Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2999 3000 [3001] 3002 3003 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6087958 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #45000 on: December 30, 2015, 12:17:23 pm »

A quick recording I made.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2749-flamingzombieapocalypse
in your movie i spotted
Orc Poet
What kind of unholy vile horror is that thing ?

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45001 on: December 30, 2015, 12:18:49 pm »

I kinda wish it was easier to impale the bodies on upright spears instead. THAT would be a fun way to deter a siege.
Can't you do that with a lever-operated upright spear?

The magma is filling up the casting chamber slowly......vveeerrrrrrryyyyyyy slowly. Casting these layers of obsidian are going to take forever, but it'll be worth the wait once I'm done. Still, I wish I could give my miners some dynamite or something so they could open a bigger hole in the side of the volcano.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45002 on: December 30, 2015, 12:31:26 pm »

The magma is filling up the casting chamber slowly......vveeerrrrrrryyyyyyy slowly. Casting these layers of obsidian are going to take forever, but it'll be worth the wait once I'm done. Still, I wish I could give my miners some dynamite or something so they could open a bigger hole in the side of the volcano.
Yes but it's more involved than just Display Corpse, you have to build the mechanisms and lever, link them up, then hope the victim doesn't bleed to death.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #45003 on: December 30, 2015, 12:33:33 pm »

in your movie i spotted
Orc Poet

Anything like an orc bard? o3o

And yeah, if I recall you can't only impale living enemies and hope they stick. If you could at least impale corpses made by other means, it would be infinitely easier.
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45004 on: December 30, 2015, 12:34:27 pm »

Yes but it's more involved than just Display Corpse, you have to build the mechanisms and lever, link them up, then hope the victim doesn't bleed to death.
Well if he doesn't bleed to death, then you can't display his corpse, can you?

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45005 on: December 30, 2015, 12:41:26 pm »

Corpses get stuck on traps when they get "Struck Down" if they bleed to death they just lay on top of it.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #45006 on: December 30, 2015, 12:57:45 pm »

Orc Poet

They're pretty bad but nowhere near as awful as vogon poets.

Also RIP Boltthrone. Everyone is officially dead - the last group held out for a few weeks before they succumbed to thirst (and insanity).

Some last thoughts before they died.

;_;

I'm gonna make an adventurer and explore the fort, then make a post of my findings in the Adventure mode version of this thread.

Pseudo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45007 on: December 30, 2015, 01:03:44 pm »

Besides that I'm about to finally finish my 90-level magma-pump-stack and move my magma smelters up to a more economic level. (It partially collapsed about four times...how do you build them quickly without that happening?!)
Every ~10 z-levels, dig out a tile next to the open square of the pump and put a horizontal axle there (turned facing towards/away from the pump).

It won't completely prevent collapses, but it'll mitigate them. (You can have them more / less often, but I find 10 z-levels is a good compromise.)
The lady the dog the paper the boy writ hit bit knit.

English is weird.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45008 on: December 30, 2015, 01:05:30 pm »

Corpses get stuck on traps when they get "Struck Down" if they bleed to death they just lay on top of it.
Well then clearly you need to impale him on no less than 10 masterwork menacing steel spikes to make sure that his death is instantaneous.

I think the magma at the edges is evaporating at the same rate magma is flowing out of the volcano; I'm going to need to enlarge the hole somehow.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45009 on: December 30, 2015, 01:09:21 pm »

Orc Poet

They're pretty bad but nowhere near as awful as vogon poets.

Also RIP Boltthrone. Everyone is officially dead - the last group held out for a few weeks before they succumbed to thirst (and insanity).

Some last thoughts before they died.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm gonna make an adventurer and explore the fort, then make a post of my findings in the Adventure mode version of this thread.
it was inevitable
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45010 on: December 30, 2015, 03:37:11 pm »

The hole has been enlarged, and after building some bridges and linking them to a lever two more holes have been made on the floors above. The chamber is filling up quite quickly now, and I expect to have the first layer of obsidian cast before the day is done. However, it seems that my animal trainers aren't training their animals.....and for the life of me I can't figure out why.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45011 on: December 30, 2015, 04:43:18 pm »

From time to time I see some leaving visitors flashing the same way as dwarves with Legendary skills. I suspect my militia sparring in the middle of the tavern might train them up to Legendary Observers during their stay.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45012 on: December 30, 2015, 04:46:17 pm »

The Forgotten Beast Ngogngo Ongasmallu has come! A towering humanoid composed of black diamond. It has a pair of knobby antennae and it has a bloated body. Beware its webs!

That one must be one of the most dangerous Forgotten Beasts I saw so far.  :o

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45013 on: December 30, 2015, 04:51:43 pm »

My reclaimed fort is coming along nicely - I've almost cleared up all the junk that was left lying around, although there are a lot of items that show red in the stocks list and cannot be moved.  I've also still got a lot of non-aggressive "hostile" civilians hanging around outside - upgrading to 42.04 hasn't fixed either of these bugs.

There are a lot fewer people than there were, though - because a were-buffalo goblin showed up and massacred several.  (It somehow got hold of some chicken-leather armour, which it used to bash in several heads.  It also grabbed someone by their upper leg and shook them around until the severed part flew off in an arc).  The werebuffalo then turned back into a goblin (and for some reason I only then got the "The Goblin Gobbo McGoblinson has arrived!" message).  He then got into a fight with a visiting swordsman, who for some reason was naked, and resorted to bashing the goblin in the head with a musical instrumnt, until the swordsmn passed out from exhaustion and the goblin esaped.

In fact, most of my non-hostile "hostile" visitors are short of clothes - I had a human lord wandering around, equipped with a pike, a helm, and a breastplate, and nothing else.

I've also had three sieges - two of which immediately ran off, while the third had all their melee-goblins flee levaing 5 archers/crossbow goblins, who were nicely positioned to allow my militia to approach from behind cover, and wipe out with only minor injuries.

In more peaceful news, I've made a few artefacts - including some sort of guitar-type instrument with two images on it: one represetning the original founding of the fortress, and the other illustrating the goblin invasion that it succumbed to.  I've also got a plain-but-useful artefact spear, a rather fancier artefact buckler, and an artefact native silver bed.  (Plus some useless artefact crafts).
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45014 on: December 30, 2015, 04:55:28 pm »

It's spring and the casting has started. Since so many of the giant toads are forgetting their training, they are being slaughtered.

The Forgotten Beast Ngogngo Ongasmallu has come! A towering humanoid composed of black diamond. It has a pair of knobby antennae and it has a bloated body. Beware its webs!

That one must be one of the most dangerous Forgotten Beasts I saw so far.  :o
It's been said before, but I'll say it again: Losing is fun.

Pages: 1 ... 2999 3000 [3001] 3002 3003 ... 3842