Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2997 2998 [2999] 3000 3001 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6088209 times)

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #44970 on: December 29, 2015, 04:07:09 pm »

I just discovered that getting magma on engraved floors defaces them. It's too late to do anything about it now though. There should be some good bar-fights soon, engravers vs. the world they're mad at!

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44971 on: December 29, 2015, 04:13:56 pm »

I just discovered that getting magma on engraved floors defaces them. It's too late to do anything about it now though. There should be some good bar-fights soon, engravers vs. the world they're mad at!
Pray tell, how did this happen? Did the magma get on the engraved floors by accident or on purpose?
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44972 on: December 29, 2015, 04:14:29 pm »

Water does too by the way.

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44973 on: December 29, 2015, 04:19:39 pm »

Pray tell, how did this happen? Did the magma get on the engraved floors by accident or on purpose?

On purpose, I'll post screen shots of my little project soon.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44974 on: December 29, 2015, 04:34:44 pm »

On purpose, I'll post screen shots of my little project soon.
Oh this should be good.

Speaking of projects, all the flooring needed for the obsidian casting has been laid down. Just a few more walls need to be set up, and then I can let the magma flow.

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44975 on: December 29, 2015, 04:41:29 pm »

Nothing special is going on in my fort...

Just two forgotten beasts seem to be engaged in an eternal fight in the second cavern layer...

...which is completly engulfed in flames by now.

The usual... ?!

Besides that I'm about to finally finish my 90-level magma-pump-stack and move my magma smelters up to a more economic level. (It partially collapsed about four times...how do you build them quickly without that happening?!)

Oh, and I had to murder dispose of two visiting vampires - one of which happened to be a Human Mace Lord vampire.
At the cost of three feet (or at least the nerves) and one dwarf mercenary.
For some reason my military does not seem to be training right, they still suck, even though they've been at it for years now...they also seem to barely ever spar for example...really got no idea what the problem is, but I also don't care too much, since I first wanted to get them some proper (steel) armor - which is taking too long due to the smelters being ~95 levels down - that's too far even with minecarts it seems.

Oh, mentioning bar fights, I had one big one once so far - finally some work for my medical dwarves! Luckily no deaths. Not like there haven't been enough of those already, with all the vampiric murders going on and the minecart accidents because "Urist McStumbling again decided (s)he took a step too far and had to stop guiding the minecart half way to the smelters due to dangerous terrain, sending it barreling down the rest of the 90 levels, smashing apart the other two dwarves supplying the smelters via minecarts".
And one of my scholars managed to die of thirst up in a tree. Made me wonder why I made such a very smart individual a scholar in the first place.
Considering I have >220 dwarves inhabitants - most of which I feel like are non-dwarven performers/etc. in my tavern - it's been quite quiet.

(PS: Just as I finished this post one of the forgotten beasts finally died. The cavern level is still ablaze though.)
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #44976 on: December 29, 2015, 05:02:55 pm »

Besides that I'm about to finally finish my 90-level magma-pump-stack and move my magma smelters up to a more economic level. (It partially collapsed about four times...how do you build them quickly without that happening?!)

The one time I built a magma pumpstack (~100z) I built it one layer at a time, starting from the lowest level up. Took a while, but never had issues with it collapsing.

Most of the time it took was spent on building the pump parts though, not actually assembling them.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44977 on: December 29, 2015, 05:03:37 pm »

Here's a sneak-peak. It's not all done yet, but it's the Cathedral of Lenses dedicated to Lörsith the goddess of victory.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44978 on: December 29, 2015, 05:15:57 pm »

Here's a sneak-peak. It's not all done yet, but it's the Cathedral of Lenses dedicated to Lörsith the goddess of victory.

>not building your cathedrals far underground, far away from any intruding invaders
Son, I want to say you've made a mistake, but I'm not sure because I don't know the ins and outs of your fort. Is that temple somehow very well protected from invaders?

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44979 on: December 29, 2015, 05:18:57 pm »

The one time I built a magma pumpstack (~100z) I built it one layer at a time, starting from the lowest level up. Took a while, but never had issues with it collapsing.

Most of the time it took was spent on building the pump parts though, not actually assembling them.
Oh yeah, I had all the pipes/tubes and corkscrews be made out of green glass. It took a few ingame years before they all were finished. But hey, cheap magma-safe material. Luckily I got a partial aquifer, free power for everyone! Looking forward to finally turning this thing on, though that also means I have to cart all the metal bars/economic stone/sand/clay/etc. 90+ levels back up again...oh well.

That forgotten beast is made out of flames. And keeps roasting everything it sees ... luckily I got no entrance to any of the cavern levels at the moment... scary thing.
Really hope that fire goes out soon...

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44980 on: December 29, 2015, 05:24:09 pm »

"Written on the item is a manual entitled Biographies After The End authored by Tosid Agecrystal. It concerns the method of compiling several biographies to compare and contrast the subjects character and to gain insight into history."

This is surprisingly sophisticated  :o

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44981 on: December 29, 2015, 05:24:22 pm »

The walls are (almost) complete, and the magma has started flowing. I'm almost certain that last wall will be completed before the magma will ever get near it, but boy will it be !!FUN!! if I'm wrong.

Edit: I was very much right.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 05:26:40 pm by cochramd »

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44982 on: December 29, 2015, 05:28:21 pm »

>not building your cathedrals far underground, far away from any intruding invaders
Son, I want to say you've made a mistake, but I'm not sure because I don't know the ins and outs of your fort. Is that temple somehow very well protected from invaders?

Once the volcano refills it will be completely surrounded by magma, top and bottom, so I would say that's pretty well defended. There are also magma safe bridges on both ends in case of a breach. I'm not sure what magma creatures are building destroyers, but "what are the chances...?" In the worst case scenario I would have to redrain the volcano and repair it. I probably won't even keep the outer gate open until I retire the fort.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44983 on: December 29, 2015, 05:54:45 pm »

Once the volcano refills it will be completely surrounded by magma, top and bottom, so I would say that's pretty well defended. There are also magma safe bridges on both ends in case of a breach. I'm not sure what magma creatures are building destroyers, but "what are the chances...?" In the worst case scenario I would have to redrain the volcano and repair it. I probably won't even keep the outer gate open until I retire the fort.
There's Fire Men and Magma Men, but I don't see how they're going to be able to destroy any buildings with your set-up.

Halfway through spring, and I've seen neither goblins nor elves, though some migrants have arrived. I'm getting concerned and confused.

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44984 on: December 29, 2015, 07:48:21 pm »

My (previous) chief medical dwarf was the unluckiest dwarf I have seen ... when disposing of the vampires he got hurt ... on several other occassions he got hurt ... and now a minecart decided to crush his lower body.
Well, I guess that's also a way to keep other dwarves from getting harmed, since he pretty much blocked the minecart from going into the crowd of other dwarves.

Minecarts...the most dangerous thing that can happen to any dwarf in my fortresses. Meh.
Rest in uhm...pieces Lolor Imushlosis.

And shortly after another minecart accident occured. I feel like some of my dwarves are deliberatly pushing - instead of guiding - them down the track when there're people around. I wish minecarts would also get a kill list.

Oh, and...always remember to implement a brake into your massive power system, just in case you want to stop the fps-lag-fest at some point.
So...currently building 60 millstones to put power consumption over my excessive power output.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 07:52:57 pm by SyrusLD »
Pages: 1 ... 2997 2998 [2999] 3000 3001 ... 3842