Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2994 2995 [2996] 2997 2998 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6088487 times)

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #44925 on: December 27, 2015, 10:07:43 am »

I have completed: Whippit Version 2.0

Prisoners are led to a solid silver cube build aboveground.  Through a golden stairway surrounded with copper, they are placed on the highest level to await processing.  Once ready, they are taken one level below, on top of an inner cube made out of lead.  There, they are dropped into one of the nine shafts, which leads to the interior seen here.

The surface consists of lead floor and lead grates, with the outside lined with golden vertical bars.  A checkerboard pattern of weapon traps has been set up, with each trap containing one, and only one whip.

In previous versions, this would've caused a shower of blood as the goblins are left to die over the course of not days, but years.  However, with the recent version's huge buff to whips, goblins barely have time to panic across a dozen of those traps before they succumb to their wounds.  Still, I felt like doing this structure in spirit of the olden days.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #44926 on: December 27, 2015, 11:46:53 am »

Eeeviiil. Now do it with adamatine warhammers and you can get the old-school "takes forever to die" meat grinder.

Alternatively...whips are insanely good. Admantine blunt weapons are insanely shitty. What would an adamantine whip be like?
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44927 on: December 27, 2015, 12:05:35 pm »

Eeeviiil. Now do it with adamatine warhammers and you can get the old-school "takes forever to die" meat grinder.

Alternatively...whips are insanely good. Admantine blunt weapons are insanely shitty. What would an adamantine whip be like?
Insanely insane.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #44928 on: December 27, 2015, 12:13:28 pm »

That is pretty much a given with ideas like that. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #44929 on: December 27, 2015, 12:18:46 pm »

okay as someone unfamiliar with thaat texture pack can you tell me what all the things mean? I know ^ is traps.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44930 on: December 27, 2015, 12:59:25 pm »

You know what 2 things my fort defenses completely can't handle? Titans and forgotten beasts.

You know what just showed up?

I've ordered everyone to retreat underground. I was hoping that a legion of invaders would show up and end up handling it for me, but no, it's gotten past the trapline. Now my only hope is that it makes it to the underground chamber and gets assaulted by war dogs, cave crocodiles, giant olms, giant toads and all of my citizens at once. Or maybe it'll just leave. Do titans ever just leave?

Edit: oh Armok, it's not pathing anywhere. There's no food or drink in my underground chamber. Time to make a hundred silver maces and throw half my population at it.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 01:16:03 pm by cochramd »
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44931 on: December 27, 2015, 01:26:34 pm »

Learning Lessons.
  • Cannot properly memorialize / bury a dwarf without either his body or stone.  I've yet to breach the aquifer so I lack the latter, and the body is inconveniently considered unreachable even when I pump out the water
  • I've learned that I can drain aquifer layer one into aquifer layer two with a simple stair case. I learn this as I am finishing layer one on my two layer aquifer, so net benefit is 2 walls laid faster.
  • That the first mood I get would be just after the first caravan visit, and the first item it requires is stone, which I do not have nor did the caravan bring
  • That immigrants + deaths will leave me with as many adult dwarves as children.  My meeting area looks like a day care, and if I recruit a full sqad work grinds to a halt

Lessons not learned:
  • Why a pumped slit on a double slit aquifer puncture would never drain below 4/7
  • Why 2 dwarves would consecutively drown themselves in the slit, after I canceled all jobs in it.
  • Why a third dwarf would drown himself in 7/7 water after I'd forbid everything in the slit.
  • Why I can't bloody make a steel slab or oak slab or whatever.
  • Why the game chooses to crash on the last walls of piercing an aquifer

Well, moody died, and I've recovered three of the four aquifer dead, back down to one umburied corpse... With the crash I'm having to re-recover bodies and re-wall one slit of the first layer.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44932 on: December 27, 2015, 02:30:02 pm »

It just occurred to me that bludgeoning weapons might not be the best way to deal with titans, even ones made of mere flesh and bone. Have to go hang out with the family for a bit, so I'll report the outcome of the upcoming battle later.

You know, the upside to all this is that the resulting population drop is going to bring my framerate back up and reduce the size of incoming sieges, making it safer to take replace parts of my trapline. Also, this is the only titan in the world, so once he's dead I'll never have to worry about this happening again.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 02:32:50 pm by cochramd »

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Tatjam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44933 on: December 27, 2015, 09:11:01 pm »

I started a new fort in a "dangerous" place, just for !!fun!!.

After about 2 years i had a werebeast come, hoping for my traps to kill it i just locked my people inside, and prepared the military to kill the thing...

It skipped all the traps, and killed 3 of my recruits, the remaining 4 (with help from some miners) took it down, all being bitten...

After a little about 10 guys converted into more werebeasts, killing ~15 dwarves and bitting another 10 dwarves

There are about 8 dwarves not infected, any idea what to do?

An image picturing the massacre:   (Huge picture!)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cheers!

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44934 on: December 27, 2015, 09:18:41 pm »

I'm liking how dwarves from the old fort can migrate to your new one.  World domination and revival of old dead civilizations, yes.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44935 on: December 27, 2015, 09:56:02 pm »

After about 2 years i had a werebeast come, hoping for my traps to kill it i just locked my people inside, and prepared the military to kill the thing...

It skipped all the traps, and killed 3 of my recruits, the remaining 4 (with help from some miners) took it down, all being bitten...

Yup, werecritters have TRAPAVOID.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44936 on: December 27, 2015, 09:58:39 pm »

Man, it was disappointing that only one dwarf died when I ordered them to attack the beast. Nevertheless, the beast is dead! Nevermore will I need to worry about foes that I cannot just hide from behind my trapline. I have caused the world to pass into the golden age......and my dwarfs had very little time to eat and drink before the siege showed up. Bring it on, gobbos!

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44937 on: December 28, 2015, 12:42:39 am »

I haven't even started anything on this world yet and my dwarves are already impressing me.

"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44938 on: December 28, 2015, 12:46:01 am »

I haven't even started anything on this world yet and my dwarves are already impressing me.

I add childsnatcher to elves to ensure this exact scenario

RickRollYou2

• Bay Watcher
  • [START_BIOME:EARTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44939 on: December 28, 2015, 12:50:43 am »

I started a new fort in a "dangerous" place, just for !!fun!!.

After a little about 10 guys converted into more werebeasts, killing ~15 dwarves and bitting another 10 dwarves

There are about 8 dwarves not infected, any idea what to do?

An image picturing the massacre:   (Huge picture!)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cheers!

If you don't mind me asking, which tileset is that?
Pages: 1 ... 2994 2995 [2996] 2997 2998 ... 3842