Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2992 2993 [2994] 2995 2996 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6088594 times)

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #44895 on: December 26, 2015, 04:41:36 am »

Hmmmm, just had two human Lady Consorts in the latest goblin siege. What's up with that? One had a human name and the other a goblin name. I captured the one with the gobbo name. I'm curious about how this happened. I didn't record the other one's name so I don't know if it's worth opening up the legends mode. I get a lot of human consorts visiting my fort, but I didn't recognize the ones that came in the siege. Maybe they're from a different human civ, or maybe the gobbo civ has human overlords?

The idea of capturing nobles (especially from a third civ?) in a battle brings up all kinds of wonderful ideas about ransom and extracting political compromises from their civs. Too bad we can't currently chain sentients. I would love to stake him out front, but he would probably just be killed by the first human mercenary who shows up. This siege killed at least three of them coming or going from my fort.

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #44896 on: December 26, 2015, 05:24:00 am »

Hmmmm, just had two human Lady Consorts in the latest goblin siege. What's up with that? One had a human name and the other a goblin name. I captured the one with the gobbo name. I'm curious about how this happened. I didn't record the other one's name so I don't know if it's worth opening up the legends mode.

Open legends (even in fortress mode with Ctrl-Shift-L using DFHack). If the other human died on the battlefield, you should be able to find his body using the stocks menu (human body parts, etc). Select it, and then you can use DFHack command deathcause to find out how he died, which should tell you his name IIRC.

The one with the goblin name was probably the descendant of a captive.

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #44897 on: December 26, 2015, 05:37:39 am »

Breached the first layer, causing moss to grow all over my fire clay. Clay isn't nearly as exciting as I thought it would be, anyway.

First unfriendly was an Ettin. Birthed at the beginning of time, with over 100 kills to his name. My iron-clad army shred it to pieces, and then a passing miner delivered deathblow with his pick. For some reason, his memorial slab says he was "lost."

In the first week of Spring, after creating two artifacts over the winter, I greeted 27 dwarves -- a full third of whom are fisherdwarves. Also captured an entire conga of badgers, who are probably the first non-flying critter to show up on the map. Tempted to explore the caverns by designating fishing zones

The peak of the caverns happens to be both directly above the lake and directly below my fort. Nearly-instant well!

All in all, this is probably the longest I've ever played a single fort. I usually get bored quickly or frustrated with the interface. Note that this is also the first time I've ever used any utility program. I seriously cannot believe I played this game off and on for 7 seven years before trying them.

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44898 on: December 26, 2015, 07:51:42 am »

A Human vampire wrestler(crossbowman practically) showed up in my fortress and requested residency. This left me with a dilemma. I could refuse residency and order my military to kill him before he killed a dwarf, but that ran the risk of him killing them, something i was well aware of after a vampire scholar managed to disable two soldiers before going down. Or i could keep him around, which removed the military option but would allow me to set up another trap to kill him or just keep him around until a siege showed up at which point i could send him single-handily against it.

I decided on the second option, which allowed him to prove his worth by killing a were-tortoise. However after he drained  my master carpenter i decided i would have to kill him.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
His great skill in killing people did not save him from being hit with a minecart full of half a ton of marble.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #44899 on: December 26, 2015, 12:40:46 pm »

Huehuehue. I would've simply locked the bloodsucker up in a lever room. At least...hmm. Can mercenaries be assigned levers using the profile?

Either way, need some method to get the vampire merc locked away, then build a controlled cavein device overhead.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #44900 on: December 26, 2015, 01:33:12 pm »

First unfriendly was an Ettin. Birthed at the beginning of time, with over 100 kills to his name. My iron-clad army shred it to pieces, and then a passing miner delivered deathblow with his pick. For some reason, his memorial slab says he was "lost."

I always found it funny how spineless legends sites are. One gobbo rush and it's mere decimation.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #44901 on: December 26, 2015, 02:43:27 pm »

It's probably because worldgen people can't actually train their soldiers very well.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #44902 on: December 26, 2015, 02:56:02 pm »

It's probably because worldgen people can't actually train their soldiers very well.

If I recall, unfucking that has been a common suggestion.

So...oh right. I had a vampire law-giver visit my fort with the human caravan, as a diplomat. The news page he gave was DAMN long, due to a couple of "goblin army" events leading to multiple pages of refugee group events.

He's lucky I tolerated his bloodsucking kind. I won't accept any would-be mercs or poets that have been claimed by the sanguine curse, but a visitor that plays nice and doesn't nibble on the baroness? You'll live to terrorize your kind another night.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #44903 on: December 26, 2015, 04:21:37 pm »

I thought it was because world activation battles are decided by "whoever attacks, wins"? Till more sophisticated systems are in place.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #44904 on: December 26, 2015, 04:34:43 pm »

Oh, and that too.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44905 on: December 26, 2015, 04:51:56 pm »

I love how a half dozen of my dwarves climbed up a spore tree to wail on a frightened cave crocodile with goblets until they get tired and bored.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #44906 on: December 26, 2015, 05:43:38 pm »

I built a building destroyer trap in the caverns to attract building destroyers and trap them in cage traps.

The trap works. It drew a cave dragon. Apparently my design is defective, since the dragon could stand outside the ring of cave traps and destroy the cabinet I built as bait. Also the dragon killed several marksdwarves and several visitors who were dumb enough to try leaving through the caverns.

Also, mining a sedimentary layer and finding nothing but tetrahedrite and galena veins. This is the third fort in a row where I haven't got either iron or ores for bronze. Annoying. I've got tons of useless sphalerite. Brass is useless.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44907 on: December 26, 2015, 06:08:01 pm »

Apparently my design is defective, since the dragon could stand outside the ring of cave traps and destroy the cabinet I built as bait.

Building destroyers have to be precisely 2 tiles away from their target to destroy it.  If the cages are directly adjacent to the furniture, then yeah, you need to make some adjustments.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Skribbblie

• Bay Watcher
  • Dlaglunkis slugutalbis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44908 on: December 26, 2015, 06:11:13 pm »

I decided to save scum my fort in a reanimating biome due to a (flock?) of severed undead raven heads getting past a door I was almost certain I had locked.

And that's a bit of a problem, see. Because they're invincible, see.

It's always the undead ravens, isn't it?
I'm not really sure that maiming someone and forcing them to live with a crippling disability for your amusement can really be considered "merciful." Just sayin'.
Dwarven mercy.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #44909 on: December 26, 2015, 06:20:06 pm »

« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 06:47:52 pm by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 2992 2993 [2994] 2995 2996 ... 3842