Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2991 2992 [2993] 2994 2995 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6089641 times)

Lossmar

• Bay Watcher
  • Humanity Fuck Yeah !!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #44880 on: December 25, 2015, 08:00:53 pm »

One of my auxillary dwarves was struck by a fey mood and now i have artifact copper sword and legendary weaponsmith <3 ( had to slaughter two of my buffalos for the leather - sorry guys ;__;7 )

Shame i dont have iron yet but hey its a start :>
How to cure gaming industry in couple easy steps :
1. Stop preordering games.
2. Stop hyping games that have nothing to show except pre-rendered hype trailer.
3. Always distrust corporations.
4. Always rage at criminal DLC , microtransactions, pre-order bonuses and other semi legal practices.

RickRollYou2

• Bay Watcher
  • [START_BIOME:EARTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44881 on: December 25, 2015, 08:35:22 pm »

Ithra Shipburial, a human hammerman, is petitioning to join my fortress. A quick background check reveals that he was born in 192... which makes him 108 years old. That's sort of... old for a mercenary, isn't it?

I'm half expecting Cohen the Barbarian and the rest of the Silver Horde to turn up next.

Be careful, humans have a max age of 120, so he could very well die of old age while serving in your military.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44882 on: December 25, 2015, 08:44:56 pm »

Ithra Shipburial, a human hammerman, is petitioning to join my fortress. A quick background check reveals that he was born in 192... which makes him 108 years old. That's sort of... old for a mercenary, isn't it?

I'm half expecting Cohen the Barbarian and the rest of the Silver Horde to turn up next.

Be careful, humans have a max age of 120, so he could very well make sure he doesn't die of old age while serving in your military.

There ye go. And don't knock those old timer humans. Had one that was a 105 year old great granny who sliced armored goblins in half with a two-hander once. Granted that might've been the masterwork modifier on that sword doing it, but still.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #44883 on: December 25, 2015, 08:55:17 pm »

I just caught 3 of my military members giving misc. object user demonstrations, and 3 watching those. Those are remnants from the days, back when I didn't dump all mugs from their hands yet, and still had tavern keepers equipping them with mugs.

Last fight I spotted someone bashing a goblin in the nose with a wooden shield and exploding it in gore so I suppose it's all good.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44884 on: December 25, 2015, 08:57:55 pm »

I built Fivefountains, a fort to see if I could have four water fountains surrounding a central magma fountain.

Not only did that, but put the magma fountain on a lever toggle, so you can turn it on or off, if you wish.  :o  As far as I can tell, it's completely safe.. No vaporizations so far.

Good times!

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44885 on: December 25, 2015, 09:21:27 pm »

Ah, let's take a look at my legendary glassmaker.  He dreamed of mastering a skill, and that dream was realized.

It's just too bad he mastered crutch-walking instead of something useful.

I have a master chemist.  It should be fun to get a legendary chemist without, I don't know, actually doing chemistry.

Now I'm eagerly awaiting a legendary reader.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 09:35:48 pm by Bouchart »

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #44886 on: December 25, 2015, 09:27:15 pm »

Not anything currently going on, but I've got a map with a the volcano exactly in the center of the continent, right at the juncture of all the species' territories, and it's going to be amazing.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #44887 on: December 25, 2015, 11:54:38 pm »

The Tufted CatSacks *really* know how to throw a birthday party! You know things have gotten out of hand when an Ettin shows up wearing TWO lampshades. And I don't even want to *talk* about what happened to the cat, except to say that Urvad should NOT become a vet.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 01:45:38 am by Romeofalling »

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44888 on: December 26, 2015, 12:11:03 am »

Welp, that escalated quickly.

Last year I used the caravan as a dump for all my excess crap, and asked for all the animals.

This year, they brought ALL the animals. 94 total. Including Cavys and Rabbits.

Their entire caravan was worth ~45k, and what with all the meals I'd made from all the meat, cheese, etc they'd brought me last year (plus what I had made from harvested plants), I dumped about 160k onto them, including the damn stone blocks I made when I had thought that Masons could make beds.

>.>

<.<

Now I have to scramble to find pasturage for all of the grazers.

Though I suppose the easiest thing to do would be to just keep all of the females, and use all but 1 of the males as cooking/bonecrafting fodder.

I have also started placing cage traps at strategic points on the volcano (and removing ramps so animals that go up there have to pass through the traps), and begun domesticating the local animals.

So far, about 7 Emu and a barn owl.

Although I have to say, with 11 Alpaca, 10 goats, 8 llamas, and 8 sheep, my cloth industry is gong strong. Especially since I have a Grand Master Dyer and a Legendary +5 Weaver. Once I actually start using the Cloth and get a Legendary Clothier, my products will be ridiculously expensive.

.........can you encrust any clothier-type stuff with gems?

I may have some decently experienced gem cutters as a side effect of trying to get rid of the stone clutter.....and a decent stock of worthless cut Slate I could use to train up gem setters. Hell, I got a Grand Master Setter in a migration wave. Right now he's biding his time cutting up Slate.

If you'll excuse me, I just found the Gender and Orientation dropdown for my animals. Time to make sure I only have breeders.

Man that sounds horrible.

EDIT: aaaaand there go the Cavy Sows.

Great.

all owned pets are to be gelded, since they don't breed by spores anymore, and they refuse to be pastured.

Aaaaand cutting down on all non-wool producing males.

......and I REALLY don't need 8 roosters.

heh. the only homosexual male I have is a duckling.

The Little Gay Duckling sounds like a kid's book.

Though apparently I'm going through some kind of Dwarf Therapist bug, where some of the animals will be trained to mine, most of them right before they are butchered.

:D

EDIT1: They brought me 5 Cavys, 2 of which were asexual females (the only females). Go figure.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 12:28:05 am by Maul_Junior »
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

SpiritArmor

• Bay Watcher
  • Your curiosity will be the death of you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44889 on: December 26, 2015, 12:44:54 am »

Had my third goblin siege this fort, over a six-year period- which is a little annoying, since I'm relying on Goblinite to keep my military equipped (I only have silver ores and no armor/weaponsmiths).

The first one was a non-starter since the goblins chased a few livestock before running off, and the second one was all crossbowmen (only clothes and leather armor, boo) who I shot dead with my new watchtower, so I wasn't expecting much.

THIS siege was about 90 strong, 2/3 gobbos and 1/3 trolls and beak dogs. Planned to sit it out with a locked gate and archers in my watchtower, but I kept the gate open just a little too long and some of my military slipped through, enticed by the prospect of impending murder.

Three idiots- one human mercenary mace lord and two of my dwarven mace/hammer lords- started decimating goblins as they trickled toward my fort. I commanded the rest of my squads to go over there, but they hadn't been prepared, so MY guys were running out like stragglers.

... I thought I was about to lose my military, but the way my fort's exterior is designed forces everyone to hug the wall as they run toward the entrance. Line of sight saved my military, since enemy archers in the back couldn't get a bead on my idiots. In the end, four dwarves, two goblin mercenaries, and one human mercenary accounted for all 90 siegers. The only casualties were the human mercenary and one dwarf mace lord, and the only hospitalized injury was some poor bastard who got shot in the leg, shoulder, and arm.

And I get about 50+ gobbos' worth of weapons, ammo, and armor. I think it's a good trade.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44890 on: December 26, 2015, 01:16:08 am »

aaaaaand this fortress may have just suffered a premature FPS death. things were going fine, then I unpaused after buying everything from the merchants/butcher queues.

Dropped down to 3-5 FPS.

eesh.

there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #44891 on: December 26, 2015, 01:35:15 am »

A merchant saw the dead werezebra in a pit near the depot where my militia managed to kill it.  He was overcome with horror and scuttled his wagon.  Now the merchants are leaving, I've got a pile of trash I don't want sitting in the middle of my road, and I wasn't able to dump a hefty profit on them to encourage a bigger caravan next year.  Overcome by horror?  Ruin another caravan for me, Ramstom Saffronblazed, and I'll give you something serious to be upset about.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #44892 on: December 26, 2015, 01:47:29 am »

Wait, they don't breed by spores anymore? Is that why my drake has yet to fertilize any eggs?

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44893 on: December 26, 2015, 01:55:35 am »

as of DF2014, IIRC, they have to be next to the other creature in order to breed.

HiddenEyes056

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh my gosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44894 on: December 26, 2015, 03:26:34 am »

Recently, seven dwarves headed out to a nice little spot next to a brook and called it Avalkol. Within a season, the expedition leader had fallen madly in love with the mason, the pair feeling tenderness towards one another. I thought this was quite fast and put it down to personality traits, only to find that my expedition leader finds romance distasteful! Then, I discovered the true reason for this whirlwind relationship.

Avalkol means 'Lovewheels'. Time to dedicate my fortress to truth and love, and extend my reach to the stars above!

UPDATE:

Many performers and warriors have come to visit our small tavern, including one human who turned out to be a Wererhinoceros. Our eager but ill-equipped militia jumped into action, losing two soldiers in the process. Two more were bitten in the battle and were sentenced to indefinite quarantine. They have been told to use their time to ponder the mysteries of the universe, and occasionally their rhinocerosly bellows can be heard between mutterings about pulleys and equations. We are only fortunate that we were able to lock them in when we did, for their first transformation was a mere week after the wall was built to hold them.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 06:58:59 am by HiddenEyes056 »
So basically the Mountainhomes is now sending complimentary cheese dip with every caravan.
A named spider who died centuries before I even played was helping rescue kids I had in fact rescued.
Pages: 1 ... 2991 2992 [2993] 2994 2995 ... 3842