Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2990 2991 [2992] 2993 2994 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6089655 times)

Comito

• Bay Watcher
  • Barrens chat scribe
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #44865 on: December 25, 2015, 02:39:22 pm »

I plan on starting a mostly above-ground settlement.

What are some things I should know about such an endeavor? Should I disable cave adaptation, or does that take a while to set in? I plan on making a semi-realistic mineshaft for ore gathering.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44866 on: December 25, 2015, 02:40:27 pm »

What are some things I should know about such an endeavor? Should I disable cave adaptation, or does that take a while to set in? I plan on making a semi-realistic mineshaft for ore gathering.

Depends on what you're building it out of. The miners may be the only ones to get cave adapted even if it's mostly made of stone.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #44867 on: December 25, 2015, 03:59:03 pm »

Year 225 started, 13 years of my, by now, dwarven capital existence

A goblin siege came , the  7th goblin siege that ever attacked the fort, a big one, 300 enemies !

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The game became an incredibly slow lagfest as soon as the 2 armies collided, only got back to playable level once the gobs lost half their numbers.

checking the U screen after battle show that after 13 years , my fort isn't exactly the best destination for tourists

Tatjam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44868 on: December 25, 2015, 04:15:52 pm »

(First post here! Also new to DF, playing my 2nd fortress right now)

I have been trying to cave-in some ice to melt it, my attemps have almost killed 4 legendary miners, 2 of them are in a hospital right now, internal organs (somewhat) destroyed... They will possibly die.  ::)

Also, somewhat one of my miners flew a few Z-levels up into a tree. I thought cutting down the tree would cause no harm...

Cheers!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44869 on: December 25, 2015, 05:42:56 pm »

Apparently my dwarves love to read.  I've got 5 table/chairs in the library, and... more than 5 dwarves reading?  Oh, man.  I'll have to check where they're doing it.

(Turns out they read in the library, just standing right next to a bookshelf.  Presumably the shelf that the quire was on, before they grabbed it.)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 05:55:23 pm by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #44870 on: December 25, 2015, 05:45:29 pm »

I think you meant werebeast... forgotten beasts are much more !!fun!!

Were-forgotten-beasts would be the most Fun threat ever.

Try Were-elephants, Were-turtles or were-badgers.

I want to see a giant were GCS
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Lossmar

• Bay Watcher
  • Humanity Fuck Yeah !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44871 on: December 25, 2015, 06:25:22 pm »

Strangest shit happened in my fort just now.

My Main entrance is at the ground level, and first farms/workshops/bedrooms level is at level -3.
And somehow up/down stairways on level -1 turned into ONLY downard stairways causing my carpenter to cancel all his jobs because lack of wood, migrants getting stuck at ground level etc.
I discovered it only after browsing all the forum threads about "why my haulers refuse to haul wood" and some of the most profane, loudest and most passionate cursing in my entire life.
Strange stuff.
How to cure gaming industry in couple easy steps :
1. Stop preordering games.
2. Stop hyping games that have nothing to show except pre-rendered hype trailer.
3. Always distrust corporations.
4. Always rage at criminal DLC , microtransactions, pre-order bonuses and other semi legal practices.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #44872 on: December 25, 2015, 06:49:20 pm »

My Main entrance is at the ground level, and first farms/workshops/bedrooms level is at level -3.
And somehow up/down stairways on level -1 turned into ONLY downard stairways causing my carpenter to cancel all his jobs because lack of wood, migrants getting stuck at ground level etc.
I discovered it only after browsing all the forum threads about "why my haulers refuse to haul wood" and some of the most profane, loudest and most passionate cursing in my entire life.
Strange stuff.

You sure you didn't designate down staircases by mistake? ;w;
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #44873 on: December 25, 2015, 06:55:50 pm »

Hehehe. Rare catch. I just caught a kobold thief in a cage trap. He ran into my human axelord who chopped off his arm while it stood on the trap. It passed out and got trapped.

I CAN NOW INSTALL A ONE-ARMED BANDIT IN MY TAVERN
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #44874 on: December 25, 2015, 06:59:41 pm »

slow clap
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Lossmar

• Bay Watcher
  • Humanity Fuck Yeah !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44875 on: December 25, 2015, 07:00:05 pm »

Strange stuff.

You sure you didn't designate down staircases by mistake? ;w;

Well no.

I had 1x3 down stairs on the surface and 1x3 up/down ones starting at the -1 level. And at the end of my first year, LONG after setting up shared bedroom for my starting 7, after setting up farms and workshops, suddenly my carpenter refuese to work even tho there were more than 800 logs on the surface and two huge stockpiles of wood were empty despite having 5 dwarfs on hauling wood. I checked "job list", tried to dump those logs, redesigned stockpiles etc and only by sheer accident i discovered that those god damned stairs somehow turned into one way street ....
2. Stop hyping games that have nothing to show except pre-rendered hype trailer.
4. Always rage at criminal DLC , microtransactions, pre-order bonuses and other semi legal practices.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44876 on: December 25, 2015, 07:22:42 pm »

Well no.

I had 1x3 down stairs on the surface and 1x3 up/down ones starting at the -1 level. And at the end of my first year, LONG after setting up shared bedroom for my starting 7, after setting up farms and workshops, suddenly my carpenter refuese to work even tho there were more than 800 logs on the surface and two huge stockpiles of wood were empty despite having 5 dwarfs on hauling wood. I checked "job list", tried to dump those logs, redesigned stockpiles etc and only by sheer accident i discovered that those god damned stairs somehow turned into one way street ....

Have you been removing up stairs/ramps near the stairs by any chance? I once got sloppy with d-z designations and accidentally turned a part of my main staircase into down stairs. Half of my mining team nearly died of thirst.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Lossmar

• Bay Watcher
  • Humanity Fuck Yeah !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44877 on: December 25, 2015, 07:24:42 pm »

Nope, haven't touched it ;/

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44878 on: December 25, 2015, 07:31:16 pm »

Ithra Shipburial, a human hammerman, is petitioning to join my fortress. A quick background check reveals that he was born in 192... which makes him 108 years old. That's sort of... old for a mercenary, isn't it?

I'm half expecting Cohen the Barbarian and the rest of the Silver Horde to turn up next.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Comito

• Bay Watcher
  • Barrens chat scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #44879 on: December 25, 2015, 07:32:23 pm »

Depends on what you're building it out of. The miners may be the only ones to get cave adapted even if it's mostly made of stone.

Apologies for the late reply.

Probably wood, mostly. Not many elves in this world so I don't expect too much trouble from them.

Might also make glass windows if I can.
Pages: 1 ... 2990 2991 [2992] 2993 2994 ... 3842