Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2974 2975 [2976] 2977 2978 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6092004 times)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #44625 on: December 17, 2015, 10:37:30 pm »

I'm being besieged by the undead. Based on their Arnold-like physiques, I assume them to remain absurdly strong as in previous versions, and I don't really have a military.

Tell me, do zombies get grabbed by cage traps?
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44626 on: December 17, 2015, 10:44:43 pm »

My Fortress seems to be slowly sliding into madness. Many of my dwarves live in incredible luxury, yet others sleep on the dining room floor while corpses rot in the hallways, despite my vast new graveyard. The dumping of corpses from the frequent short-lived sieges, as well as past forgotten beast massacre, has taken its toll on the mental health of my dwarves, with many of them now haggard from the stress. My newly elected mayor(the old one was punched in the head by a tantrumer) is worse, having become "utterly harrowed with the nightmare that is his tragic life".

While my military is now more than capable of dealing with pretty much anything, the real danger comes from within. The more violent dwarfs have now tantrum enough to train their fighting skills to levels where they can kill dwarves with a few punchs. In this year alone i have lost more than a dozen dwarfs in this way, with the most high profile victim being my queen herself!.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I was also attacked by a cyclops, but it did not last long.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #44627 on: December 17, 2015, 10:45:28 pm »

Tell me, do zombies get grabbed by cage traps?
Pretty sure they do, yeah. Not very fun a way of dealing with it, but yeah, that'd probably work.

Fort news, after going to all the trouble of setting up Roundsack's reservoir and even irrigating a farm via pumping water onto cavern floor to get mud, rather than build a farm in the soil layers, and now I'm finding that there's very little metal. Disappointing. I did get to enjoy the spectacle of a pump operator climbing across a chasm above the caverns, which the reservoir drained into, so that he could get back into the fort after spill-back pushed him into the current. That was entertaining.

Getting bored of the fort layout, suppose I could destroy it and start a new fort elsewhere. Or maybe in a new world.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #44628 on: December 17, 2015, 10:52:56 pm »

Thank you muchly for the info!

My current way of dealing with the siege is to turtle forever, so I'd say grabbing some zombies for future use against living enemies is, comparatively, pretty fun.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #44629 on: December 17, 2015, 11:10:59 pm »

My first major accident happened.

I decided to deconstruct my Tavern, as it was just too costly an investment.
However, in marking the entire building for deconstruction, I failed to take into account that dwarves don't care about the order in which they remove things, right up until the point where it kills them.

I have 3 dead dwarves now, 2 died in the accident and 1 died after going mad from dehydration.

It was during this moment of weakness, when The Fire Nation a group of goblin invaders attacked! Blast!

In the wake of this sudden invasion, the equally sudden realization that I had no idea what I was doing struck me like a turkey bone bolt to the neck. I promptly retired from my position as Overseer and left it to some other unlucky soul.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 11:25:57 pm by AzyWng »

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #44630 on: December 17, 2015, 11:59:11 pm »

Amusingly, just as I finished setting up an entirely non-fun, trap-based solution to the zombies, and a dwarf was taking down the wall between them and me, the siege decided to leave.

...Hah! Cowards! :V
Muh FG--OOC Thread

AMTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44631 on: December 18, 2015, 02:09:58 am »

I messed up and everyone died

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44632 on: December 18, 2015, 02:17:51 am »

Yes, but the how is what is fun.

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44633 on: December 18, 2015, 03:02:33 am »

I eagerly await the day this happens to me

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44634 on: December 18, 2015, 05:38:13 am »

I really need to focus on keeping everyone happy for awhile. I've got a lot of stressed dwarves and I just had my first lethal bar fight. A miner sent a bunch of dwarfs to the hospital and killed my original tavern keeper. I sort of like that dwarf, so the miner is now exploring the third caverns by herself after getting patched up. Her father was my first military commander who was also a favorite and who died fighting off Goblin hordes at the door to the fort. I thought about sparring the miner due to her father, but when I looked at personality screen she was saying "I won't change my mind." "Find then, I won't either." She's starting to get hungry though, we'll see who compromises first.

Overall it seems like the new personality needs need more careful management. I'm surprised how many unmet needs my dwarves can have. So far I've tended to go with one dwarf/one job. As long as it's a half-way decent fit and they can advance it normally works. Now my dwarves want to make crafts, practice military skills, think abstractly, pray and maybe a couple of other random things.

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44635 on: December 18, 2015, 08:07:29 am »

Double post, but I just had to share. It seems that tavern brawls are really upping the fighting skills of my average dwarves. I just had and engraver take down a Giant Toad totally bare handed. The Toad never hit him and after 4 pages of pummeling it gave up the ghost.

RickRollYou2

• Bay Watcher
  • [START_BIOME:EARTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44636 on: December 18, 2015, 08:55:10 am »

I've never had a bar fight--does anyone know how they start? Do I need unhappy dwarves (much like the tantrums of old) and dwarves with certain traits?

On a side note, I only just got the courage to experiment and found out that slaughtering your guests doesn't seem to do anything to deter more from coming, which seems like a pretty cheap (if cheaty) way to get armour and weapons.

Innocent Dave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44637 on: December 18, 2015, 09:24:27 am »

I've never had a bar fight--does anyone know how they start?

Seems you need the alcohol to be flowing, which means you need to set up your bar in a certain way - see other threads for details, but it seems to require designating the bar from a meeting area rather than a table, and having booze, cups, and bardwarves available.
Reaching one's life goal shouldn't come with a happy thought.  It should come with a sudden existential crisis.

kingu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44638 on: December 18, 2015, 10:02:43 am »

I've never had a bar fight--does anyone know how they start?

Seems you need the alcohol to be flowing, which means you need to set up your bar in a certain way - see other threads for details, but it seems to require designating the bar from a meeting area rather than a table, and having booze, cups, and bardwarves available.

Not so sure about that. I have a fully functioning tavern with booze flowing and two bartenders serving and my fort gets no fights at all.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44639 on: December 18, 2015, 10:17:37 am »

The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.
Pages: 1 ... 2974 2975 [2976] 2977 2978 ... 3842