Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2971 2972 [2973] 2974 2975 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6092147 times)

EuphoriaToRegret

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
    • My Newgrounds Art
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #44580 on: December 15, 2015, 12:05:03 pm »

While looking through relationships, I noticed that a scribe has a named dog as an acquaintance?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Is that normal? I don't remember dogs being anything other than considered a pet.

Pseudo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44581 on: December 15, 2015, 12:25:03 pm »

How does one reproduce the "all the flour ever" roast, or the "all the fruits/leaves", or... and so on. It SEEMS like a Planepacked, but I'm doubting the kitchen job would act exactly like a mood...

Or wait! The kitchen job sometimes, IIRC, continues even if one of the ingredients is forbidden! The dwarf simply gets another! So it may act like moods...

But they won't accept it if it's not in their burrow. Sigh. Off to experiment, I guess?
I'm not sure. But my fort seems to produce them on a semi-regular basis, and I don't have any burrows. (Well, I have one for a civilian alert, but it hasn't been enabled for a long time.)

"Meat"loaf II: Revenge of the Sugar

Weight: 126Γ. Value: 978618☼ (so close!)
The lady the dog the paper the boy writ hit bit knit.

English is weird.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44582 on: December 15, 2015, 12:39:17 pm »

It's like it took all the 'powders' as a category and recursively minced them as ingredients.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44583 on: December 15, 2015, 02:29:46 pm »

Finally shook myself free of the clutches of Fallout 4 and grabbed the new version.  Genned a new world, and noticed one thing immediately... holy CARP it runs slow.  Much, much slower than version .40.X.  I know there's a lot of new items that get tracked, like art forms and such, but boy howdy does this version desperately need some optimization.  I have a new computer with a Skylake processor, which upped my single thread speed dramatically... even at that, it took almost 10 minutes to run 380 years of history on a large embark.  Woof.  So long, 1050 year histories for a while I guess.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44584 on: December 15, 2015, 02:39:46 pm »

How does one reproduce the "all the flour ever" roast, or the "all the fruits/leaves", or... and so on. It SEEMS like a Planepacked, but I'm doubting the kitchen job would act exactly like a mood...

Or wait! The kitchen job sometimes, IIRC, continues even if one of the ingredients is forbidden! The dwarf simply gets another! So it may act like moods...

But they won't accept it if it's not in their burrow. Sigh. Off to experiment, I guess?
I'm not sure. But my fort seems to produce them on a semi-regular basis, and I don't have any burrows. (Well, I have one for a civilian alert, but it hasn't been enabled for a long time.)

"Meat"loaf II: Revenge of the Sugar

Weight: 126Γ. Value: 978618☼ (so close!)

I've gotten several of these. No burrows, nothing forbidden -- they just put every powder they can get their hands on repeatedly into the same meal.
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #44585 on: December 15, 2015, 03:53:31 pm »

My chief medical dwarf just wrote a book called "Victory by dissection"
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #44586 on: December 15, 2015, 04:14:10 pm »

I have a moat.

I have alligators.

Unfortunately, the alligators refuse to stay in the moat. Also, the moat freezes one month out of the year.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44587 on: December 15, 2015, 04:26:49 pm »

One of my miner's throat just exploded while he was digging the well. I don't know if it was because the wall was smoothed or if he lost his grip on the upstairs or whatever, he just randomly died in a huge pool of blood.

Bonus last thoughts:

« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 04:37:43 pm by LMeire »
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44588 on: December 15, 2015, 05:55:04 pm »

I'm building a small temple, and I need statues. I hope to get one that is in any way related to one of the NINE gods my civilization worships... and my mason keeps making statues of a human killing an elf, said elf killing another human, the first human as he fights the elf making him lose a tooth (yeah, now my hallway has a statue of a human punching an elf in the face and making his tooth fly away...) and so on.
After a LOT of statues about various humans fighting elves, and only one featuring a dwarf (killing an elf), I finally get something different.

A statue of cows.

I now have an exceptional statue of cows in the middle of my sanctuary.
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...
"Rock needs a nerf! Paper is just fine, IMO." - The Scissors.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #44589 on: December 15, 2015, 06:01:59 pm »

The sole temple I have attempted to build was a tiny 3x3 room, dedicated to no particular god. Given that the one statue I had made, especially for this purpose, was a crudely-done image of a Blind Cave Ogre laboring in the process of settling somewhere, I feel the place's intended purpose, to be a distinctly unsettling place of unnamed gods, has been fulfilled.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44590 on: December 15, 2015, 06:04:41 pm »

Migrants, yay! Ranger immediately goes to hang out in the tavern, and nearly immediately dies of alcohol poisoning. Now my fisherdwarf is upset because they were married.

Me, I was just annoyed because I had to work out where to put my cemetery.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44591 on: December 15, 2015, 06:47:26 pm »

Wait, since when do you need statues for temples? I mean they're nice to have for aesthetics, but most of my fort's temples are just moderately sized empty rooms and dwarves pray in them fine.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44592 on: December 15, 2015, 06:51:40 pm »

The sole temple I have attempted to build was a tiny 3x3 room, dedicated to no particular god. Given that the one statue I had made, especially for this purpose, was a crudely-done image of a Blind Cave Ogre laboring in the process of settling somewhere, I feel the place's intended purpose, to be a distinctly unsettling place of unnamed gods, has been fulfilled.
"To a god unknown."
Wait, since when do you need statues for temples? I mean they're nice to have for aesthetics, but most of my fort's temples are just moderately sized empty rooms and dwarves pray in them fine.
I don't know that you actually need them, but tantruming Dwarfs can topple them, leading to !!FUN!!
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44593 on: December 15, 2015, 07:14:15 pm »

I retired and unretired a fort, and now all the visitors are listed as hostile and there's sea lampreys in the river.
Something is very wrong here.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44594 on: December 15, 2015, 07:16:29 pm »

It seems depression does not lead to immediate death anymore. One of my dorf slips in and out of depression all the time. I guess I should have made library/temple/tavern earlier, instead of focusing on the grand tavern. Lots of stressed dorfs. I made citizen only places then, and now the grand tavern is mostly done. It lacks furniture, but that will be solved with time. Gold is being smelted so I can send some goblets there. My legendary (thanks to a mood) metalcrafter can do something useful now. We are a barony now as well, so I'll have to decide where to put up the barons quarters and stuff.
Pages: 1 ... 2971 2972 [2973] 2974 2975 ... 3842