Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2963 2964 [2965] 2966 2967 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6092449 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #44460 on: December 11, 2015, 05:41:43 pm »

Looks like unhappy marriage runaways are a thing in my worldgen. After the story of the goblin named dwarf, and the visit of the Queen consort to my tavern, the newest addition to my mercenary force is the baroness consort of another fortress.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

thriggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44461 on: December 11, 2015, 05:57:37 pm »

A caravan brought me a copy of a book containing the secrets of life and death.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is good because, although my fortress houses the original, the dwarves left it lying on the ground outside the library and refuse to re-shelve it, and therefore nobody is reading it. I've gotten two immigrant waves since the books got taken outside the library, and sadly none of the immigrants were joining my dwarves in blissful undeath.

Fortunately, word is spreading quickly about the new copy in my library, and it's already getting rave reviews!

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44462 on: December 11, 2015, 06:04:40 pm »

This is good because, although my fortress houses the original, the dwarves left it lying on the ground outside the library and refuse to re-shelve it, and therefore nobody is reading it. I've gotten two immigrant waves since the books got taken outside the library, and sadly none of the immigrants were joining my dwarves in blissful undeath.

Fortunately, word is spreading quickly about the new copy in my library, and it's already getting rave reviews!

wait so dose this mean that i could end up getting one of those in my fort?

i dont play adventure mode btw, i cant figure it out
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44463 on: December 11, 2015, 06:05:03 pm »

Looks like unhappy marriage runaways are a thing in my worldgen. After the story of the goblin named dwarf, and the visit of the Queen consort to my tavern, the newest addition to my mercenary force is the baroness consort of another fortress.
Lords and ladies consort make up a good percentage of my revelers at any given time. The baron consort of Lensprinces decided to leave his husband behind and join some of his aunts and uncles as a performer in the Buttery Brew at Blackwall.

Trappington

• Bay Watcher
  • Micromanager for Hire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44464 on: December 11, 2015, 06:16:02 pm »

I just recently started a new fort with the plan of relying on fishing, hunting, and gathering for all of my food needs for the entire life of my fortress.  I embarked where a swamp and mountain range meet in a tropical region to ensure that I had plenty of food sources and wood as well as some terrain.  After arranging everything, I hit embark and what did I see?  Praise Armok!!  Veins of exposed hematite and bituminous coal in the hill side!!  I have never got a steel industry up and running so quickly, and it really helps when you don't have to have half of your workforce farming or processing crops.

thriggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44465 on: December 11, 2015, 06:20:41 pm »

wait so dose this mean that i could end up getting one of those in my fort?

i dont play adventure mode btw, i cant figure it out
I think you'd need to venture into adventure mode in order to get a text containing the secrets of life and death out of a tower. Once it's been delivered to a library, though, copies should start getting produced automatically.

The only other way to get one of these books that I can think of would be to capture a sieging necromancer carrying such a text, then kill him in your library so that he drops the goods there. Claim the book and your dwarves should re-shelve it among their own books.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #44466 on: December 11, 2015, 07:08:37 pm »

I remember back when multihauling was added, people complained about how easy it was to feed a whole fortress with just a few herbalists. At the time I didn't think much of it, since I only used desert biomes.

But for my first real fortress, I decided to embark in a forest biome.

SWEET BABY ARMOK

I HAVE OVER TEN THOUSAND PLANTS

SEND HELP

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44467 on: December 11, 2015, 07:11:58 pm »

I remember back when multihauling was added, people complained about how easy it was to feed a whole fortress with just a few herbalists. At the time I didn't think much of it, since I only used desert biomes.

But for my first real fortress, I decided to embark in a forest biome.

SWEET BABY ARMOK

I HAVE OVER TEN THOUSAND PLANTS

SEND HELP

*opens the magma-pipe*

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44468 on: December 11, 2015, 07:37:55 pm »

Yeah, yeah, I'm already doing that. But my dwarves can't haul the plants as fast as they wither, though I'm now down to 6000 plants. I'm constructing a massive vertical shaft to act as a garbage dump that's closer to the fort proper, but that'll take some time.

I JUST WANTED SOME ROPE REED SEEDS SO I COULD MAKE PAPER

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44469 on: December 11, 2015, 07:38:25 pm »

One of my long term visitors, a dwarven bard, after polite discussion with local rivals became lady. Looking at legends it seems that the Lord of a human group she was part of died.

Edit: One of my Human bards is a bit disagreeable. He's beaten the holy hell out of two other humans in the tavern in the last few months and he just knocked a goblin out with one punch. He's missing a handful of teeth and he's got a mangled nose from all his scrapping.

Double Edit: Scrappy got into another brawl, got lit up pretty bad (he was very drunk and not on top of his game) but he scored a big hit and smashed the woman's hand then when she was still reeling from that he knocked out a handful of her teeth and then followed up with a knockout punch. He celebrated by drinking until he passed out in the corner. I wish I could offer him citizenship.

Triple Edit: Tragically he didn't wake up from his drunken nap, the woman he savagely beat is taking credit for killing him. He was thrown into the trash heap with the teeth he knocked out of her mouth. Truly he was a man with the soul of a dwarf.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 08:54:36 pm by Broseph Stalin »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44470 on: December 11, 2015, 08:45:11 pm »

My second vile force of darkness has arrived! Instead of some scared ranged gobs, this one was made of 40 goblins and humans! I closed the gates with the military outside, put on On Days Like These, and watched the carnage. The only casualty was poor Adil, who had his ribs broken by a lasher and you know the rest. He fought bravely until the end. Macedwarf Ezum was also wounded in the leg, and though he angrily crawled after his squadmates, he was unable to further participate in the battle. He is now being treated by our surprising number of medics.

I'm melting down their gear for the sweet, sweet metal because all I have here is gold.

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #44471 on: December 11, 2015, 09:51:06 pm »

Generated a world with a downright glorious site- volcano (inconveniently tall, but i've got a great idea for an eruption-based siege control), couple of natural towers I'm going to put most of the fort in, clay, marble, easily accessible iron and gold ores. There's no sand and few trees, but that's what trading's for. ... Too bad the humans went extinct in worldgen.

I want to play some more tonight, but I'm going to wait for tomorrow's release and regen the world to try and get all five races alive. Hopefully I get the same site (I should, since nothing about the geology's being changed that I know of.)

I'd offer the seed, but I modded in a couple extra stones so it probably wouldn't generate the same without them.
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44472 on: December 11, 2015, 11:40:19 pm »

I got attacked by this monster
Having never encountered "deadly spittle" before, i sent a novice squad at it to see what it did, they ended up killing it outright without losing a man.
Soon Afterwards, this showed up.
Another one with deadly spittle!, this one was slightly more capable, but my legendaries still eventually managed to kill it.

However, while i was being distracted by these attacks, a more insidious threat was slowly building up in my fortress, Lack of Booze!
I discovered to my horror that my stills had stopped producing months ago, and my overpopulated fort had quickly drained my reserves, leaving me with an acute shortage of booze. I promptly ordered the stills to make more booze, and i also built more stills and conscripted some peasants as brewers to speed up production. I also noticed that i had kept the doors to the outside world locked from a previous siege, and when i opened them up vast numbers of dwarves filled out to drink from my ponds(why they did not drink from the carvens is beyond me)

Unknown-Figure1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44473 on: December 12, 2015, 12:08:01 am »

The first official incident of dwarven copyright infringement occurred in Machinemurdered, when Interpersonal Conduct Understood (copy) was copied onto a pigtail quire.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 12:17:41 am by Unknown-Figure1 »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44474 on: December 12, 2015, 12:08:43 am »

A perma-crippled dwarf is using a 82000 dorfbuck golden artifact crutch like a pimp cane. Unfortunately he has no use of one foot and the crutch weighs 38 pounds. I imagine he's having a little difficulty.
Pages: 1 ... 2963 2964 [2965] 2966 2967 ... 3842