Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2961 2962 [2963] 2964 2965 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6092882 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #44430 on: December 10, 2015, 08:58:25 pm »

I've had two migrant waves at Gatizmeng so far, and all but one of the newcomers has been competent in a weapon skill. :o
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

EuphoriaToRegret

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
    • My Newgrounds Art
« Reply #44431 on: December 10, 2015, 08:59:46 pm »

One thing I've noticed though, is twice a dwarven baby has appeared by itself amidst a wave of migrants. The baby as such isn't cared for by anyone, and wanders outside in the snow and cold until it dies of starvation or dehydration.

I can't remember where I read it, but I thought I saw something about saving and loading your fortress will force the mother to rush to the child.
I personally haven't tried it (I haven't ran into a baby in a migrant wave yet), but next time you should try and see if the mother suddenly decides that her newborn baby shouldn't be wandering around a frozen glacier.

GregHayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.opengameforge.org
« Reply #44432 on: December 10, 2015, 09:17:27 pm »

My snailman vampire wrestler succeeded in wiping out the necromancers from their tower. He couldn't read, but he figured the dwarves of Lordknife might appreciate the multitude of texts he plundered, so he dropped them off in their library.

Fast forward to now, with Lordknife unretired, and I have a Bone Carver reading "Choose The Afterlife."  This is gonna be good.
Proceed.
So far there haven't been any negative consequences!

The infection is spreading nicely, as you can see in the screenshot below.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The children and the military are oblivious.

This is only really relevant for modders, but it turns out that secrets can spread this way in worldgen, too.

Potato9999

• Bay Watcher
  • Highly racist against goblins
    • View Profile
« Reply #44433 on: December 10, 2015, 10:01:08 pm »

Decided to build a moat around the entrance to my hillside fort

-The only running water source is a brook, so I channeled out a 3x1 space to put a waterwheel in

-After the moat was dug out and everyone was vacated of the area, I put in two screw pumps, a horizontal axle, and finally the waterwheel

-Water is spraying everywhere, grass in the immediate area is dead, moat is filling up slowly but surely

-Probably should have built walls or something so that more water actually went into the moat

-I have multiple fisherdwarves inside the area of the brook I channeled out (the pumps were draining enough from the brook so that my fishers could stand in the z-level below and attempt to fish)

-I'm worried by this

-Order a deconstruction of first the axle and then the waterwheel, this causes the water to stop pumping

-Now that little space the fisherdwarves were standing in is filled with 7/7 water

-To make things worse, there's also a carpenter and a miner standing in there (from an attempt to deconstruct the wheel and channel out more of the brook, respectively) along with two more fisherdwarves.

-I pause the game and check to see how well the moat has filled thus far

-4 Z-levels deep, the deepest part is completely covered in water

-My surgeon is at the bottom with bruised guts and a bruised lung

-I have no idea how he fell, my only guess is maybe he was shoved down by the water getting pumped out

-I did leave a small path to the top while having the moat dug out just in case something like this happened

-He got out

-Dwarves in the channeled out area appear to be drowning in the 7/7 water

-I'm very concerned at this point

-They all start climbing out of the hole one by one

-Why they didn't do this earlier is beyond me

-Everyone ends up safe

>I probably could have avoided all of this by building walls

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44434 on: December 10, 2015, 11:50:16 pm »

All the poets and musicians in my tavern got on my nerves, so i had them all killed. I WANTED MERCENARIES DAMMIT!

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #44435 on: December 11, 2015, 01:18:33 am »

A metalsmith has just arrived! She's competent in all metalsmithing professions and she worships the god of metals. One problem. She likes elves for their grace.
Dwarves get happy thoughts from seeing creatures they like in cages, right?  Get her a caged elf to decorate her room.

My fort is under attack by zombie camels.  Human caravan guards are keeping them busy while the one member of my militia who's gotten there with a weapon gradually takes them apart.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44436 on: December 11, 2015, 03:49:00 am »

All the poets and musicians in my tavern got on my nerves, so i had them all killed. I WANTED MERCENARIES DAMMIT!
when I've increased the number of rooms assigned to the tavern of mine to ~50ish, a lot more of petitions started to show up. About 30% of them were mercenaries.
Also, poets make a good dinner for the vampire. Additional points if that vamp is a mayor. "I want to stay in your fort to entertain your dwarves!" "Oh right, you'll entertain me personally, my dear."
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #44437 on: December 11, 2015, 08:58:15 am »

Hmmm. A petitioned human bard and a petitioned human pikeman are sharing a single bedroom in my tavern.

I wonder if they got married, and if they will have kids now.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Beaky

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #44438 on: December 11, 2015, 09:08:02 am »

Typical human behaviour   ;D

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #44439 on: December 11, 2015, 09:08:11 am »

Hmmm. A petitioned human bard and a petitioned human pikeman are sharing a single bedroom in my tavern.

[/spoiler]

Such a spacious fortress. 5x5 rooms for visitors? Generous. Mine get 3x3 if they're lucky.
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44440 on: December 11, 2015, 09:57:42 am »

My one and only exam is on Monday at noon, after which I will be free to delve into DF 42.03, so expect to hear about it then.

[/spoiler]

Such a spacious fortress. 5x5 rooms for visitors? Generous. Mine get 3x3 if they're lucky.
In my fort, they'll get 1x3 rooms like everyone else, and they better be grateful for it!
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

thriggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44441 on: December 11, 2015, 10:13:48 am »

A human bard has petitioned to join my fortress. This is nothing new, but this time the bard brought an instrument (yay) and is flashing magenta, indicating mastery of one or more skills. And she's wearing an elf bone crown.

Vampire?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44442 on: December 11, 2015, 10:31:22 am »

A human bard has petitioned to join my fortress. This is nothing new, but this time the bard brought an instrument (yay) and is flashing magenta, indicating mastery of one or more skills. And she's wearing an elf bone crown.

Vampire?
I think that non-vampire creatures will wear trophies from their enemies. She might just be a little bit of a badass.

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #44443 on: December 11, 2015, 10:43:54 am »

Vampire?
I think that non-vampire creatures will wear trophies from their enemies. She might just be a little bit of a badass.
I think there's also a bug in the current version where vampire visitors will just say like "Human Bard vampire" in the unit screen.
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #44444 on: December 11, 2015, 11:03:32 am »

Vampire?
I think there's also a bug in the current version where vampire visitors will just say like "Human Bard vampire" in the unit screen.
That was fixed in either 42.02 or 42.03, I believe.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.
Pages: 1 ... 2961 2962 [2963] 2964 2965 ... 3842