Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2954 2955 [2956] 2957 2958 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6093471 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #44325 on: December 07, 2015, 11:08:15 pm »

Sooo I understand the importance of rigorous hygiene standards in medicine but I just had a dwarf lie in bed dying of thirst and starvation because his broken toe- despite being set and stitched up had not been splashed with muddy water. Finally gave up on waiting for the spring and found a muddy puddle in the caverns to placate mr fastidious.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #44326 on: December 07, 2015, 11:10:41 pm »

I've started quarantining my remaining cats against alcoholism to protect the cat population but I don't think I have a breeding population anymore.

Going to have to buy more cats from caravans
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44327 on: December 07, 2015, 11:46:56 pm »

Could you not just lock the tavern door to pets?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Tieranus

• Bay Watcher
  • There are only so many bees in a hive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44328 on: December 08, 2015, 12:08:38 am »

About to find out if my old fort will play nice with the new version. Here's hoping.

The old fort is one set on the coast, with a nice deep moat around it, and it's made to be an aboveground Human-style town, which is now a Barony, I believe. Well-forested, and quarries for stone. Had a few bigger enemies show up, but no sieges yet.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44329 on: December 08, 2015, 12:24:20 am »

A weregecko plague is causing my fortress to break out in a rash once a month.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Rustydwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44330 on: December 08, 2015, 05:16:18 am »

Food productions are at an all time high, military is getting set up and goblins, cave orges and troglodytes are attacking me from all sides.
Also an awful lot of dwarves are becoming "Legendary ______" seemingly out of nowhere.

This is my best fort yet at just shy of three years of existance. But I can feel the !!FUN!! coming to destroy me, it is inevitable.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44331 on: December 08, 2015, 08:41:19 am »

I've just stumbled upon an amazing embark.
Warm climate, shitloads of trees, no aquifer, plenty of neighbours, and there is an absolute abundance of fruit growing everywhere.
I'll have to wait and see what the metal situation is like... but I think Gatizmeng certainly shows a lot of promise. :)

Edit: What. I just had my first migrant wave, and all six dwarves were competent in a weapon skill (with novice in general combat). :o
I guess that's the foundations of my military sorted... won't have them start training yet, though, there's too much work to be done.
That is incredibly cool, though. That includes three swordsdwarves! I like swords!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 08:57:38 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44332 on: December 08, 2015, 01:14:47 pm »

Is anybody having ‼FUN‼ with the taverns (besides dead cats)? Right now I'm having a great big interspecies love fest and it's kind of bumming me out. There are a handful of goblins, dwarves, and humans and a gorlak hanging out in the tavern and the only arguments I've noted resulted in one human becoming enraged and then calming down having done nothing. I put on my race war t-shirt and dwarves #1 foam finger and now I feel ridiculous watching them have civil disagreements.

Speakafreak22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44333 on: December 08, 2015, 01:20:20 pm »

Is anybody having ‼FUN‼ with the taverns (besides dead cats)? Right now I'm having a great big interspecies love fest and it's kind of bumming me out. There are a handful of goblins, dwarves, and humans and a gorlak hanging out in the tavern and the only arguments I've noted resulted in one human becoming enraged and then calming down having done nothing. I put on my race war t-shirt and dwarves #1 foam finger and now I feel ridiculous watching them have civil disagreements.

Taverns rock. The fights are allowing my doctor and nurses to train their skills pretty often.

Lossmar

• Bay Watcher
  • Humanity Fuck Yeah !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44334 on: December 08, 2015, 01:31:06 pm »

Found a nice embark right on the river bank.
Nice looking mountain, a shitload of soil.

Aaaaand also ~50 animals in sight and most of them are hippos, alligators and crocodilles....

I sense some FUN incoming pretty soon.

EDIT : oh and many many carps ..... motherfuckers ..
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 01:32:56 pm by Lossmar »
How to cure gaming industry in couple easy steps :
1. Stop preordering games.
2. Stop hyping games that have nothing to show except pre-rendered hype trailer.
3. Always distrust corporations.
4. Always rage at criminal DLC , microtransactions, pre-order bonuses and other semi legal practices.

Anonymax

• Bay Watcher
  • Rated "D" For Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #44335 on: December 08, 2015, 02:13:10 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
ugh, i need a competent metalsmith and i get this.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44336 on: December 08, 2015, 03:50:09 pm »

Spoke too soon. There was a disagreement between a goblin and human poet then the goblin threw a punch, another goblin jumped in with him, and then three humans jumped in to defend the woman and turned it into a great big brawl. The humans are tougher and there's more of them but the gobbos have combat experience and they aren't afraid to get a little dirty. After round one there were some bruised up humans and two goblins passed out in a pile of their own teeth. Round two we'll call a draw because the goblins gave as good as they got, they were knocked out again but one of the humans was so badly torn up I thought he might die. Round three was decisive victory for the humans, one went down from exhaustion then got his nose smashed in, his ears cauliflowered, 3/4s of his teeth kicked out and his hand stomped to pulp. The other got a chunk clawed out of her face and before she passed out declared that the nearby poetry recital was arousing her. Vomit, blood and teeth litter the ground and the performers never stopped their recitals. Taverns rule.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44337 on: December 08, 2015, 03:54:42 pm »

I wish their were elf butcher immigrants and crafters, who due to their ethics should have no problem with butchering and making goods out of the bones and skin of sentients.  Then you could set up a huge tavern and hope for mangling and death from bar fights.

Nullsrc

• Bay Watcher
  • A Euclidean Plane Crash
    • View Profile
« Reply #44338 on: December 08, 2015, 03:58:14 pm »

I wish their were elf butcher immigrants and crafters, who due to their ethics should have no problem with butchering and making goods out of the bones and skin of sentients.  Then you could set up a huge tavern and hope for mangling and death from bar fights.
In addition, we could haul back the corpses of the fallen in battle and feast upon them for Armok!

I had some farmers fall into the volcano, after I forgot that bridges do not count as supports for floors, and tried to build a floor off of a bridge. It seems that building structures suspended over lava is best left to, at minimum, amateurs. However, it matters not, as we shall be able to survive with only our five valiant men. I hope...

Armok is pleased with our sacrifice!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44339 on: December 08, 2015, 04:09:52 pm »

Spoke too soon. There was a disagreement between a goblin and human poet then the goblin threw a punch, another goblin jumped in with him, and then three humans jumped in to defend the woman and turned it into a great big brawl. The humans are tougher and there's more of them but the gobbos have combat experience and they aren't afraid to get a little dirty. After round one there were some bruised up humans and two goblins passed out in a pile of their own teeth. Round two we'll call a draw because the goblins gave as good as they got, they were knocked out again but one of the humans was so badly torn up I thought he might die. Round three was decisive victory for the humans, one went down from exhaustion then got his nose smashed in, his ears cauliflowered, 3/4s of his teeth kicked out and his hand stomped to pulp. The other got a chunk clawed out of her face and before she passed out declared that the nearby poetry recital was arousing her. Vomit, blood and teeth litter the ground and the performers never stopped their recitals. Taverns rule.
It's... it's beautiful. :')

I can't wait to get my own tavern up and running once I get home from work this evening.
Was taking an annoyingly long time last night because I went with an above-ground structure and decided to do things all fancy-like with a multi-z-level ramp structure to simulate a more realistic-looking staircase... that on top of the usual above-ground building woes make it quite a chore to build. I could probably disable construction on my miners, carve out that appropriately-shaped hill over to the west and have a (much shittier but still) serviceable tavern ready before the main one, ha.
Maybe I should do that. Could always convert it to a barracks later.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 2954 2955 [2956] 2957 2958 ... 3842