Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2931 2932 [2933] 2934 2935 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120884 times)

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #43980 on: November 24, 2015, 04:13:42 pm »

I found my hammerer's weapon made by a dwarven child

GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43981 on: November 24, 2015, 04:32:36 pm »

Slidewheel was founded in the spring of 1050.  7 dwarves were on their way from the capital to a little-known outpost when, in the midst of a marshy field near the sea, they discovered a hill of stone.  Bones were strewn around the entrance, and items placed far above the reach of any dwarf (or man, for that matter) demonstrated clearly that a giant, ettin, cyclops or some other enormous beast dwelled in the cave which was visible leading into the depths.

The miners recognized clear signs of mineral wealth all around.  Iron-bearing pebbles were found, indicating the presence of hematite below, and even some scattered traces of gold and nickel.  The current inhabitant would have to be... dealt with, but it was quickly determined that it would be a crime to waste such an opportunity.  The miners dug a level down and struck bauxite.  With that red stone, the masons were able to fashion some hatch covers and blocks.  The entrance to their bolthole was covered, and Operation Cage The Beast was begun.  An exploratory tunnel to the north brought them almost to the edge of the caves.  A narrow stair was carved, leading down into the depths.  A few levels down, below the omnipresent aquifer which blocked digging outside the rocky cave area, the wall of the cave was pierced.  Quickly, a floor was built over the ramp leading down.  The Cyclops (for so it was... later research established that this very rocky promontory had been the lair of Cor Glittersculptures the Vigor of Steel for over 900 years.  Yes, in their ignorance, the initial dwarves had stumbled upon the dreaded lair of the beast, renowned in dwarven legends as Aurahole the Mines of Puke.)

Now that the beast was temporarily at bay, work began on the actual fort.  The rocky outcropping was soon home to several comfortable rooms.  Iron was being mined below.  The first level of caverns had been found, and the cyclops' path was blocked from below as well.  Now a proper fort could be begun on the shores of the Deep Sea.  Slidewheel was prospering.  But these were early days, and the troubles had only just begun...
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 04:37:03 pm by Iamblichos »
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43982 on: November 24, 2015, 06:15:29 pm »

Started my first fort in over a year, another major river canyon. Reached the second summer without much problem. most industry is up and running save for metal, as I've yet to get to any real depth. Focused on getting my canyon bridges built; the first, connecting the two sides of the canyon, and the second, delving into the shale at the river's surface, are completed. The third and longest, that which will push into the corner where the waterfall drops, is halfway finished. Lost one dwarf to the river when I got careless and ordered a floor tile supported only by a grate. Considering adding a drowning chamber to the hall between the second and third bridges, but that's a project for later, once my dwarves are out of the dirt and into proper stone halls.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43983 on: November 24, 2015, 08:24:41 pm »

Debating making a new world on the r16 LNP, because for some reason r18 keeps crashing on me and it's making life really sodding hard when I lose so much work constantly. I gave up on my last world which DF apparently can't work out what mode it's running, so yeah. I am sad.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Eldes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43984 on: November 25, 2015, 08:57:00 pm »

My fort is less than a year old, embarked next to a haunted mountain. I now have lost a caravan and 2 migrant waves to an ex-pet bunny eerie mist thrall. Seriously, this thing is evil incarnate.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #43985 on: November 25, 2015, 09:22:10 pm »

You need some help from Antioch.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43986 on: November 25, 2015, 09:34:08 pm »

I gave up on my last world which DF apparently can't work out what mode it's running, so yeah.
How's that?
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Eldes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43987 on: November 25, 2015, 09:39:02 pm »

Update: I just saw an entire Dwarven caravan turn into thralls in less than 2 frames, just from the other thralls in the area.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43988 on: November 26, 2015, 06:54:26 am »

I gave up on my last world which DF apparently can't work out what mode it's running, so yeah.
How's that?
Apparently it's running "Unknown Mode" rather than Dwarf Fort Mode on the load screen. It's quite strange.

Hm. I have captured a female and male Giant Olm. Thanks to ModestMod these things can breed. The question I have is how dangerous this will be, because the male has killed one of my miners, which I believe means he's forever hostile even if I tame him...hm hm hm.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43989 on: November 26, 2015, 02:54:43 pm »

I abandoned Gorgethorn a long while back because of the framerate, and I haven't bothered playing DF since because I realized if I didn't change my ways, all my fortresses would suffer the same fate as Gorgethorn, and I would never get to make anything cool before the framerate made the fort unplayable. Instead, I've thought deeply about a number of things.

I have realized that the greatest flaw in my playstyle is that the Great Obsidian Block takes forever to create: one of the reasons it takes forever is because I tell myself that I need to mine out every layer between the first all-stone layer and the first cavern so that they may be filled with obsidian. But when I think about, all I need is 3 layers of obsidian: 1 for the nobles, 1 for the commoners to sleep in and 1 for the commoners to eat in. Heck, I might even fit the dining room in  the same floor as the nobles and only need 2 levels of pure obsidian. I waste my time not only strip-mining, but in setting up "temporary" accommodations for everyone that end up being permanent. The other reason that I have to build a magma pumpstack hundreds of Z-levels high. There's also the issue that my habit of mining out everything makes pathing cut down my FPS.

I resolved to start playing again once exams are done, and when I do, I will make my first volcano embark. Even if I have to rely on the first cavern layer for water, I will save time on pumpstacks. I will cast only 2 layers of pure obsidian (well, 3, so I can have obsidian floors) and set up rooms for everyone as quickly as possible. In fact, I will try to set up every industry and storage space as quickly as I can, and I will learn to use traffic designations for the sake of my framerate. Additionally, I will leave INVADERS toggled to YES, forcing me to set up caravan-friendly defenses quickly. If I do all that, perhaps then I can finally build a proper fort, and not just works-in-progresses that I never finish.

I also thought about what brought my framerate so low in Gorgethorn. Using graphics for the first time and playing in a larger world than usual probably did it, so I guess I'll go back to ASCII and smaller worlds. The number of tame animals must have reduced FPS in all my fortresses, though; perhaps the caverns do not need so many extra species after all. I will keep my belzugs for their valuable shells and milk, but I'll get rid of my other custom species, as well as the cavern species I always hated. I also hate fliers, so I'll get rid of every last one of them except for rocs, and I'll give dragons and cave dragons flight just to keep things interesting.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43990 on: November 26, 2015, 05:11:03 pm »

Cathelms has 111 exploded eagles in the dead units list.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Since I'm over 40 units now I got to see the results of my trying to piss off the elves for most of the last 17 years.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

WELCOME TO THE ZOOMBIE, BAHAHAHAHAHA!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43991 on: November 26, 2015, 05:25:58 pm »

Spoiler: Way large (click to show/hide)

Just about the dumbest thing i've invented so far: an entirely dwarf-operated full adder, four-bit. Everything's calculated by pulling levers. Inputs open doors and raise bridges to grant/block access to further levers, which run the following levels of logic. It's insanely oversized: on the lowest logical level, you just need a bunch of half-adders, each consisting of one XOR and one AND gate:

###     ####
#ň#     #ň.#
#┼#     #BB#
#┼#     #┼┼#

AND     XOR

Yep, nothing trickier than fluid logic. Just instead of water, we use dwarfs and instead of pressure plates, levers with pending "pull lever" jobs. To get the full adder functionality on the higher bits, you'll need another AND - XOR pair to combine the half-adder's XOR output with the carry input. The XOR of this level is the sum output, the AND is the "propagated carry". (There's also the "generated" carry from the half-adder's own AND.)

This is a ripple-carry adder, thus you must make sure that a bit's carry-out is properly calculated before you can calculate the next bit. I did this by putting extra doors between dwarfs and the higher-bit logic gates, and linking those doors to levers operated by both the "propagated-carry" output and its inverse (i.e. a NAND) - if the propagation has been calculated, no matter whether the result is true or false, the next bit can be operated on.

I tried to make the lower-bit calculations differently, based on more "nuclear" functions - no full XOR, just AND/OR/NAND/NOR, but that comes with so many temporal dependencies that it got completely silly: XOR can be defined as "(A NOR B) NAND (A AND B)", but before calculating the "NAND" of this expression, you must make sure that both previous terms have been properly calculated. The whole concept confused me horribly.

Anyway, the whole thing works as is plainly visible in the picture: 7+11=18. QED.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43992 on: November 26, 2015, 05:33:40 pm »

1. I had to count on my fingers in binary to figure out what was what, I know, shameful.

2. THERE ARE THINGS THAT CONFUSE YOU HORRIBLY? HOLY SHITBATS!

When we look into the abyss of dorfputing, you are the thing that looks back, Larix.

Pseudo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43993 on: November 26, 2015, 09:59:11 pm »

Larix, a thought:

You should be able to set it up to be fully automatic (i.e. no manual resetting of levers) by using asynchronous (i.e. dual-rail) logic and lever pulls set to repeat on every lever (plus one-way doors out of every lever, if you don't want dwarves to tantrum...).

(Dual-rail logic: instead of one signal, with the absence of signal being its opposite, you have an explicit signal for 1 and an explicit signal for 0. Or in this case, separate levers for 1 and 0, with a train of lever pulls for the signal, and no train for no signal.)

Really slow reset time though, due to the only real reset being a chain of "dwarf got hungry / thirsty / decided to take a break".
The lady the dog the paper the boy writ hit bit knit.

English is weird.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43994 on: November 26, 2015, 11:42:14 pm »

To try and get out of my Fallout 4 binge, I genned a world with an extremely hobbled (though not quite dead) civ. Settled in a good area, but also in range of tower. As a result, my love of maces once more will have purpose, as macedwarves bludgeon zombies into paste.

Who knows, with few/no major sites, an attempt to start a war might even be successful.
Pages: 1 ... 2931 2932 [2933] 2934 2935 ... 3842