Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2927 2928 [2929] 2930 2931 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108222 times)

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #43920 on: November 17, 2015, 11:55:59 pm »

I'm relearning how to setup the military.
I prefer having 3 squads in rotation:
One squad on a defense point - In my current fort, that's an battlements above the entrance that can see in all directions.
One squad training
One squad squad (pick one on fort size) on break or also on defense.

And bonus!  I've just recently figured out what I was doing wrong, I now have dwarves not only training, but rotating at 4 month intervals to new tasks.

Also:
Bin Zefonnar, Blacksmith cancels eat: Taken by mood.

YES!  Time for a legendary crafter to crank out weapons and armor!

Bin Zefonnar, Blacksmith has been possessed!

NO!

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43921 on: November 18, 2015, 05:03:42 am »

So I got bored with my current world and made a new one because...DF. And I found a nice little place where two biomes meet, one of my favourites (tropical swamp/marsh) and one I was interested in trying (shrubland). It was also where a major river was! I thought I would try it, I'd kind of conquered little 4-5 tile wide river/streams, maybe this one would be deeper to reflect being a major river. 3x3 embark, landed annnnnnd I was not prepared.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

for exactly how BIG this thing was

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This may take a few bridges and floors.

Too bad I can't build like, wall supports like I was building a real bridge. Also it's currently home to two giant sponges and a sponge man. One day I'm doing to kill those buggers for existing. One day.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #43922 on: November 18, 2015, 05:48:38 am »

I actually am usually glad to get a werebeast attack. I have yet to suffer overly severe casualties from one, but having a few infected dorfs around to conscript and train is nice. Fort champions that regenerate every month are quite useful.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #43923 on: November 18, 2015, 01:07:02 pm »

I extended the second or third underground (soil) level my fort out under a freshwater lake, ignoring the drippy ceiling warnings. Later on, during renovations, I constructed an interior (stone) wall to divide off a section of a larger room. Then I changed my mind and removed it.

... and that's how I learned that removing a constructed wall also removes the ceiling above it.
Never pet a burning dog.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #43924 on: November 18, 2015, 01:27:22 pm »

Wake up, stupid guards! You'll let the beasts in if you aren't vigilant!

------------

My cook has developed a new cooking technique. It used to be "stick some plump helmets in some other plump helmets and call it a biscuit," but after I yelled at her, she started using other ingredients. Mostly turnips. Now her biscuits are things like

☼turnip plant biscuits☼[11]   
This is a stack of 11 finely-prepared turnip plant biscuits.  The ingredients are superiorly minced quarry bush leaf and masterfully minced turnip plant.

and

≡turnip plant biscuits≡[2]ð   
This is a stack of 2 superiorly prepared turnip plant biscuits.  The ingredients are superiorly minced fisher berry and exceptionally minced turnip plant. 

------------

Perhaps the most dwarven name ever: Vucar Eturistrath, or "Boulderjewels."

-----------

My awesome militia commander, Melbil, worked so hard sparring she collapsed. As she lay there covered in sweat, she said this:

"I look splendid today."

Made a pretty big impact on the recruits, I can tell you that. The expert hammerdwarf working so hard at her art. It was so inspiring, I went and traded superbly with our brethren. Hopefully she'll like the weaponry and armor I bought.

-----------

City of Kilrudzustash, Limestone 28th, 128:

an official statement by James Amidalath, bookkeeper and manager

As autumn sets in, Bronzeancient is thriving. Animal taming and cage trap loading continues, making the caverns a safer place to gather shrubs, log mushrooms, fish, and collect cave spider webs. The animals will also provide us with more meat, making us less dependent on the caravans for food.

The farms are running at full capacity, and the farmers' workshops are bustling with activity.  Preparation for the First Official Annual Clothesmaking Winter Festival continues.  The kitchen is never empty, but has pots and pans full of bubbling plump helmet soup and cave wheat flour broths, while meats roast in the ovens beneath. All these are fed by the charcoal made by burning the plentiful wood.

The labor changes I made are working quite well.  I would like to thank Tun for his helpful advice.  There is always a dwarf available to burn wood or milk our creatures.

The miners have dug out a subterranean pasture area, which may also double as a place for shrubs to grow.  We are trying it out by pasturing a breeding pair of yaks, goats, and rabbits in the first pasture.

The trading went very well, and we have sold our piles of clothing and barrels of biscuits. This is good. We now have even more barrels of food (the cook requested it). Not so good. But at least we have more weapons, armor, crafts, gems, metal, and raw material for the crafters (leather, wood, and cloth mostly).

The militia gathered aboveground as if preparing for battle, and showed the traders our great might. All the marksdwarves assigned to the tower stood on the battlements, and the army stood below them in the Windy Passage.  The traders were amazed when we told them that these were only the militiadwarves assigned to the tower, and that many more militiadwarves patrolled and trained deep below in the caverns.  The militia quite liked being admired.  I suspect this will become an annual, if not triannual, activity.  (I'm sure there are several dwarves who would like to inspire awe and perhaps even terror in the elves' hearts, and the humans tend to respect power more than anything else.  The non-dwarf traders will give a good profit, I suspect.  And every trader will feel safe behind our walls, secure in the knowledge that any attacker would have to fight through these dwarfs, and knock down several bridges, before a hair on their head would come to harm.)

--------

"GIANT TOAD! GIANT TOAD IN THA CAVERNS! TO ARMS, BRETHREN! TO ARMS! HE'S CHASING MENG THE WEAVER!"

The dwarves rush out, trying to find the toad. Will Meng live? Is he fast enough to double around? (He's being chased away from the fortress.) Or will he get lost in the caverns and die to some terrifying creature in the dark?  Tune in next time -

"what're ye saying? i don't have me instrument so i can't help ye tune!"

Never mind.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 04:01:09 pm by jwoodward48df »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Pseudo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43925 on: November 18, 2015, 03:23:08 pm »

... and that's how I learned that removing a constructed wall also removes the ceiling above it.

Huh. That could be useful...
The lady the dog the paper the boy writ hit bit knit.

English is weird.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #43926 on: November 18, 2015, 04:28:04 pm »

Huh. That could be useful...

...or incredibly horrible. How would you even deconstruct the wall though?  If you really needed to?  I'd use dfhack's "tiletypes" command.
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Pseudo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43927 on: November 18, 2015, 04:48:16 pm »

d->n, of course.

English is weird.

Day.one

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Tree demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #43928 on: November 18, 2015, 04:53:28 pm »

Game is breaking my heart tonight. following a ruckus with cavern crundles I check wounds in the hospital:
Bembul Kubukemal is somewhat fearful in the face of imminent danger, he scratches his nose when he's trying to remember something. His nose is mangled beyond recognition.
Catten Tekkudstul is often sad and dejected, she cracks her knuckles when she's bored. Her left hand is mangled beyond recognition. :'(
Aiming to learn something new with every fortress.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #43929 on: November 18, 2015, 04:54:03 pm »

I actually am usually glad to get a werebeast attack. I have yet to suffer overly severe casualties from one, but having a few infected dorfs around to conscript and train is nice. Fort champions that regenerate every month are quite useful.
Yeah, but werebeast champions are also an extreme liability if you don't manage them well.
In other words, absolutely dwarfy and very Fun.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #43930 on: November 18, 2015, 06:19:30 pm »

d->n, of course.

I mean without flooding, of course.  I've been playing for several months, I know how to deconstruct a wall.

Wait, are there people who don't know how to deconstruct a wall?

I'm not even going to try to remember my learning experience. I think I abandoned whenever I accidentally dug out the wrong wall.  Heh.
Sigtext!

Pseudo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43931 on: November 18, 2015, 10:02:14 pm »

See the facepalm thread...

And this might work:

Code: [Select]
.X.
X.X
XOX
.%.
.%.

Kindly ignore the non-matching characters. But O is the block you want to deconstruct, Xs are other walls (or raised bridges or magma-safe doors), and % is a pump pumping magma into the block you want to deconstruct. (.s are whatever)

Deconstruct the wall (with a dwarf you don't mind losing), and what should happen is that both that space and the space north of it will instantly fill with water (but it won't flood the rest of the fort, due to how DF pressure works), then the pump will kick in and obsidianize the square and plug the hole in the ceiling. You can then dig it out as normal.

Although I am not certain it'll actually plug the hole in the ceiling, now that I think of it.

You need to have at least one other space that fills for the dwarf to stand in (hence the gap north of the O), as dwarves need to stand in a cardinal direction from the wall they are deconstructing. You can have more, but then you'll end up with more water to clean up afterwards, as well as a distinct possibility that the dwarf will drown (assuming they aren't either melted or encased in obsidian...).

Oh: and make sure the input of the magma pump isn't exposed to the runoff water.

Overcomplicated and involves a distinct possibility of !!fun!!. Properly dwarven, I think.

English is weird.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #43932 on: November 18, 2015, 11:15:44 pm »

Yeah, but werebeast champions are also an extreme liability if you don't manage them well.
In other words, absolutely dwarfy and very Fun.

Very true.  ;D
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43933 on: November 19, 2015, 06:20:45 am »

I cheated a werebeast attack by exterminating it. Mostly because this was the third repeat attack because ever since I updated the LNP, DF has been crashing like wooooooooa. I'm getting very, very tired of it. Might have to port this save back to the old version...trying to work out if it's DF being DF or if it's SoundSense, since it seems to be increasing in crash numbers when SS is running.

EDIT: Ahah, found the issue with this crash at any rate. For some reason the custom brew from fruit option from ModestMod, when it fails/is cancelled/etc, is crashing my game. Hrm, how to fix this...I might have to just retire and reclaim...
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 06:40:32 am by FortunaDraken »
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #43934 on: November 19, 2015, 11:44:55 am »

Zulban ran into my room. "Help!" she whispered. "What is it?" I asked worriedly. "The outpost liaison wants me to make a decision for baron!" "What's the problem with that?" I asked. "Now!" she replied. "He won't give me time to decide! It's an important decision and I never thought about it before!"

"Calm down," I said, "I have a solution. Just say you are flattered by the honor, but for now we have to carefully consider our situation and might want to distance ourselves from the mountainhome. Not everyone would want a direct connection with the king."

"Are you serious?" she said. "You don't want a baron?"

"Of course I do, but we can become a barony next year. Patience is a dwarfy thing. Let's just review dwarves over the next year, and continue to grow, so we will be reconsidered when the time comes."

"Thanks!" Zulban ran back to her office.

-----------

Meanwhile, in the craftsdwarf's shop, Tirist, one of the founding seven, works furiously at a chunk of microcline. Rough carnelians, ash logs, and giant rat bone she brought into the shop, and I cannot wait to see what wondrous craft she produces. She is truly an adept stoneworker.

However, she is also a metalcrafter. She was working on Zulban's coin mandate when the mood struck, so the mandate was never filled. I am worried that Zulban may - what's that? A diagnoser has been sentenced to roughly a season in prison? But we don't have a prison! At least it wasn't Tirist...

--------

Aaand never mind the game crashed let's just find a good baron and make those coins.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 11:47:09 am by jwoodward48df »
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 2927 2928 [2929] 2930 2931 ... 3842