Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2925 2926 [2927] 2928 2929 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6107981 times)

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #43890 on: November 14, 2015, 06:44:20 pm »

I've had 2 female giant chinchillas with one male in a pasture for years, and the number of giant chinchillas produced? ZERO! I just caught giant chinchillas for the first time in years: 4 males, 5 females. I killed the original male for being such a lousy stud and dumped the new giant chinchillas into the pasture.

Every mammal seems to be giving birth except for the cave seals, and baby elk birds, Jabberers and cave crocodiles are on the way. I decided to train every animal I had captured but hadn't found a breeding partner for. Here's what my training screen looks like now:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
« Reply #43891 on: November 14, 2015, 09:36:19 pm »

My manager was stricken by melancholy after failing to craft something (i needed shells). Meanwhile, a wererat appeared and killed somedwarf who had no importance. The wererat later turning into a goblin and was lynched. I'm enlarging my cemetery right now.

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43892 on: November 14, 2015, 10:09:57 pm »

Getting back to the game, trying to break the siege my fort is under...  lost half my miliatary to a squad of about 5 goblins, mostly from dwarves passing out while using crossbows to hammering helmeted goblins, instead of.. I dunno, shooting them?  Anyway, turning out some swords and hammers special for sending my new military dwarves out to kill the trio of goblins at the edge of the map.

While doing that, I had a dwarf turn out another artifact, while under a fey mood:

Eseroslan, Clitterwound, a native gold coffin.... It is encircled with bands of cushion native gold cabochons.

I'm forced at this point to ask, seeing as it's a coffin from a fey mood...
.. Do fey moods got anything to do with the elves?

Also, finally found how to view the full name of the artifact gauntlet my dwarves turned out in the first year... 
Idthikthog Idashnin, Rockdrenches the Moist Toe, an intricate platinum right gauntlet.
A gauntlet named for anatomy found on the foot.

This bodes ill.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43893 on: November 14, 2015, 11:07:22 pm »

Getting back to the game, trying to break the siege my fort is under...  lost half my miliatary to a squad of about 5 goblins, mostly from dwarves passing out while using crossbows to hammering helmeted goblins, instead of.. I dunno, shooting them?  Anyway, turning out some swords and hammers special for sending my new military dwarves out to kill the trio of goblins at the edge of the map.

While doing that, I had a dwarf turn out another artifact, while under a fey mood:

Eseroslan, Clitterwound, a native gold coffin.... It is encircled with bands of cushion native gold cabochons.

I'm forced at this point to ask, seeing as it's a coffin from a fey mood...
.. Do fey moods got anything to do with the elves?

Also, finally found how to view the full name of the artifact gauntlet my dwarves turned out in the first year... 
Idthikthog Idashnin, Rockdrenches the Moist Toe, an intricate platinum right gauntlet.
A gauntlet named for anatomy found on the foot.

This bodes ill.

Fey moods don't really have anything to do with elves.They're entirely independent of each other. "Fey", in this case, probably means some spirit that isn't actually hostile.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43894 on: November 14, 2015, 11:42:56 pm »

So.......many.......animal babies......ugh. My elk birds starved to death on their nest boxes, but I caught some more.....all's well that ends well, right?
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43895 on: November 14, 2015, 11:45:32 pm »

So, my siege-craft for the day.

Finally ready to attack those goblins...
Where'd they go?
Dangit.

Adjust burrows, stand down from alert, unforbid everything on the surface.

Unpause.

The enemy have come and are laying siege to the fortress.

I'm never going to learn the value of anything, am I?
//Torrenal

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43896 on: November 14, 2015, 11:57:20 pm »

You're learning the value of traps, I think.

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43897 on: November 15, 2015, 12:52:45 am »

Oh, I know the value of traps.  Just need to get some of the right type together.  Don't need large serrated disks scattering zombified bits everywhere for individual killing, and the prior siege tripped most of my stone traps, without inflicting a single injury.

What I still need to do is find a proper way to dispose of corpses.  I'm thinking a pit somewhere on the surface -- do undead climb?

The new siege, by the way, lasted about 3 seconds.

* Unset burrows
*  unforbid everything (again).
* Re-designate temporary walls for dismantlement
* etc
* etc
* etc

* Send my still-green patrol over to inspect the arival point for any lingering ambushes or such.

Fey moods don't really have anything to do with elves.They're entirely independent of each other. "Fey", in this case, probably means some spirit that isn't actually hostile.
So in summary, I can't find moody dwarves to be sufficient cause to start a war with my elvish neighbors? 

Pitty.

//Torrenal

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43898 on: November 15, 2015, 01:02:50 am »

Year 60.  Population 192.  Our latest citizen is Ral Gladnessrings, the 43rd child of Kol Stasisrope and Stakud Peacetongs.

We've activated our sixth melee squad and our second marksdwarf squad.  A couple more forgotten beasts have visited, bringing the kill list up to 28, and of course the goblins keep insisting on ensuring that my military dwarves don't care about anything anymore.

The fort has 4200 bars of soap.  I hadn't actually intended on cooking up this much soap, but, well, why not?  We still have thousands more logs and not a lot of use for them other than soapmaking.  There are 2000 more units of giant bat tallow on hand, and almost 3000 units of rutherer tallow, plus assorted lumps from lesser animals for a grand total of 8150 tallow.  My only regret: that block bins don't store more bars of soap.  It boggles me that a container labeled a "bin" holds only 10 bars of soap.  In my world, that's a single economy pack, weighing 1 kg total.

I'm considering what I might build out of all this soap.  Whatever it is, it needs to be epic.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43899 on: November 15, 2015, 03:46:07 am »

So.......many.......animal babies......ugh. My elk birds starved to death on their nest boxes, but I caught some more.....all's well that ends well, right?
When your birds lay their eggs, forbid the eggs or whatever you do, then repasture the birds so your dwarves drag them off the boxes (I like using a smaller pasture that's over the original one but not the nest boxes). The eggs will still hatch so long as they're fertile, and the birds don't starve to death. You can safely repasture back to the boxes once they've been separated from the eggs, they'll forget they should be sitting on them.

I just had an engraver go into a fey mood, claimed a craftdwarf shop. "Yay, time for another bone thing" I thought. Nope, first thing he grabbed was hematite! So here I am hoping that I might get a legendary stonecrafter (time to churn out ALL THE MUGS), and in the end he makes a hematite toy axe with some wood decorations.

And he's...now...a legendary engraver? Ubuh?

Please note he was a peasant beforehand so he had no way to get to legendary so fast, and Dwarf Therapist agrees that the artifact made him a legendary engraver. I am puzzled.

EDIT:
Year 60.  Population 192.  Our latest citizen is Ral Gladnessrings, the 43rd child of Kol Stasisrope and Stakud Peacetongs.

We've activated our sixth melee squad and our second marksdwarf squad.  A couple more forgotten beasts have visited, bringing the kill list up to 28, and of course the goblins keep insisting on ensuring that my military dwarves don't care about anything anymore.

The fort has 4200 bars of soap.  I hadn't actually intended on cooking up this much soap, but, well, why not?  We still have thousands more logs and not a lot of use for them other than soapmaking.  There are 2000 more units of giant bat tallow on hand, and almost 3000 units of rutherer tallow, plus assorted lumps from lesser animals for a grand total of 8150 tallow.  My only regret: that block bins don't store more bars of soap.  It boggles me that a container labeled a "bin" holds only 10 bars of soap.  In my world, that's a single economy pack, weighing 1 kg total.

I'm considering what I might build out of all this soap.  Whatever it is, it needs to be epic.
Every dwarf clearly needs their own bathtub made of soap. That they have to cross to get to their beds.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 03:48:12 am by FortunaDraken »
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43900 on: November 15, 2015, 07:53:07 am »

So in summary, I can't find moody dwarves to be sufficient cause to start a war with my elvish neighbors? 

Pitty.

//Torrenal

Why not? ;)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #43901 on: November 15, 2015, 10:52:04 am »

I sent my dwarves on an extended building operation outside, after they'd spent 6+ years holed up inside a dug-out cave.

Puke.  Puke everywhere.

There's puke on top of my greenhouse.  Puke rolling down the mountain.  Puke on my skybridge.  Puke on the road.  Puke around the road.  I can tell what path my dwarves have taken 'cause there's a trail of puke behind them.  They've been puking for two years are are showing no sign of improvement.  Everything they build, they use the puke as cement, I don't fucking know.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43902 on: November 15, 2015, 11:03:06 am »

When babies first immigrated, they began vomiting as well. Their mothers, who were not cave-adapted, dropped them on the ground upon arrival, only picking them back up after they crawled to the wagon.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Kneenibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43903 on: November 15, 2015, 12:29:46 pm »

I never realized how accurately named "Terrifying" biomes are.

Having finally found an embark with blade weed, hide root, and sliver barbs growing -- something I've desired for a while -- I also found that the place possessed that rumoured power of raising the dead.  I learned this when the hair of a butchered animal started slithering around the little sealed-off cave I secured right away.  Meanwhile, a pack of dromedary camel corpses and a few giant gila monster corpses roamed the surface.

I dispatched the hair and learned to be more careful about butchering, and then set about digging downwards in search of cavern resources and magma.  I had no idea that the evil powers extended that far underground.  When I pierced the first cavern layer, dozens -- dozens! -- of reanimated elk birds, trolls, and cave crocodiles thronged like homing missiles from all directions and swept up the stairs into my small fort like a whirlwind.

I totally savescummed but I have no idea how to deal with it.  Cage traps perhaps, then magma?  The surface, with its own zombies and storms of elf blood, is barely more hospitable, and I haven't dared risk an expedition for wood -- I still have only the three beds I made out of my wagon.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43904 on: November 15, 2015, 12:54:38 pm »

When babies first immigrated, they began vomiting as well. Their mothers, who were not cave-adapted, dropped them on the ground upon arrival, only picking them back up after they crawled to the wagon.
Someone please draw this. Please, I beg ya... I beg ya.
Pages: 1 ... 2925 2926 [2927] 2928 2929 ... 3842