Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2906 2907 [2908] 2909 2910 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120338 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #43605 on: October 29, 2015, 04:13:20 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
ELVEN AMBUSH RIGHT NEXT TO MY BARRACKS

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
THEY HAVE ELEPHANTS

Sounds like fun. Post updates on the carnage.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #43606 on: October 29, 2015, 04:16:39 pm »

THEY HAVE ELEPHANTS
Damn, son. You better make something good out of this. This is the kind of siege people pray to Armok for.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43607 on: October 29, 2015, 06:27:02 pm »

Lmao that's kind of sad that they died so fast. Not the elves, the animals. The elephants should have at least beat up some people.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43608 on: October 29, 2015, 08:35:21 pm »

THEY HAVE ELEPHANTS
Damn, son. You better make something good out of this. This is the kind of siege people pray to Armok for.

Seconded. Poor Trampldlantern has languished with nary an elf in sight.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43609 on: October 29, 2015, 09:51:39 pm »

...this is the most pathetic Forgotten Beast. It has a shell! But it's made of snow and it's apparently emaciated. Time to go slap it a bit and watch it explode.

EDIT: Well it's a blob too. This may require actual military rather than letting whoever's nearby hit it.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 09:53:20 pm by FortunaDraken »
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43610 on: October 29, 2015, 10:15:37 pm »

...this is the most pathetic Forgotten Beast. It has a shell! But it's made of snow and it's apparently emaciated. Time to go slap it a bit and watch it explode.

EDIT: Well it's a blob too. This may require actual military rather than letting whoever's nearby hit it.

A few whacks with anything will probably still do it regardless, though a sword or axe would probably finish it faster.
-
Construction is going apace in random fort #245-b: Bravehounds. Sadly, lacks hounds.

Housing for various early craftsmen and a place to eat and part built. First barley, rye (for beer and flour,) and hemp (more flour, cloth, and oil,) harvests have come in a month or two back. Traded mechanisms and other misc. items for a motley mix of materials which were promptly processed into more trade goods to buy drink and cloth/leather.

Militia stands a two fighting women strong: Brace, a swordswoman packing a bronze greatsword, and Autumn, who wields a bronze war axe and buckler. Both ar mostly armored in bronze, possessing mail, gauntlets, helms, and boots. FOr mobility's sack both have suits of leather armor, hopefully making any injuries they suffer non-life threatening at least; I had to cut armor to save on speed somewhere afterall, and the torso is usually the least likely to suffer catastrophic damage in my experience.

Mines accidentally hit the caverns. Humies have yet to explore for fear of what lurks below and their lack of militiamen to do the exploring, though some yearn to exploit the riches in a region unvisited by men or dwarves ever - the only inhabitants of the frigid southwest being goblins and their slaves.

Goblin intrusions expected but unlikely, in spite of being the only available target for several larger settlements, there may be an elf and human communities close enough to attack instead. Regardless, Brace needs more bodies to fill out her unit.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43611 on: October 29, 2015, 10:21:45 pm »

Lmao that's kind of sad that they died so fast. Not the elves, the animals. The elephants should have at least beat up some people.
If I were in your position, I'd be lamenting the fact that I didn't get any breeding pairs of elephants out of this whole thing.

Anyhow, a long while back my militia commander's elder daughter joined his squad and neither of them have had any sort of positive thoughts because of it. She recently took a nasty fall that mangled her left arm and shoulder beyond all recognition (strangely, this only registers as a "minor injury" in her thoughts) and the commander has had no negative thoughts as a consequence of his daughter's fall. Dwarfs are weird. I've decided to release the girl from military service and enable the engraving labor on her so that she may one day fulfill her dream of creating a great work of art. And to replace her, I've drafted in a peasant......who is coincidentally the commander's other daughter.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43612 on: October 29, 2015, 10:40:27 pm »

Two punches from a recruit, and the FB is doooown.

My fortress' biome keep spawning wild boars, and thanks to a nearly completed cage wall, I have entirely too many of the bastards. Debated slaughtering some but I need to train my trainers up, they are failing to tame the elephant babies I have. First lot of Giant Kingsnakes have hatched, hooray for being tame already. Mum immediately laid more eggs, so huzzah. And I have about 7 giant grasshopper eggs waiting to hatch.

As a bonus to Project Snakepit, we caught a Giant Rattlesnake! Now if I can get a girl, we can have actual poisoness snakes in the pit. I already have a caged troll to test it on. Although knowing it it'll just stroll through and not get killed. Still.

I am tempted to make the pit now and put the troll in with three Eagle People I caught and see what happens for lulz. Plus I can see how to make a pit that won't let people get away.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43613 on: October 29, 2015, 11:04:20 pm »

Two punches from a recruit, and the FB is doooown.

My fortress' biome keep spawning wild boars, and thanks to a nearly completed cage wall, I have entirely too many of the bastards. Debated slaughtering some but I need to train my trainers up, they are failing to tame the elephant babies I have. First lot of Giant Kingsnakes have hatched, hooray for being tame already. Mum immediately laid more eggs, so huzzah. And I have about 7 giant grasshopper eggs waiting to hatch.

As a bonus to Project Snakepit, we caught a Giant Rattlesnake! Now if I can get a girl, we can have actual poisoness snakes in the pit. I already have a caged troll to test it on. Although knowing it it'll just stroll through and not get killed. Still.

I am tempted to make the pit now and put the troll in with three Eagle People I caught and see what happens for lulz. Plus I can see how to make a pit that won't let people get away.
FYI, the first batch of eggs after a batch of hatchlings is always infertile.

A cave crocodile just killed a hunter and got punched to death by a metalsmith. This should make for some splendid engravings.

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43614 on: October 29, 2015, 11:41:30 pm »

Not these ones, they're reading as fertile. So either mum is a busy lady, or the hatchlings aren't entirely coded right. Either way, more snakesssss.

EDIT: Badass. One of my animal trainers just made Stapglad the Trampled Natures, a wereiguana bone greaves. It's sadly not that interesting besides menacing with wild boar bones and it's worth peanuts, but come on. Wereiguana bone greaves. I approve of material choice.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 03:44:24 am by FortunaDraken »

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43615 on: October 30, 2015, 05:58:09 am »

FYI, the first batch of eggs after a batch of hatchlings is always infertile.

This is only true if the first batch of hatchlings takes you over the 50 animal limit, or if it means that 75% of your animals are now children.

It's also not true that the first batch of eggs after you provide a nest box is invariably infertile.  If you pasture a male and female together for a while before you introduce a nest box, and both animals are fertile, you can get fertile eggs the first time.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43616 on: October 30, 2015, 07:22:23 am »

If I were in your position, I'd be lamenting the fact that I didn't get any breeding pairs of elephants out of this whole thing.
Perhaps taming enemy mounts becomes possible in future versions? I don't know.

Anyhow, my fort is now supplied with ivory and delishus elephant roasts for the next hundred years, and the rotten elephant remains have been stockpiled in the open for prospective necromancer guests.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43617 on: October 30, 2015, 07:54:11 am »

Huh. Got bored with my current fort and it's FPS trouble, so I genned a new world and poked through it in legends mode. And apparently one of the dwarf civs has a human king! I am intrigued. I might have to try sticking with a fort to get the king to show up.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43618 on: October 30, 2015, 09:10:27 am »

A manera killed a dog, and was in turn killed by a war leopard. The manera was nameless so this probably won't show up in any engravings, but at least that's still one less manera for me to deal with. Speaking of engravings, the commander's daughter is out of the hospital, so I've ordered some stone walls smoothed to begin her training.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43619 on: October 30, 2015, 12:38:59 pm »

One of the miners got moody. It took a fair bit of juggling, but he eventually claimed a piece of raw adamantine for his project. It became a grate, which might be of use when playing with the forgotten beasts.

A minotaur showed up. Once again, it appeared closest to the depot and thus far away from the military, so some moronic civilians attempted wrestling it. Fortunately, the humanoid only managed to punch a clothier before the macelady showed up and bashed its brains out. The punched clothier showed "his heart is mangled beyond recognition" initially, but it was actually just a bruise without functional damage, he fully recovered in half a day.

Having a bunch of adamantine-armed soldiers is all nice and entertaining, but cleanup gets annoying: 24 goblins, 70 parts interred, eleven left hanging from trees. I feel the goblins deserve some effort at sorting away their corpses when they're so friendly to gift us precious loincloths (44 imported so far by elves and goblins). I'm still not going to mess around cutting down trees to get at loose teeth, especially in a remote aboveground corner while everyone's massively cave-adapted.
Pages: 1 ... 2906 2907 [2908] 2909 2910 ... 3842