Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2889 2890 [2891] 2892 2893 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6098664 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #43350 on: October 16, 2015, 07:01:28 pm »

Over half my dwarves were born in the first few years of the fort. They're around 40 now. I fear the fort will finally fall in ~120 years when they all start dying of old age at once.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43351 on: October 16, 2015, 07:25:17 pm »

Your fort sounds just like Bastiongate, but with fewer dwarves and more FPS. What have you accomplished?

Not a lot.  I've walled in all of the caverns, although I have cavern 2 open all the time now specifically to invite forgotten beasts to visit.  That cavern gets no wildlife anymore, since I released some plump helmet people into a pit to try to breed them.  They didn't breed, and when I dumped a couple of tame rattlesnakes in with them, the snakes indeed killed most of them, but apparently came to a truce with the final 5.  I assume that when the last one dies of total boredom cavern 2 will begin generating wildlife again, but I'm in no hurry to accelerate that anymore.

We get regular goblin sieges, but no necromancers.  It's not an evil biome so there's little danger from wildlife.

I have no great aspirations for the fort.  It is no-migration, so the entire fort is descended from the original 7 settlers.  I used the family affairs dfhack script to forcibly marry 6 of the beginning 7 so that I would actually get kiddos.  The first ~20 years were kind of hardscrabble, with a lot of careful task management required to make sure plants were harvested timely and cooked food was removed from the kitchen.  It is far less labor-intensive now that I have a good number of working adults.  All I really want to do is see how long I can run it - and how long I can run it with a FPS above 20.  It's been dipping into the teens lately, which makes me extremely impatient with it when I have to give it actual attention.  I've been on an animal-reduction spree, which means giving away the low-value animals.  I don't want to slaughter them, because their low-value meat is not wanted.

My only real goal is that I want my dwarves to eat well and drink well - no sewer brew served here, and it annoyed me greatly when some crundle burgers wound up in the food supply.  I do everything I can to minimize low-value food.  I want them to be dressed well - all stanky goblin underwear goes into the magma chute.  Everyone gets masterwork furniture.  There's a lovely statue garden and zoo.  It's a relatively small fort, physically.

1. Only 12 FBs in 45 years!?! I've had hundreds in the same amount of time! How big is your world?

It is a medium-sized world, and I embarked on year 2 (the years I give are post-embark - the actual year right now is 47).  When I peeked at Legends, there are boatloads of forgotten beasts in the world.  They just don't feel like visiting through the 2nd cavern level I suppose.

I've also seen only 1 titan.  Most of my visitors have been semi- and megabeasts, which fell straight into my trapline with little hassle.

3. Relax, the seeds will just get dumped out on the ground (or in the barrel) and your dwarves will stick them in a new bag.

Awesome.  Thanks!

2. Go ahead and try breeding those minotaurs, I'd like to see what happens. I've got some ettins and giants I can breed and I want to see if it works before I try it.

I haven't decided for sure yet.  I'm still thinking about how I want to do it, and I periodically haul out one of the minotaurs to be bait in my silk farm, and I don't want to disrupt that.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43352 on: October 16, 2015, 10:36:20 pm »

So Operation Zombie drop is finished as originally intended. It however requires some walling in to be totally effective. One zombie survived by landing on a flooring. It killed two of my macedwarves then ran after a waxworker into a cage trap.

Also just had one dwarf who got himself stuck in the bad part of the zombie drop give me a HEART ATTACK. I forgot to unforbid the hatch leading back to the fortress, so he decided instead of waiting for someone to pull the lever on the wall behind him, he'd just CLIMB INTO THE OPEN SPACE OF THE ZOMBIE DROP. I swore he was about to fall to his death but no, he just climbed down three z-levels then onto the floor to get to the stairway. My god I nearly died.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43353 on: October 17, 2015, 03:59:48 am »

I want them to be dressed well - all stanky goblin underwear goes into the magma chute.

Fur underwear, made from the bodies of dangerous sentients? Sounds pretty luxurious to me.

I know trolls are manky, but would you feel the same way about snow-tiger underwear?

Reminds me of my last fort, where I tried to give every dwarf a room, cabinet, chest, and one of their preferences. In the end, I just gave all the inconvenient one statues.
One wheel short of a wagon

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43354 on: October 17, 2015, 06:42:31 am »

How do all your embarks seem to grow Candy lava-vomit faces so quickly?
Mostly it is just practice at this point, and being able to rapidly prototype them with an adventurer. It'll take longer when I'm doing them purely in fort mode but I'll know how best to go about it too.

Good lord, I wanted to try making blocks for the walls for this one, forgot how many wafers each block eats up. Ended up stopping at an even number and doing the edges before just slapping up single wafer walls for the rest.

Kinda wish there were relevant skills to spend points on when making an adventurer for advforting work.

I mean technically this is adventurer stuff, but I'm doing it on a fort site for fortress mode prototyping mainly. Figuring out different ways to do this so I don't gotta hack together one like I did the first time. Learning how they show up, what the best height up the tube is, etc. Weirdly enough, being able to swim in magma and mine candy doesn't actually make it easier.

Did you know: clearing a tile causes the magma behind you to rush past and wash your precious hunk of candy right over the side into a magma flow if you don't take measures to prevent it. I'm really good at it at this point, but I still lose a handful each time since it is so hard to guarantee that you won't get buffeted around while you're rushing in to grab your precious shiny.

Sadly cracking the tubes open doesn't unleash demons, and they're only mildly inconvenienced by magma pushing them around unless it knocks them into a pit. Ah well.

I'm curious if I can get dorfs to build a scaffold and channel out a section down below from on top of it then build into the cleared space while the tube is being drained further below.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43355 on: October 17, 2015, 07:31:21 am »

Fur underwear, made from the bodies of dangerous sentients? Sounds pretty luxurious to me.

I know trolls are manky, but would you feel the same way about snow-tiger underwear?

If it were no-quality and had just been ripped off a dead goblin who marched 100 km in it on campaign, absolutely.  I wouldn't wear someone else's underwear, even if it were perfectly clean and not sweaty and skidmarked like I know these are, because I know where it's been.  I won't subject my dwarves to the same, no matter how eager they are to be subjected to that.

Reminds me of my last fort, where I tried to give every dwarf a room, cabinet, chest, and one of their preferences. In the end, I just gave all the inconvenient one statues.

Keeping up with demand is easy when the fort's population increases by ~3/year.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #43356 on: October 17, 2015, 09:26:30 am »

I started up an alternate fortress and was attacked by a werecivet because my wealth growth outpaced my defense focus.

Two honorable dwarves died before the werebeast turned back into a human and was rightly strangled to death by my mason.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43357 on: October 17, 2015, 09:30:05 am »

2? That's not growth outpacing defence. 45 deaths is growth outpacing defence.
One wheel short of a wagon

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43358 on: October 17, 2015, 11:19:52 am »

I tried to retire Violentlash and visit it with an adventurer, but it crashes every time saying "Nemesis Unit Load failed" ...

Not really sure what to do now... I wanted to run around as an adventurer for a bit, equipping myself from Violentlash's vast amounts of steel armor and then at some point make a new fortress in the same world. A fortress where everyone would have every job enabled and things like that. Still need a few ideas, but that's why I wanted to adventure a bit first...

Hmph... 74 years and I can't even visit the fortress. Disappointing. Could've ran in and drowned everyone myself or such fun things...
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43359 on: October 17, 2015, 11:35:43 am »

That one's a bitch. Apparently one of your historical figures files is either gone or corrupted.

If you're lucky you've got seasonal autosave on, and one of the autosaves will have the correct file. If you're not lucky, the fort is just gone.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43360 on: October 17, 2015, 11:47:32 am »

Running out of coal. Great. I only noticed it when it's too late to make a pump stack to the magma sea with the remaining supply, so now I have to run on charcoal. While the pump stack frame is constructed far faster than expected, I still need to wait for the pump components to be made before I will have a magma-powered metal industry.

It's also kind of ironic to have to make metal pump parts to fuel the metal industry, when you're running out of fuel to do so.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #43361 on: October 17, 2015, 11:53:29 am »

Build temporary forges just above the magma sea?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43362 on: October 17, 2015, 11:55:30 am »

That one's a bitch. Apparently one of your historical figures files is either gone or corrupted.

If you're lucky you've got seasonal autosave on, and one of the autosaves will have the correct file. If you're not lucky, the fort is just gone.
I always keep a copy of my fortresses around, in case files end up damaged I'd just be thrown back to whenever I last made a backup.
Actually found two backups from ~40 years agos...they are also damaged already... :/

Might even have some older backups around on my backup hard drive, but heh...kinda sad.
So. Still got a backup of the non-retired fortress, obviously, but it still foils my evil plans of drowning everyone as an adventurer by pulling the lever of doom myself...!
(Besides, I can unretire the fortress, but it crashes whenever I open and close the nobles screen.)

Well, well. Need to reconsider whether to create a new fortress in the same world or make a new world.
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43363 on: October 17, 2015, 12:00:07 pm »

Build temporary forges just above the magma sea?
I was going to do that but it takes even longer because of the distance you need to walk between where all my bars are right now, and the magma forge.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #43364 on: October 17, 2015, 03:13:44 pm »

2? That's not growth outpacing defence. 45 deaths is growth outpacing defence.

Wealth growth, not population growth.

Pages: 1 ... 2889 2890 [2891] 2892 2893 ... 3842