Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2886 2887 [2888] 2889 2890 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6098834 times)

Iliithid

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank You, Friend Computer!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #43305 on: October 13, 2015, 01:57:13 am »

Holy Towers™! I can't even deal with one, let alone fucking SEVEN. At the moment I've been generating a lot of new worlds, trying to hammer in the old Aquifer Bypass Stratagem™. Went back to try my hand at a bit of vanilla 0.34 as well, to remind myself why I hate trees.
"Here's a weapon of ridiculous destructive capability I invented, it is capable of wrecking tons of shit in horrific fashion... now I just need to figure out how to aim it."

That's absurdly dwarven of you, I'm so proud to be here to see it.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43306 on: October 13, 2015, 03:11:24 am »

I've gotten 17 visible as neighbors before but it's hard to find ideal spots like that.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43307 on: October 13, 2015, 07:02:32 am »

Woooow I kind of gave up on my last tower spot because the undead were being asses and I might've crashed the map out a bit by accidentally spawning magma instead of water one time, resulting in all the trees constantly falling over. But yeah I...don't know how to deal with one tower so kudos to you for having a way to deal with 7 XD
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43308 on: October 13, 2015, 02:16:44 pm »

Major defensive engineering project. It has three phases; the outer wall, the ceiling over the outer wall, and a moat around the outer wall.
After at least two ingame years, the ceiling is done. Decided to drop the moat for now in favor of getting a water reservoir for an internal well. That'll stop my hospitalized dwarves from dying in the winter.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43309 on: October 13, 2015, 05:36:04 pm »

I'm making my most happy little fort ever. No massive defense projects (just a nice little box that gobos go into and never come out of), lots of marble pillars and fruit trees outside and that sort of thing. I cut my first stream through the courtyard with a nice little waterfall ending in a statue garden and the first thing the baroness consort does is goes and throws her baby in it and then drowns herself trying to get it out. I should have just killed the whole family off before that. They're not even barons of my fort. Why don't they ever try and emigrate to their own little fiefdom.

Actually that's another story, I can't get a baron because my mayor is a vampire whose locked up in cell, so she can't meet with the outpost liaison when he/she comes. The last liaison just stood on the map edge until a Roc spawned about 5 tiles away from her. The liaison was actually a mace dorf, but she didn't put it to very good use and got her head bit clean off. So, I guess, it's not all happy in this fort. Just wait until I try and make a forgotten beast zoo...

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43310 on: October 13, 2015, 09:58:32 pm »

Actually that's another story, I can't get a baron because my mayor is a vampire whose locked up in cell, so she can't meet with the outpost liaison when he/she comes.

You can give someone else the mayor title in the nobles screen.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43311 on: October 13, 2015, 10:30:38 pm »

Afters years of playing Dwarf Fortress, I just today discovered Macros :-[  I have been using QuickFort for quite some time now, but still.

Oriolous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43312 on: October 13, 2015, 11:25:58 pm »

Setting up an egg farm.

...how do I collect ONLY infertile eggs? :v

Iliithid

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank You, Friend Computer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43313 on: October 14, 2015, 01:16:25 am »

Don't pasture your males with your females? There's no way to otherwise.
"Here's a weapon of ridiculous destructive capability I invented, it is capable of wrecking tons of shit in horrific fashion... now I just need to figure out how to aim it."

That's absurdly dwarven of you, I'm so proud to be here to see it.

Oriolous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43314 on: October 14, 2015, 01:55:10 am »

the point is to get rid of the infertile eggs so fertile ones can be laid in their place. so that's stupid...

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43315 on: October 14, 2015, 02:06:48 am »

the point is to get rid of the infertile eggs so fertile ones can be laid in their place. so that's stupid...

Link to the wiki article.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43316 on: October 14, 2015, 02:20:07 am »

I look forward to AV being able to show magma on higher z-levels.

Two tiny sieges down, who knows how many to go. Three melted zombies and one elf merchant (the other left after I gave them some wooden crafts and siezed what I wanted) who got chucked by the bridge into the magma.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43317 on: October 14, 2015, 03:48:27 am »

Mmm, bridge chucking into magma. One day I need to set up one of those.

My latest Fort had 15 people after two migration waves, around 5 of which were useless children. Wave 3 just rolled in and now I have FIFTY-ONE PEOPLE. I am not prepared DX

So many useless children too now....so many...
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #43318 on: October 14, 2015, 04:09:04 am »

Honestly, it'd be nice if dorfs wouldn't bring their children to your fort unless you've stopped being a remote, poorly-defended outpost.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #43319 on: October 14, 2015, 05:33:07 am »

I've just noticed that I must have embarked in England.

It's been raining non stop for about a year now. My dwarves have stopped getting unhappy thoughts about it.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.
Pages: 1 ... 2886 2887 [2888] 2889 2890 ... 3842