Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2883 2884 [2885] 2886 2887 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099231 times)

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #43260 on: October 10, 2015, 06:17:41 pm »

On a related note, it is disgusting how much faster my dwarves produce food than they eat it. Makes me wish I could trade away prepared meals.

??? Are you playing with a self-imposed "no using prepared meals as currency" rule? Because I regularly use prepared meals to buy out most of every caravan. Except the elves, because I can't be bothered to make large pots to accommodate delicate elven sensibilities about pre-burned charcoal.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #43261 on: October 10, 2015, 06:32:30 pm »

On a related note, it is disgusting how much faster my dwarves produce food than they eat it. Makes me wish I could trade away prepared meals.

??? Are you playing with a self-imposed "no using prepared meals as currency" rule? Because I regularly use prepared meals to buy out most of every caravan. Except the elves, because I can't be bothered to make large pots to accommodate delicate elven sensibilities about pre-burned charcoal.
I usually trade away my prepared meals and worn clothing, simply because I can't get rid of them any other way. To compensate for being able to produce massive quantities of extremely valuable items, I usually give the traders a 10000% profit margin. I don't need to buy out whole caravans. I just want metal bars, iron and steel goods, and gems. Gems because I'm trying to make the most valuable ☼<<elk bird skull totem>>☼ ever created. It's over 50000☼ at this point.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43262 on: October 10, 2015, 06:39:08 pm »

No, when I go to the Trade Depot, there isn't an option for prepared meals.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43263 on: October 10, 2015, 06:41:19 pm »

Are you sure? Isn't there a search feature? Or is that just DFhack?

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43264 on: October 10, 2015, 06:42:35 pm »

No, when I go to the Trade Depot, there isn't an option for prepared meals.
That doesn't mean you can't trade them. If you sort by value instead of distance (hit [d]), there's a good likelihood that the first page is going to be entirely barrels of prepared meals, or ☼roasts☼ outside barrels.

And @TheFlame52: Search feature's DFHack only, yep.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43265 on: October 10, 2015, 06:46:30 pm »

Huh, I guess I'll just have to look harder next time the caravan comes.

Idle curiosity, has anyone observed wild animals using next boxes? I'm thinking about throwing my undesirables into breeding pits to ensure that there's plenty of them when it comes time to train the military (post-danger room, of course), but the crundles, man, THE CRUNDLES.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43266 on: October 10, 2015, 07:00:11 pm »

Idle curiosity, has anyone observed wild animals using next boxes? I'm thinking about throwing my undesirables into breeding pits to ensure that there's plenty of them when it comes time to train the military (post-danger room, of course), but the crundles, man, THE CRUNDLES.

Nnnnot anymore that I know of. I think one of the early .34.x versions had wild fowl invading to use the nest boxes, but Toady fixed that. The wiki says only "a tame, egg laying creature" will use a nest box, so I don't think the wild crundles will.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43267 on: October 10, 2015, 07:24:01 pm »

Year 39.  Population 128.  One of my miners, during a strange mood, built an artifact statue.  This is the fort's fourth statue.  100% of the artifact statues depict dead or dying horses.  I wish I had an explanation for this.  We've killed 5 forgotten beasts and untold numbers of goblins, but none of them have made an impression quite like the mortality of the horse herd.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #43268 on: October 10, 2015, 08:23:59 pm »

Maybe your dorfs really, really hate MLP?  ???
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43269 on: October 10, 2015, 08:33:33 pm »

Violentlash now resides on a lake. Created by dwarf (and wind-)power, obviously.
Had build two dams first, filling up the canyon created by the east-west river, into which the north river dropped previously, but I felt like that just wasn't enough, so I had the screw pumps (powered by wind) used for emptying the north river turned around, build a wall around the border of the embark, as far out as possible, going from the lowest to one level above the highest ground level, chopped down all trees that were still standing on the north side of the map, and filled up the whole area with water. (And afterwards I used DFHack to finally clean up the whole area...)

Ground Level, Before / One Level up, Before - After building the dams and the wall for the later lake.

Would have loved to have taken a screenshot with Stonesense, but somehow I can't start it (anymore) playing Violentlash - it just crashes claiming not to be able to load its files. Works fine on other fortresses/adventure mode... - Besides, I still have no idea how to take one of those "big screenshots" with it...

Sadly, overall the fortress seems to have become crashy lately. Pretty has a high risk of crashing every month, which made me think that I probably will finally retired the fortress after almost 72 years of its existence. Really sad, as I love the new look this lake has given to the fortress. Hopefully I can figure out what causes the game to crash upon unretiring or going near the fortress in adventure mode, because that was another problem I've been having for a long time, when I tried what'd happen if I visited the fortress with an adventurer.

EDIT:
Just realized that I actually have a lever that pretty much instantly floods the whole fortress. What !!FUN!! that could bring...!

EDIT2:
http://imgur.com/a/xh34g - A gallery of all screenshots I uploaded from that fortress, as well as an old unreveal and an unreveal of the whole map of how it currently looks.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 09:28:57 pm by SyrusLD »
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43270 on: October 10, 2015, 08:56:13 pm »

LMAO I think I just had my first official !!FUN!! time. I've had werebeasts before but this time a Weregecko decided to show up at the same time as the dwarven caravan. Thankfully the guards aren't totally incompetent and I had a vampdwarf sitting shut in a room that I could unleash. Still managed to lose two fisherdwarfs that couldn't run to save their lives and the outpost liason (goodbye my desires for leather, hopefully next year's caravan telepathically got those wishes before he died). Surprisingly the liason managed to beat the crap out of the beast with the help of one of the guards. Guard got the kill though, sob.

Now to hope I can recage my vampdwarf before he eats someone.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43271 on: October 10, 2015, 09:08:46 pm »

City Dentbridge, 207 Galena 24 - 208 Granite 01: 130 134 beards

207-06-24: Protip: Don't assign all your civilians to military squads and then give them a barracks to train in without giving them passive orders. 95 of my 113 adult dwarves rushed off to do individual combat drills, and didn't stop until I removed the barracks. And 8 of the others aren't even in a squad because they're miners and woodcutters, and I think the other 10 weren't idle.

Anyway, I'm making a shitton of spears for the civilians to carry around and practice with. 3 per squad will train, every month. Hopefully they'll become half-decent speardwarves soon enough.

Spoiler: Autumn (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Winter (click to show/hide)

208-01-01: Another uneventful six months. Jeez, I might need to deliberately piss off the elves to get any entertainment at this rate! Also, Melbil Lashbraid, stop slacking and take a shift in the barracks, you're the only dwarf in a squad with no speardwarf experience.

Also, 4 babies happened.

Edit: I was wrong; the Move Goods to/from Depot screen's search option is a vanilla DF thing. DFHack searches are red, in my experience; this one is green. So you can search for "roast" or "stew" or "biscuits" (or "prepared food") and get what you want even without DFHack.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 10:08:19 pm by Lielac »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43272 on: October 11, 2015, 08:34:11 am »

Has a pretty high risk of crashing every month, which made me think that I probably will finally retire the fortress after almost 72 years of its existence.
That's impressive as shit. Bastiongate is only 47 years old and I've been playing it for 7 months. Which version are you using?

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43273 on: October 11, 2015, 10:43:44 am »

Has a pretty high risk of crashing every month, which made me think that I probably will finally retire the fortress after almost 72 years of its existence.
That's impressive as shit. Bastiongate is only 47 years old and I've been playing it for 7 months. Which version are you using?
Started on 40.23 but switched over to 40.24 at some point. Thing is, I don't really "play" very much, having the game just run in the background all day while doing other things and occasionally checking on what the duchess or mayor demand. Most work I lately put into the fortress was errecting the wall to flood the whole topside and turn it all into a fine looking lake. Having it all run at 10-15 FPS, I think I couldn't have suffered through it with enough patience without using fastdwarf sadly.

No idea how long I've been playing it, going by the files about 4 months. But I pretty much have the game run every day. First years also had much better FPS as I had the migration cap at 42 and the overall cap at 135, having it only increase via births and having had a very small and quite efficient fortress setup, relying mostly on minecarts and quantum stockpiles.
Interestingly only recently I had the first of the first seven dwarves die, even though they settled there on the 23rd of Opal in 667 and we're in the year 739 already. First child was born in 669 and is now 70 years old already - unless I missed some child who was born before that and died, but I don't think so, focussed on keeping people alive as best as possible.
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43274 on: October 11, 2015, 10:58:08 am »

No idea how long I've been playing it, going by the files about 4 months. But I pretty much have the game run every day. First years also had much better FPS as I had the migration cap at 42 and the overall cap at 135, having it only increase via births and having had a very small and quite efficient fortress setup, relying mostly on minecarts and quantum stockpiles.
Interestingly only recently I had the first of the first seven dwarves die, even though they settled there on the 23rd of Opal in 667 and we're in the year 739 already. First child was born in 669 and is now 70 years old already - unless I missed some child who was born before that and died, but I don't think so, focussed on keeping people alive as best as possible.
Ahhh. I've been doing it with the default cap of 200/210, with another hundred or so animals running around. I get about 8-12 FPS, depending on what I'm doing. And no fastdwarf.

I've got several claims to fame in Bastiongate. I've got the largest FB collection ever assembled. I'm the only one to ever have demons born in his fort. I'm one of few to ever wall off hell completely, and I'm the only one to ever flood hell. And I'm pretty sure Bastiongate is older than 99.99% of forts, too.
Pages: 1 ... 2883 2884 [2885] 2886 2887 ... 3842