Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2882 2883 [2884] 2885 2886 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099248 times)

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #43245 on: October 09, 2015, 11:58:25 am »

And just for my own peace of mind -- monsters are still unable to dig, right?  Right?

Monsters are unable to dig - unless you mod the game.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43246 on: October 09, 2015, 12:42:48 pm »

Just got my hands on another male tiger. I'll train him as a warbeast and assign the leopard to a hunter so there's room in the "kittyzone" I'm trying to breed the tigers in. Oh, and I picked up another batch of wild boars too. Hopefully all those pigs in one pasture is going to produce some offspring soon.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 12:50:06 pm by cochramd »
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #43247 on: October 09, 2015, 03:21:06 pm »

Also, I enjoy adding creatures to the "Overall Training" screen and increasing my knowledge levels.
Same. That's often the sole reason I tame some species - after I reach expert, I butcher them all.

I've got 2 1/4 pages of trained animals. Most of them are expert. I think all I have left are dragons, rocs, giant cave swallows, and leopards.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43248 on: October 09, 2015, 05:22:36 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Joycup is almost ready to revert to fort mode.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43249 on: October 09, 2015, 06:17:16 pm »

Also, I enjoy adding creatures to the "Overall Training" screen and increasing my knowledge levels.
Same. That's often the sole reason I tame some species - after I reach expert, I butcher them all.

I've got 2 1/4 pages of trained animals. Most of them are expert. I think all I have left are dragons, rocs, giant cave swallows, and leopards.
Wow, talk about completionism. I myself don't let any animal live too long after taming unless I'm looking to breed a domestic population; I learned a hard lesson from the crundles. Speaking of the scaly little bastards, do you know what the precise conditions for reaching the different training levels are? I've started catching them and don't want to train any more than I have to. I recall from previous experience that I got to expert in crundles after about 80 of them and that 2 or 3 of anything is enough for "a few facts". I've got 47 wild boars under my belt and am currently at "knowledgeable" with them. Also, is there a reason trainers don't go and fully tame baby animals right away?

Anyhow, updates: the tigers bred, producing one male cub and one female cub....wait, they bred again and produced another male cub. The wild boars have produced 8 more piglets, 8 of them male. One of the original piglets has also grown into a sow and had a female piglet of her own. Additionally, I've captured another batch of feral swine, 1 boar and 4 sows. I accidentally picked up a herd of water buffalo (4 cows, 2 bulls), moved them and my llama herd to an underground pasture. Everything else I've gotten from the surface is snakes and birds, plus a cougar, a taipir, a leopard and a pack of dingoes. Save for the peregrines I'm trying to breed and the leopard, they were all slaughtered. Oh, look, and here comes a trio of Saltwater Crocodiles....right into my cages.

Haven't found the first cavern yet, but I've started trapping the second and third; the second has provided me no animals since that blasted Giant Toad just sits there at the bottom of the lake doing nothing, even though I've provided the nice bait of 9 stone statues. The third level, on the other hand, has been quite fruitful: I've captured numerous crundles (I don't bother counting them), 12 elk birds, 1 male Jabberer and 1 male Voracious Cave Crawler. I haven't gotten to taming the latter 3 yet; I need to clear out the crundles first before I get into the Jabberer and Voracious Cave Crawler, and I'm debating whether or not I want to keep a domestic population of elk birds. I also picked up 3 blind cave ogres, 2 trolls and a Giant Cave Spider.....not sure how I ended up with that last one.

Training levels as of right now*:

Is it strange that I miss the elves? They might've brought me suitable breeding partners for some of my captured animals, and they always sold those lovely lightweight wooden cages......

*Literally a few seconds after I posted this, I reached "knowledgeable" in crundles.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 06:21:41 pm by cochramd »

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43250 on: October 09, 2015, 06:53:16 pm »

Here's mine. I had to zoom out a bit.

Some things I'm particularly proud of: My war giant sparrow air force, a GCS and her three babies ripping a goblin siege to shreds, my 9 chained rocs, and that cave dragon eggs are a common part of my dwarves' diets.

Crundles were the first animal I reached expert on because I had so many, though I had to stick a child state on them. I did that to a lot of creatures, VCC included. I let the crundles die out, but recently I captured a bunch more and let them breed because I modded them to hunt vermin and I want an alternative to cats.

I gave up on the giant bugs, since they don't live long enough to have children or do anything worthwhile. Other than that, I'm doing much better than you, probably because Bastiongate is 47 years old with five legendary animal trainers. It's got a ring of cage traps all the way around it (completed in year 5ish) which catch basically anything on the map that walks, adding to my animal stockpile. I usually just dump them in magma these days, though populations are running out again after the retiring/unretiring replenished them.

Bastiongate's world doesn't have any elves at all, so every animal I possess I trained myself.

All in all, good luck and happy training!

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43251 on: October 09, 2015, 09:35:25 pm »

City Dentbridge, 206 Granite 18 - 207 Granite 01: 122 123 124 125 127 beards

206-01-18: So there's an elven diplomat asking me to not cut down trees! Ha. Haha. Hahahahaha YEAH NO I WANT YOU TO SIEGE ME

Spoiler: Spring (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Summer (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Autumn (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Winter (click to show/hide)

207-01-01: Not a very interesting year, to be honest. Although two more romances popped up while I wasn't paying attention (Asen Rainedpaddled and Uzol Guildsound, and Kumil Rampartlisten and Lokum Calmedgolds), so that's nice. In the interests of ‼science‼, of the three pairings created in-fort, Morul has lowish love propensity and her boyfriend Thob has lowish lust propensity; Asen doesn't have any one way or t'other, same with Uzol; and Kumil is the same, but Lokum values romance and has high love propensity. So that's interesting.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43252 on: October 10, 2015, 09:31:47 am »

Came up with another method to sort carts on a shared track: sub-tracks.

Carts going over series of alternating impulse ramps will keep moving at one ramp per step, but if the "odd" ramps all point in the same direction, the carts will get displaced to the side a bit (~1/29th tile) for each ramp. They typically start out in the middle of a tile, so it takes 15 displacements for the cart to leave the track.

So i built an alternating-ramp track
Code: [Select]
......      ......
▲▲▲▲▲▲      ╔║╔║╔║
######      ######
ramps        track

which carts enter at different points (through the angled ramps, coming from above). Depending on where they entered the track, they receive more or less northward displacement (one, two or three portions in the example). At the end of the shared track, they run over even more alternating-ramps track and indeed, the cart that got only one bit of previous displacement needs fourteen more to go off the track, while the cart that got three bits takes only twelve more. It's quite easy to catch and reroute the "displaced" carts at their divergence points and convey them to separate target locations. My experimental setup takes carts from eleven input points and correctly moves them to their seperate eleven destinations, through a shared flat track.

Unfortunately, it only works with straight track. Every proper track corner eliminates all off-sets and replaces carts in the middle of the tile. Jumps on the straight path seem not to fiddle with the sub-coordinates, though. Stopping and re-starting the cart(s) leaves the sub-track settings untouched, as well, as long as they get re-started without getting handled by dwarfs, i.e. bumped forward by other carts or presumably accelerated by rollers. I only tried bumping with a cart: sent carts 6,1.8.3,10 (in that order) along the track, stopped them in the middle by a door, then levered open the door and smacked a push-and-ramp accelerated other cart into the queue from behind. Every time the queue was bumped, the first cart started moving again and went to its proper destination (6,1,8.3,10).

Theoretically, these ramp displacements could give fifteen usable "sub-tracks" when starting in the middle of the tiles and only displacing in one direction, 29 if using both possible displacement directions. The ramp arrays used for that purpose would quickly become impractically large, though.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 06:14:41 pm by Larix »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43253 on: October 10, 2015, 09:35:25 am »

Well, the crypt is expanding nicely, we have our third artifact, and our cage traps have started to bear fruit.

Skunk breeding commences. *Rubs hands"
One wheel short of a wagon

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43254 on: October 10, 2015, 01:05:59 pm »

Embarking in a savage desert just to domesticate the fearsome Giant Desert Scorpion? That's hardcore, man. Did you manage to breed the GCS without taming them? I've read they're useless for silk farming when tame.

A full update later, but for now I'll just say that I've caught my first cave dragon, and it is a female adult (which is surprising since the world is only 9 or 10 years old at this point).

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43255 on: October 10, 2015, 01:29:15 pm »

Embarking in a savage desert just to domesticate the fearsome Giant Desert Scorpion? That's hardcore, man. Did you manage to breed the GCS without taming them? I've read they're useless for silk farming when tame.

A full update later, but for now I'll just say that I've caught my first cave dragon, and it is a female adult (which is surprising since the world is only 9 or 10 years old at this point).
I actually domesticated them first, then bred wild ones later. I use tame ones in my FB traps (because the mortality rate is so high) and wild ones in my silk drop demon trap.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43256 on: October 10, 2015, 01:42:12 pm »

Tame the males and keep the females wild at first, right?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43257 on: October 10, 2015, 03:14:49 pm »

After I was forced to retire and unretire, all the wild populations were restored. I was able to capture wild male and female GCS and breed them in a room. After two generations, I captured all 11 GCS in cage traps. One is in my demon trap webbing a goblin, the rest are spares.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43258 on: October 10, 2015, 05:13:48 pm »

So, a rather unexpected pair of events occurred. First, likely to accommodate them doing business with humans, a caravan arrived. Second, a rather large contingent of mainly evil wizards arrived to "help" build the dungeon.

A few zombies have been raised for some basic meatshields for the inevitable. They're slow, and more than a little stupid, but a bunch of them with sharp sticks are better than nothing. There was also a werecreature attack, a lizard-sign kobold who killed a caravan guard, transformed into said kobold, and was murdered by a pack of ghoul wrestlers I sicced on it (as they were the only ones both ready and able to fight. The kobold didn't last long without his werecritter powers.)

I'm sort of at a loss for what to do now, as I wasn't expecting an influx of migrants as warlocks.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43259 on: October 10, 2015, 05:51:01 pm »

WOOOOOO WEE.

I've caught a lot, too much to keep track of. I've got breeding programs running on another subterranian soil floor for elk birds, giant toads and rutherers. I also noticed that I built more bedrooms than I needed to and converted some to pastures/incubators for saltwater crocodiles (oh 89 hatchlings from 2 mothers? Armok, that's a lot of hatchlings, guess I don't need the parents anymore), cave crocodiles (I only have 1 female, but I'll get more and some males eventually) and Jabberers (I've got 5 now, 3 of them female. And here I thought these things were supposed to be rare). Only the salties have produced offspring so far. I've also finally got a female Voracious Cave Crawler, so I guess I should start breeding those too. Maybe that one Giant Olm I have can wait until a potential partner shows up. I reached expert in crundles what seems like eons ago; they now join the blind cave ogres, the trolls, the troglodytes, the reachers, the gorlaks, the flesh balls and the plump helmet men in the "future live training creatures" pile. Oh and the surface creatures! I could breed any sort of snake or bird that lands on my territory.....maybe I should give it a go soon. After all, if I just kill them all I might never reach expert in them. It's a good thing that Cave Dragon is immortal, because it's going to be a long time before I get to her.

Current training screen, no hatchlings tamed yet:

On a related note, it is disgusting how much faster my dwarves produce food than they eat it. Makes me wish I could trade away prepared meals.

Pages: 1 ... 2882 2883 [2884] 2885 2886 ... 3842