Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2878 2879 [2880] 2881 2882 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099703 times)

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #43185 on: October 04, 2015, 07:40:39 am »

I've started a new fort in a new world. I'm keeping my old one going as well, but I just wanted a change of scenery. Immediately, most of the embark party was mauled by yeti, so I decided that this would be a glacial fortress of solitude for a pair of hermits.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43186 on: October 04, 2015, 01:46:45 pm »

Lost a fresh fort to some mysterious blood loss and the insight the biome was reanimating after all. Apparently infections that were not diagnosed ... guess something changed in 40.24 in comparison to the versions I used to run or well, usually I have a sufficient amount of thread and cloth not embarking with almost nothing.

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43187 on: October 04, 2015, 02:02:46 pm »

Year 29.  Population now 99.  Had the crundles down under 350 but then some goblins decided to drop by for dinner, and while I was cleaning up (so that my stupid dwarves don't start wearing smelly bloody troll fur loincloths) the crundle population went back up to 400.

Sadly, I don't think this embark has jabberers.

Have you heard the good news about our lord and savior Magma?

I've been getting goblin sieges pretty consistently since my population reached 80.  They invariably appear at the southern edge of the map, which is also the highest elevation, and usually just a few days before the dwarvan caravan arrives.  Getting magma up there and then using it on the goblins in such a way that avoids it sliding down the mountain and setting my entire map (and the caravan) alight is more engineering effort than I care to expend, especially since it takes my 2 squads of kiddos about thirty seconds to wipe out the siege in melee combat.

Or did you mean there's some way to use magma to make jabberers spawn?

Yes.  If you flood the cavern with magma to kill all the crundles other stuff can spawn instead after it cools. 

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43188 on: October 04, 2015, 02:46:33 pm »

Yes.  If you flood the cavern with magma to kill all the crundles other stuff can spawn instead after it cools.

The crundles are off-map.  I was using region-pops to count how many of them I was going to have to attract and kill before they stopped spawning.

They stopped spawning, along with everything else except forgotten beasts, as soon as I let the captured plump helmet people out of their cages, but continue to breed off-map.

Camulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43189 on: October 05, 2015, 03:33:00 am »

Camulus has a splendidly superb new embark:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now what shall I do......
Thought of a Moonspire overlooking the river from the west, and a Sunhall over the waterfall, resplendent with glass and all such niceties.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43190 on: October 05, 2015, 04:00:27 am »

Year 35.  Population 113.  The wild buzzards were quickly exterminated with the help of a timely human caravan, but not before my most delicate flower of a citizen began stumbling about obliviously, despite having never seen a buzzard and having developed all her stress over them through the dwarven psychic friends network.  She has spent literally 6 solid years yelling and crying at my duchess/mayor.  I disabled all labors on the duchess/mayor except for cooking (she is my only legendary cook), and offloaded her manager/bookkeeper duties to a fresh-faced kiddo who had no other appropriate role, specifically so she would be available almost 24/7 to be yelled at/cried upon.  Only now, six years later, is the wilting violet no longer showing visible stress.

Wow.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43191 on: October 05, 2015, 04:52:45 am »

I forgot that leaving to adventure meant all the beds get screwed up, so I've got the pre-retire backup save of Treatylong I could play around with I guess, but then I found this volcano that looked... intriguing, to say the least.

I just... I don't know where to start.

Tons and tons and tons of marble, hematite, chalk, cobaltite, gold, tetrahedrite, kimerlite, olivine, and even sand!

Plus two and a half towers nearby (one shows as no trade?) and Treatylong is just 8 world tiles away so I should get migrants from it.

Step one: make sure I can lock down fast when zombies show up.

Camulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43192 on: October 05, 2015, 06:19:22 am »

I....forgot to check the neighbors for this site.
What a pleasant surprise : )

Time to test me defenses.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43193 on: October 05, 2015, 08:32:19 am »

I forgot that leaving to adventure meant all the beds get screwed up, so I've got the pre-retire backup save of Treatylong I could play around with I guess, but then I found this volcano that looked... intriguing, to say the least.

Tons and tons and tons of marble, hematite, chalk, cobaltite, gold, tetrahedrite, kimerlite, olivine, and even sand!

Plus two and a half towers nearby (one shows as no trade?) and Treatylong is just 8 world tiles away so I should get migrants from it.

The only solution for this magnificent fortress is a defendable ballista installation in the side of the mountain with a stoppable flow of magma covering it until use is needed.
And, you know, a more decorative magmafall.
Black lives matter.

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43194 on: October 05, 2015, 08:38:27 am »

My Impenetrable Mountain Home fortified farmhouses are ready to face the doom. So far, only invasion waves of keas.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 09:29:19 am by Kuikka »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43195 on: October 05, 2015, 09:30:42 am »

My beard! I spent many hours playing and writing up notes over the weekend. I think I only had 6 hours sleep between Friday and Saturday.

This is my first time to join and take a turn in a succession game, Breadbowl.

That link is where my turn starts.  The challenge is to trade all the prepared meals and drinks to every caravan because it is mandated by the King.
Breadbowl is thriving, a circular moat dug and filled to some level. 

The siege lifted, and I began posting the results.  I'd like to share it here in "What's going in your fort" but I have too many posts, so I thought to share the link above instead.  Thanks.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43196 on: October 05, 2015, 10:44:13 am »

The only solution for this magnificent fortress is a defendable ballista installation in the side of the mountain with a stoppable flow of magma covering it until use is needed.
And, you know, a more decorative magmafall.
It's only a 2x2 so I've got 1 tile of flat ground, 1 hill, then the wall of volcano and mountain.

Gonna build scaffolds up the side and try to work out something like building a dorf on the side and having a mouth I can open which just vomits magma over the rest of the embark.

Also plan to turn to hill into the main fort section once I get the sand dug away.

Kneenibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43197 on: October 05, 2015, 11:57:08 am »

Camulus has a splendidly superb new embark:

Now what shall I do......
Thought of a Moonspire overlooking the river from the west, and a Sunhall over the waterfall, resplendent with glass and all such niceties.

Every time I have found an amazing embark feature like this, I ended up paralyzed by indecision about the perfect way to take advantage of it.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 12:17:24 pm by Kneenibble »

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43198 on: October 05, 2015, 12:15:17 pm »

You should wall off a section of one split of the lower river with grates and drop invaders/corpses in it, with possible carnivorous fish/reptiles waiting below.
The grates keep the fish and the bodies in, while letting the blood and other bodily fluids wash safely away.
Optionally you make a dam and allow the water to flow at the press of a lever.
Black lives matter.

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #43199 on: October 05, 2015, 01:24:46 pm »

Besieged again is the fort of voidspider, but I've readied some measures for this larger batch:  Namely, a ballista to bombard the goblins who are (still) poorly armored with only caps for metal armor.  I did catch a wereopposum though, and suffered a bite victim who eventually got quarantined in a cask style.  Only a matter of time until the siege is broken by blood thorn bolts.  (Preparing some silver arrow heads to assemble for future sieges)
Pages: 1 ... 2878 2879 [2880] 2881 2882 ... 3842