Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2872 2873 [2874] 2875 2876 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6100288 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #43095 on: September 23, 2015, 03:55:46 pm »

Just visited the Circus for the first time, expecting and hoping for some Fun after the only two things attacking me were a small goblin siege and a steam FB which one of my miners punched to death.
What happened was that my extremely underwhelming and mostly unarmored militia beat off the Clowns with extreme ease, losing only 7 out of 30 dwarves.

Then my smith had a mood...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I am now contemplating sacrificing him to the clowns.
Well, at least it means that the hammerer won't be killing anyone.

E: Wait, it's a toy hammer. Sacrifice he.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43096 on: September 23, 2015, 04:03:16 pm »

After all these years playing DF I have managed to achieve two things with my current fort.

1) Magma, magma forges and of course, magma defenses... melting/burning FB is a sight to behold.
2) Found my first adamantine *snif*. I actually had to consult wiki as i had no idea how to process it (the material, not the feeling).

Too bad there's been no goblin sieges or any other threats (aside that one FB) :( my soldiers are legendary with four different weapon types. I actually WANT the worst to happen now...

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #43097 on: September 23, 2015, 08:24:29 pm »

While I've made far less progress than you have, I know the feeling. There's a reason people are still playing old versions, what with enemies actually attacking you and such. The most excitement my two forts so far have had to deal with were werebeasts and a single GCS, and I dealt with those comparatively easily. My first fort almost achieved !fun! in its third year, when I accidentally broke my own food production, but then the save corrupted.

40.24 really isn't a !!fun!! update, sadly. Great for learning the basic civilian mechanics, though. I look forward to a succession of horrible, humiliating fort-losses once the next update drops, what with me being barely able to figure out the military system.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

GiantCaveMushroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Born Pessimist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43098 on: September 23, 2015, 09:11:10 pm »

Decided to get back into the game.

Right, new fort. Oooh, volcano with clay, sand, lots of metals and flux! Climate's nice. Lots of trees to cut down. Only downside is no running water.

All is going well, when suddenly, two months in, "Ineth Rigothgim, Woodcutter cancels Fell Tree: Unconscious."

Turns out, a larch log fell on him and crushed his hand.

So far so good...

I had that happen to me before, except the log fell on the woodcutter's head instead.

...and that's why I have three dedicated woodcutters.

kirmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43099 on: September 24, 2015, 03:21:00 am »

After all these years playing DF I have managed to achieve two things with my current fort.

1) Magma, magma forges and of course, magma defenses... melting/burning FB is a sight to behold.
2) Found my first adamantine *snif*. I actually had to consult wiki as i had no idea how to process it (the material, not the feeling).

Too bad there's been no goblin sieges or any other threats (aside that one FB) :( my soldiers are legendary with four different weapon types. I actually WANT the worst to happen now...

Ürist McKuikka cancels process live feeling: path not found.

Artichaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43100 on: September 24, 2015, 04:30:33 am »

After the deadly attack of FB who kills 32 military dwarfs, and the baron killed just after, Silverwinds is still alive. I set magma forges, my new soldiers have all masterwork steel armor.2 FB, 2 goblin sieges, 1 werekangoroo and a weremammouth came, and i lost around 4 dwarfs, civilians included.

Things go smootly when i see something strange : Crundles who climb 2 levels on cavern walls and seem to be struck. I send a squad to see if they can attract them to the ground. It didn't work, BUT ... the crundles attacked the dwarfs 2 tiles down, and of course the soldiers can't strike back. There is 14 crundles in the same spot, so each round a soldier take 14 attacks. One is knocked unconscious, and so a civilian came to send him to hospital. The civilian is knocked unconscious ... This thing is spiraling down fast, with more and more civilians comming. I sent marksdwarfs to shoot them, and when they finally arrived (this is level -130), they shoot 1 crundle, and then stop hitting them. I see lots of bolts on the ground, i think a corner stop them. The 13 remaining crundle continue to attack the growing crowd below them.

I finally got them by digging stairs 2 levels up. There was no less than 5 named crundles, I lost 2 soldiers and 10 civilans, plus lots of wounded dwarfs. !Fun! indeed.

BEWARE THE CLIMBING CRUNDLES !

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #43101 on: September 24, 2015, 11:38:38 am »

Decided to get back into the game.

Right, new fort. Oooh, volcano with clay, sand, lots of metals and flux! Climate's nice. Lots of trees to cut down. Only downside is no running water.

All is going well, when suddenly, two months in, "Ineth Rigothgim, Woodcutter cancels Fell Tree: Unconscious."

Turns out, a larch log fell on him and crushed his hand.

So far so good...

I had that happen to me before, except the log fell on the woodcutter's head instead.

...and that's why I have three dedicated woodcutters.
He apparently was left handed, because he got up and carried on cutting down trees.

Well, the game crashed mid-way through Autumn. (My fault. Don't look at the raws while the game's saving.)

Still got the site, only issue is that I've lost more than half a year of progress. The bright side is that his hand's not crushed.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Treah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43102 on: September 24, 2015, 12:15:28 pm »

While I've made far less progress than you have, I know the feeling. There's a reason people are still playing old versions, what with enemies actually attacking you and such. The most excitement my two forts so far have had to deal with were werebeasts and a single GCS, and I dealt with those comparatively easily. My first fort almost achieved !fun! in its third year, when I accidentally broke my own food production, but then the save corrupted.

40.24 really isn't a !!fun!! update, sadly. Great for learning the basic civilian mechanics, though. I look forward to a succession of horrible, humiliating fort-losses once the next update drops, what with me being barely able to figure out the military system.

You know im not sure what causes this particular problem because I get sieged all the time in the current version. I have had 4 or 5 pretty sizable goblin seiges with trolls. My fort is only 7 years old too....  Maybe its because I am at war with the gobos or that I am close to them or something. I am playing on a small world too so they don't have very far to travel to me. Im also using DFHACK but I don't think that fixes anything with invasions.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43103 on: September 24, 2015, 01:58:38 pm »

There's still much to be had from reanimating biomes.

You know, the fact that the lack of sieges is apparently down to a pathing-bug has me thinking: Might it be possible to make a DFHack tool that displays the siege-lay-lines, as it were, on the embark-screen? The AI seems to have no problem besieging historically-generated settlements, even in Adventure Mode, so you'd think they must be built on accessible land.

Actually, that makes me wonder if reclaimed historically generated fortresses are more likely to be besieged.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #43104 on: September 24, 2015, 02:20:41 pm »

Oh, I realize it's possible to seek out Fun situations, but I have not yet passed the skill-threshold past which deliberately making the game harder on myself seems viable.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

HawaiianJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Hawaiian Shirts are amazing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43105 on: September 24, 2015, 04:43:11 pm »

Oh, I realize it's possible to seek out Fun situations, but I have not yet passed the skill-threshold past which deliberately making the game harder on myself seems viable.

Its quite simple;
Here is how you learn how to play the game.

Start with no items or skills assigned in points.
(To survive, deconstruct Wagon, make Carpenter Workshop, make two axes out of the other two pieces, chop down more trees.)
Then proceed to play the game where everything in your fort is either bought from traders or made by you.

Then proceed to do this in a Terrifying Forest filled with FUN, once you actually make a successful incarnation of a fort of this nature, you will be skilled enough to last 50 years ingame, only for a rogue dwarf to set that Tantrum Spiral in motion.
Flaming Baby Catapult

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43106 on: September 24, 2015, 05:05:46 pm »

I don't know, I'm by far not that skilled and Violentlash is in its 63rd year now...now tantrum spiral in sight so far, and even the scariest creatures to be found lurking in the darkest darkness of darknesses have met my ways of defense with little resistance, but lots of confusion and spikey deaths...

Then again, I both play(ed) this fortress quite carefully and pretty much on easy mode - it is not in an evil nor savage biome, there is a lot of metal around, tree en mass, and constant rain (I just recently learned that non-sunny weather doesn't cause dwarves to get annoyed by the sun - it rains 95% of the time in Violentlash...lucky me?! Also seems to be a good way of cleaning dwarves, just make a burrow outside and assign it as a civilian alert). Oh well, probably nothing to brag about overall, I still like the fortress...
I'm about to try out a new way of disposing of invaders though, maybe this will be the final nail for my good old Violentlash.

(Overall the most dangerous/deadly thing for dwarves in Violentlash are minecarts.)

EDIT:
Oh, btw, the human caravan remains still occupy my trade post. Their Yaks had calves. I fear I'll soon be overrun by breeding Yaks...Not really sure what to do about it yet, if I attack them, I'll probably not just get Goblin and Elf raids anymore.

OH! And I got a ROC!
A female one. Now, just to get a male one aaaaaand...

EDIT1:
The weirdest thing just happened...
Haven't used my defense yet, but somehow two of the merchants attacked my marksdwarves I stationed near the trade depot to have them off the towers so they'd not spook the invaders. And then a minecart SOMEHOW smashed into them, even though they were on the highest level of my minecart track...which cause the dwarves to smash into each other ... lots of skidding over the floor, a few hands and legs getting smashed, one liver getting torn apart ... all that fun stuff. I just have absolutly no idea why a minecart would smash into that right there. It makes no sense, especially not when seeing that the wounded marksdwarves were all scattered around on the highest level, I could've understood it if they had been flung down the ramps or something...just...just...what the hell.
Well, really hope none will suffer long term effects or something. First time I really have more than 3 dwarves in my hospital, makes me realize I might want to expand it a bit or something.

Oh, and I just slaughtered all the other merchants. There's a strict law against harming my dwarves in my fortress, it is punishable by full use of military force.

EDIT2:
Defense worked. A snowy scorpion (let's just leave it at that) has just dealt with my goblin invaders and is now heading "home".
I would say this is both the scariest and most dangerous way of defending a fortress. I really don't feel like it is worth it.

EDIT3:
Eh...he didn't head home. He's now sitting in the tunnel. Oh well, I can seal him off and just keep him there for when I need another round of invader disposal.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 06:28:44 pm by SyrusLD »
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43107 on: September 24, 2015, 06:52:07 pm »

After generating a new world in which the only civilization is a single dwarven fortress in the mountains constantly plagued by monsters, I decided to build a new fortress to stand the test of time.

Cobaltbastion, the last and greatest hope for dwarvenkind, was then laid low by the subsequent destruction of reality.

(game crashed during seasonal autosave, partial save became corrupted, trying to load the save now causes a crash every single time)

(and it was going so well...)

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #43108 on: September 24, 2015, 10:41:46 pm »

Its quite simple;
Here is how you learn how to play the game.

Start with no items or skills assigned in points.
(To survive, deconstruct Wagon, make Carpenter Workshop, make two axes out of the other two pieces, chop down more trees.)
Then proceed to play the game where everything in your fort is either bought from traders or made by you.

Then proceed to do this in a Terrifying Forest filled with FUN, once you actually make a successful incarnation of a fort of this nature, you will be skilled enough to last 50 years ingame, only for a rogue dwarf to set that Tantrum Spiral in motion.
I now know how I'm going to play this game from now on

edit: couldn't find a terrifying forest but starting with your only supplies being the wood from the wagon and the 2 animals that pulled it is amazing. c:
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 12:10:30 am by nomoetoe »
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43109 on: September 25, 2015, 03:11:19 pm »

Aaand suddenly a fire-breathing "Brush Titan!" O Glory!

Aww, that's a whole lot of fire. I wonder if my marksdwarves are doing all right...

Welp, that's it. Three meleedorfs and seven marksdorfs burned alive. Who said 40.24 isn't Fun, huh? :V
Pages: 1 ... 2872 2873 [2874] 2875 2876 ... 3842