Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2869 2870 [2871] 2872 2873 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6100385 times)

Artichaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #43050 on: September 19, 2015, 10:47:33 am »

In late summer 261 a forgotten beast came to Silverwinds. Beware its dust !

I send 4 squads of 10 legendary dwarfs, and 32 died. My capitain succed to achieve the beast before dying due to dust. The 8 survivors were sleeping or away from combat.

So i gather the survivors in the fist squad and put 12 recruits to training. By doing that the second and third cavern have no more defenses : The first squad train at the surface, and 1 squad per cavern. My baron decided to haul a crundle in the second cavern. When he saw a giant cave spider, instead of running away with the first squad in the way, he charged the spider. RIP Baron !

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43051 on: September 19, 2015, 11:37:31 am »

My first megaproject is underway, a Ghormenghastian wooden thing, with a gigantic tomb underneath. SO far, everything is seeming very dramatic and dwarven. All good signs: the necromancer and his zombie that ran across the map and killed a deer, the on and off war with the pandas, the artifact panda bone hammer Elderquakes made by the Relicskies kid while her father died to the mightiest panda so far, our strongest soldier that beat a black bear to death with his bear (teehee) hands, the dwarves that drowned in what would have been the mighty entrance hall, all of it.
One wheel short of a wagon

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43052 on: September 19, 2015, 12:49:24 pm »

Nobles are as insane as ever.

Never change, little nobles. Never change.

Also starting a fort for the first time in a while, setting up on one of the crazy tower worlds made with the settings I just posted over the cookbook thread. This one doesn't have 20 towers on a 33x33 world, but it does have 3 nearby, goblins, hematite, marble, and a volcano where the magma level was a good 10 or 15 z below the wagon, so let's see what I can do with this I suppose.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43053 on: September 19, 2015, 01:09:04 pm »

And suddenly dozens of war tigers out of nowhere! (No ambush announcement yet -- those elves sure are crafty!)

This looks very, very promising in terms of Fun :V

EDIT: Well, that was a bit disappointing...

My valiant dorfs slaughtered 30 tigers and 20+ elves in less than a minute with only four casualties, two of them civilians and the other two fresh recruits. That recently constructed rampart provided an excellent chokepoint for close combat, and the elven archers lost their arms and heads before they had the chance to fire.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 01:27:17 pm by SirQuiamus »

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #43054 on: September 19, 2015, 03:46:57 pm »

I really look forward to the next version, so I can actually experience !fun! without going out of my way to find it.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #43055 on: September 19, 2015, 03:53:02 pm »

My baron decided to haul a crundle in the second cavern. When he saw a giant cave spider, instead of running away with the first squad in the way, he charged the spider. RIP Baron !
My fort has a legendary brewer named Mebzuth Windcomets. He and his wife were among the first dwarves to arrive at Bastiongate. He's got a perfect mix of stats and personality that makes him a badass motherfucker. His leg is fucked up due to losing a fight with a cave croc, but the military intervened. He once charged a wild GCS and killed it with a single punch through the brain. After that I gave him the custom title of Brewmeister.

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43056 on: September 19, 2015, 04:59:27 pm »

Violentlash, Year 59.
Elves visited my fortress. They brought their pets.

(yes, for some reason elf corpses look like flux; human corpses look like kobolds.)

...I wish they'd at least bring something useful with them next time. They don't even have anything equal to Goblinite...
I'm thinking about building more towers.

Oh, and more and more dwarves are dying of old age lately. I guess it was inevitable.
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #43057 on: September 19, 2015, 05:20:51 pm »

They killed our guinea pigs.

They killed all our guinea pigs.

I've made a standing militia of two swordsdwarves and one speardwarf, their weapons honed to perfection, to hunt and destroy that menace to dwarfkind and guineapigkind alike.

Those fucking wolverines are going to pay.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43058 on: September 19, 2015, 05:52:01 pm »

They killed our guinea pigs.

They killed all our guinea pigs.

I've made a standing militia of two swordsdwarves and one speardwarf, their weapons honed to perfection, to hunt and destroy that menace to dwarfkind and guineapigkind alike.

Those fucking wolverines are going to pay.

It is terrifying.

This reminds me of the time that I was alerted to the successful abduction of one of my fort's cavies, by some unknown soul. A heinous crime, to be sure, but a bizzare one, all the same.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43059 on: September 19, 2015, 06:34:55 pm »

Aaaand one of my god damn Glassmakers got smashed by a drawbridge.
I have NO idea why she even went under/on that 1x2 bridge, but - oh well, she f... did.
Been very careful with my drawbridges so far, BUT that one time I open my side entrance to the river for the fisherdwarves (I usually have it closed because I don't have any fishers active, but this time I had tons of boars sitting there for some reason...they keep going down the waterfall and some survive), some dwarf decides that standing on the bridge while it closes is a good idea - for absolutly no reason. Well, one god damn dumb dwarf less in my fortress. Some might call it natural selection...

Took me long enough to find out what actually happened and why I couldn't find a body. At least I got 3 more legendary glassmakers left.

Survive siege after siege without loss ... lose dwarf to drawbridge.
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43060 on: September 19, 2015, 06:42:30 pm »

Ok, I'll set up shop, got a neat little upside down volcano, a few towers nearby, goblins all over the map.

This should be-
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
...well shit.

Oh wait, he went back to being expedition lea-
...what the hell, gonna do it a thi-

...fine, guess I'm dealing with a king before the first spring ends, whatever, I can handle this shit.

Naturally this is a fort where I am strictly doing everything with dorfpower, no createitems, no fastdwarf, no autodump, even filled the dorfwash with buckets and a pond designation.

Won't be so bad, just need to finish out his room.
SMOOTH FASTER!

I expect undead and/or goblin buttfuckery to commence any time now.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43061 on: September 19, 2015, 08:03:51 pm »

God fucking damnit. Just lost a heap of progress after I savescummed in a fit of rage after keas stole a whole bunch of weaponry.

I can't believe that bug still hasn't been fixed. Is there a quick way to disable it?
My fort was descending into a super-fun tantrum spiral, too. :(
Now I have to take a break and come back when I have the motivation to play again.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43062 on: September 19, 2015, 10:15:59 pm »

I have never gotten mad at this game, this is the only game which has never left me mad enough to smash shit. I think all the dumb ways I lost forts starting out helped me get over my video game rage problems.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #43063 on: September 20, 2015, 12:14:43 am »

During the early spring of the year 120 (tenth year of my fortress) the world passed into the age of legends.
Shortly after this a large amount of elves decided to ambush my fortress, over a dozen of them, all riding on giant wombats.
They were repelled no casualties on my side.

My ziggurat is finished! It was constructed with marble blocks and is decorated with black bronze statues.
Four rooms were built, and they were filled with gold crafts, quite valuable.
Obviously I wouldn't want anyone stealing them so I built a bunch of weapon traps to prevent any theft.

Suddenly a large siege, over 30 humans have come! and a bunch of horses that they aren't riding...idiots.
Sadly it was defeated without any resistance. There was even one soldier that went far ahead and the only problem he had was getting stunned!
At this point I'm just hoping for something to go wrong. I might just dig into HFS just to screw myself over.

It isn't really surprising since I made it so the plump helmet men value power over anything else but,
I discovered nearly all of my people in my fortress dream of ruling the world, it really amuses me.

Something else that amuses me is that my champion needs alcohol to get through the working day,
I didn't know creatures that aren't alcohol dependent could need such a thing.

There seems to be lots of weregoats in the world, 5 or so have come to my fortress over the years.
The latest one was able to kill 1 or 2 civilians. :I About time someone was able to kill some people.

In the early spring of 121 the elves attacked with their biggest ambush yet.
Still no casualties. Hopefully the humans efforts at killing my army is more effective,
or maybe the walrus men could finally attack, their in range of me. Maybe they just give no fucks about me.

Then the humans come again with another siege, I think it was a bit smaller of a siege.
They died, no casualties, again. :c

I have found the adamantine. I'm really tempted to open it up, should I?
Might not do it just yet, so tempting though.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43064 on: September 20, 2015, 12:33:25 am »

Two more victims. A second founder drained in his bed, and a fruit harvest killed in the dormitory. Kadol surviving repeated hammerings (thanks in part ot her armor, and even that hasn't prevent the mangling of her arms and legs or the shattering of her spine,) and the fact i caught her walking away from the latest victim confirms it.

As she is now too crippled to move or fight and in my dining hall, I have no clue what to do with her except hope she eventually goes insane.

-

EDIT: On second thought, let's make humans playable, see if that encourages anything.
Pages: 1 ... 2869 2870 [2871] 2872 2873 ... 3842