Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2868 2869 [2870] 2871 2872 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6100592 times)

UberNube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #43035 on: September 17, 2015, 08:21:01 pm »

My Giant Wolverine breeding program is going well and my 30-strong military (almost all the adult dwarves) is a force to be reckoned with. Unfortunately the regular undead sieges seem to have stopped coming since I captured a necromancer. He must have been the only necromancer in the tower, which is annoying because they were the only serious threat on the surface of this world. I've yet to see any sign of goblins, and the occasional kobold thieves get slaughtered as soon as they're detected.

On the bright side, I can use the necromancer to manufacture undead. I might try a small-scale experiment of dropping a few reanimated dog corpses into the caverns to deal with a couple of potentially syndrome-carrying FBs. I have a bunch of captive bugbats and hungry heads too, so undead versions of those might be effective weapons.
This guy gets it, the problem with the child torture dungeon is that they weren't set on fire first.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43036 on: September 17, 2015, 10:23:48 pm »

Fellow founder Medtob has been found drained of blood. A creature of the night stalks our halls. Vengeance will be swift! A fisherdwarf assumes the role of sherriff to prevent possible bedlam and investigate murder.

Lamrimtar will endure until vengeance may be dispensed for the murder done on Medtob.

~ Thikut Runstandard's Journal.

EDIT

I have suspicions. Warrior Kadol has not complained of not having a bed or not having drink, nor food. Warrior Kadol has not complained of lack of snooze and professes no belief in gods.

I do not wish to suspect Warrior Kadol. He arrived proficient in fighting with shield and fist and professed desire to protect Lamrimtar alongside fellow warriors. Proficient fights with fist and shield are uncommon and Shem welcomed a partner for unarmed spars. He speaks for Kadol as shield-brother.

The Sheriff suspects as well for reasons of sameness. Sheriff has assumed duty of hammerer. Shem has complained he has not seen Kadol leave the barracks and could not have done murder on Medtob to slake a bloodthrist.

Melbil decrees: Warrior Kadol will be struck ten times five with hammer. Militia Captain Ast has donated hammer as we lack good hammer metal. If Kadol survives, then Warrior kadol is innocent and may resume duty as potter and warrior of the fist.

Lamrimtar will have revenge.

-

Kadol survives hammerings. No dwarf skull can endure so many strikes without aid. Kadol must die. Melbil decrees: Kadol will face first invaders unaided. Death is penance for murder.

~ Thikut Runstandard's Journal

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #43037 on: September 18, 2015, 01:52:58 am »

the fortress is now a duchy which of course came with an increase in room value needs for the nobles...what a pain.
Also, I finally got the ambush I so greatly desired. 2 groups of elves, only one got away, no casualties on my side. Somehow I doubt it'll be that easy with the walrus men and the humans though.

To celebrate our great victory over the elves the butcher has begun slicing up their corpses and they will soon be made into delicious meals and some nice leather, sadly a few began to rot before they were able to be butchered.
I also had a few deaths to ghosts. one of which was a duchess...I'm ok with this. one less mandate to deal with.

I decided to give the home of the dead duchess to one of the first 7 he was severely injured and permanently crippled after a ghost attack, and he is no longer able to do his job as a miner. I forgot who most of the other 7 were, but at least he'll get to enjoy a life of luxury, poor guy, his upper and lower body, his right hand and both of his feet are permanently injured, cant even stand not even with a crutch. I decided to relieve him all of forms of work. :c He's done too much for this fortress just to spend the rest of his life crawling around hauling stuff.

Suddenly as I'm writing this, a cyclops! can my soldiers deal with this terrible threat?! Probably not!...one swordsman dealt with the cyclops within moments, and he was unharmed.
Alright then it seems my soldiers are more competent then I thought they were, which is nice. Tonight, we feast on cyclops!!
I got 328 cyclops meat out of that attack. what a glorious day. c:
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43038 on: September 18, 2015, 09:51:50 am »

Argh! Why does every werebeast attack end in a loyalty cascade?!?

This has happened several times already: I properly quarantine the bitten dwarves in the hospital and send the militia to kill the transformed ones --> two elite soldiers dead, and not because of the wimpy werebuggers!

Next time I'm gonna use magma.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #43039 on: September 18, 2015, 04:14:46 pm »

Just don't kill them. Once your own dwarves are infected, all you need to do is build them a nice, double-drawbridge-sealed barracks, conscript them, and you have an army of immortal, regenerating supersoldiers who never have to eat, drink, or sleep.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43040 on: September 18, 2015, 04:18:16 pm »

The kill order isn't cleared when the werebeasts transform back into fort members. It can be cancelled if noticed in time, but I don't know if it would work should the transformation occur in the middle of a fight.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43041 on: September 18, 2015, 09:03:54 pm »

That moment when an army of goblins arrive and you actually have a decent military, you're listening to heavy metal, and most of your dwarves become these whirling fucking dervishes of death and destruction, decapitating goblins left and right, entering martial trances and causing an absolute slaughter even as a few off the less-skilled warriors fall to the siege.

I don't know, but this is the most badass DF moment I have had in ages. I am grinning ear-to-ear right now.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43042 on: September 18, 2015, 09:38:29 pm »

Hmm... Dorfs going into battle to the sound of the great Voices from beyond... I approve of this.
-
Kadol is definitely the vampire for sure now, as since her beating and jailing, no further murders have happened.I'm at a loss for what to do with her, as I don't want an undead bookkeeper or manager, locking her up would be wasteful without a vampire to spar with (as would be killing her outright,) and leaving her free could potentially cost us another legendary worker or she may pt to snack on a squadmate, and with v40 being in the er... Shape, it's in with sieges, it's unlikely she'll have proper armed foes to die honorably against any time soon, even with a war in progress, probably with a severely mangled goblin civ.

Quite a conundrum. There was also a wooden bed made in a mood, but it wasn't really that impressive (being made of bog standard wood and some silk with no fancy imagery or anything.)

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43043 on: September 18, 2015, 10:07:52 pm »

There was also a wooden bed made in a mood, but it wasn't really that impressive (being made of bog standard wood and some silk with no fancy imagery or anything.)

Aye, but ye see Ov'rseer, this 'ere bed has a new dwarv'n invention known as a "blanket"!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43044 on: September 18, 2015, 10:15:37 pm »

There was also a wooden bed made in a mood, but it wasn't really that impressive (being made of bog standard wood and some silk with no fancy imagery or anything.)

Aye, but ye see Ov'rseer, this 'ere bed has a new dwarv'n invention known as a "blanket"!

If by "blanket" you mean "spikes" then yes, it does have a blanket.

Also, the elves brought a... Well, a fish.

I uh... Well... I... Hmm. Kind of at a loss for words, because this has literally never happened before, at least to me.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #43045 on: September 18, 2015, 10:34:22 pm »

Had my first siege for this fortress, it went rather well the only injury was a fractured head for the commander of the hammer squad.
Shortly after the humans defeat a cyclops arrived, it to was quickly killed. I do hope someone or something comes to provide a significant challenge. kinda sad having no real threat to face. I'm still very worried about a walrus men attack, their twice the size of a dwarf have access to the same metal and tools that dwarves have and they can go into martial trances.

Anyway, I decided to mass produce charcoal and copper bars, I also have plenty of silver and gold, I shall make some black bronze, I like its color. c:

I can into hives, got my first ever successful hive setup, due its success I decided to expand and add more hives to my collection, should be interesting. Can I weaponize the bees? Yes? No? I hope so.
Another artifact was made! A human bone spear, not particularly useful but amusing.
This fortress seems to have lots of ghost problems, maybe its some problem with plump helmet man corpses? If so I'll have to fix that in later times...eventually. I might memorialize a few wagons just for the fun of it. c:

As usual the outpost liason and the caravan came at fall, but for some reason after getting close to the fortress the wagons turned around and quickly left, it looked like my inhabitants were chasing them away...ok then? As usual a site was lost to a civilization known as the domination nation, a human nation, if this continues this fortress may end up being the last of this plump helmet man civilization.

Since I made plump helmet men hate nature I decided to build large structures and cover the ground with rock blocks, not all of it of course, I still need wood for my charcoal production.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Skribbblie

• Bay Watcher
  • Dlaglunkis slugutalbis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43046 on: September 19, 2015, 01:37:45 am »

Can I weaponize the bees? Yes? No? I hope so.
Not to my knowledge, sadly. Though I once tried to mod gigantic bees into the game with hopes that every coincidental bee sting could maim and amputate limbs.

Game crashed when I tried to implement it :< But I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have worked anyway.
I'm not really sure that maiming someone and forcing them to live with a crippling disability for your amusement can really be considered "merciful." Just sayin'.
Dwarven mercy.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43047 on: September 19, 2015, 09:15:52 am »

Can I weaponize the bees? Yes? No? I hope so.
Not to my knowledge, sadly. Though I once tried to mod gigantic bees into the game with hopes that every coincidental bee sting could maim and amputate limbs.

Game crashed when I tried to implement it :< But I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have worked anyway.

What a bug that must of been.

Poor joke, I know.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43048 on: September 19, 2015, 09:32:25 am »

Nobles are as insane as ever.

Never change, little nobles. Never change.

TheBrisbyMouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43049 on: September 19, 2015, 10:36:55 am »

Accidently gave the "Dwarved Ignore Food" order. Took me 2 in-game years to figure out why my dwarves were letting food rot everywhere.

Also, would like confirmation of some science I did:

Ballista arrows with masterwork heads seem to travel in perfectly straight lines, regardless of siege operator skill, ballista quality, etc.
Pages: 1 ... 2868 2869 [2870] 2871 2872 ... 3842