Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2862 2863 [2864] 2865 2866 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6100781 times)

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #42945 on: September 11, 2015, 02:31:42 am »

Outpost Gildspark, 201 Sandstone 8-10: 18 beards

The caravan from the Mountainhome arrived nearly a month ago. I made a few meals with the cheese from the milk I brought on embark, traded for more food, and promptly bought out all of their non-plump helmet food. Greedy bastards insisted on a 100% profit margin on every trade, but I still profited. Prepared meals are fucking overpowered and I love it.

Also, I have my mason churning out rock blocks to build an outer wall. I think I need at least a 1-high plus an overhang, if I'm remembering correctly. Goddamn climbers.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42946 on: September 11, 2015, 07:17:57 am »

Slightly disappointed in myself for letting Honourguard's lone captured Giant Cave Spider that I lost two brave Web Collectors to, starve to death in its cage before I could tame it.

Eh? GCSs don't graze (and therefore eat) unless you mod them. Also untamed animals--even grazers--don't actually eat. It may have died from previously-inflicted wounds or old age, though.

Time in my fortress has slowed down quite a bit, thanks to pathing. Alas, it won't get any better until construction dwarves stop having to path across the hilltop to the ramparts of my increasingly absurdly tall outer wall, but oh well.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42947 on: September 11, 2015, 08:46:30 am »

Slightly disappointed in myself for letting Honourguard's lone captured Giant Cave Spider that I lost two brave Web Collectors to, starve to death in its cage before I could tame it.

Eh? GCSs don't graze (and therefore eat) unless you mod them. Also untamed animals--even grazers--don't actually eat. It may have died from previously-inflicted wounds or old age, though.

Hmm, then it was likely age, because my Web Collectors did fuck-all to it

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42948 on: September 11, 2015, 09:46:36 am »

0m 0s - the dwarves stop the wagon and start building the fortress.
0m 8s - a sasquatch walks up to the dwarves.
0m 15s - Your settlement has crumbled to its end!
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...
"Rock needs a nerf! Paper is just fine, IMO." - The Scissors.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42949 on: September 11, 2015, 08:16:03 pm »

Outpost Gildspark, 202 Granite 19 - Felsite 7: 18 39 beards, 23 FPS

202-01-19: The elves came. We stole what we wanted from them. Unfortunately, they didn't bring any cloth :( I might have actually traded with them except all my prepared meals were in barrels. Oh no, I'll actually have to make a farm for plant fibers, the horror.

202-02-22: I've designated the beginnings of this fort's Happy Fun Death Pit using the marker option. Which, BTW, is very useful. Huzzah! Ooooooh, I could use it to designate the whole damn shaft and change from marker to standard one level at a time... (can you tell I'm catching up from an old version?)

202-02-27: Some migrants have arrived. Welp, I really need to make beds and chairs and tables now. And expect my first mood. And probably my first sproglings.

202-02-28: There is a family of historical migrants that's been coming in pieces since the first migrant wave. I might need to go through and retroactively make them all part of their mother's line... hrmm...

202-03-02: 21 beards later... I only have one child. THANKFULLY.

202-03-04: Dealing with the historical migrants' surnames now. There are two groups, according to their mothers; they don't share a maternal grandmother, thankfully...........

SMACK ME SILLY THEY'RE ALL ONE FAMILY, I DIDN'T CHECK IF ONE'S MATERNAL GRANDMOTHER WAS ANOTHER'S MOTHER. WELL THEN.

Spoiler: Legends mode detour (click to show/hide)

202-03-05: Finally finished the renaming and the sorting of my spreadsheet; now I can get back to the actual goddamn fort.

... I'm regretting embarking on a 3x3. My laptop may be better than my desktop, but I don't think it's actually that good. Ah well.

202-03-07: ... 23 FPS. Felsite of the second year. WELP. I'm going to go to bed, post this tomorrow (today for you lot reading it), and then find another embark in the same world after I retire Gildspark. Dwarves can migrate out of retired forts just like other sites not under the player's control, right?

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

GiantCaveMushroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Born Pessimist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42950 on: September 11, 2015, 09:18:39 pm »

The goblins decide to send a larger sieging force. They bring elf recruits.

The elven diplomat arrived at the same time as the goblin siege. The elven diplomat left the area unscathed and uncaring of the siege.

I suspect collaboration between the elves and the goblins.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42951 on: September 11, 2015, 09:42:21 pm »

So yeah, for the first time in this game I'm going to jump off the Dystopia cliff and make a fort worthy of Dwarves. I've decided that the non-elected nobles will all have to be survivors of battles, or, more likely, survivors of the medical training program. I've already had two injured dwarves from that system. One broke an arm. The other his lower spine. He can't walk anymore. Unless I get a quadriplegic with various other parts rotting off from some kind of FB syndrome, I think I have my Duke.

Urist McLaptop

• Bay Watcher
  • dwarven child care=!!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42952 on: September 11, 2015, 09:43:17 pm »

So I start in a normal biom. I'm going good, ran low a bit on the drink at one point but I made a still. My first interesting thing that happened is my FISHCLEANER got possessed. He made some crappy yak bone animal trap engraved with beans, I just left it at the makeshift craft dwarf area I made real quick (later converted to a book keepers office) but lo and behold, a were mongoose appears. He kills one dwarf and another one as he runs toward the burrow I set up inside the fortress. While everybody is huddling in the corner of the fort, I had set the artifact trap in front of a door I locked, he bled to death. Apparently these heroes did enough damage to him. I saw that a fisher dwarf was hurt but I made a huge mistake by ignoring that. Right in the middle of my fort, he turns and goes berserk. I draft everyone and even the children get in on the action. Many of them are injured and I have learned my lesson. I halt the tombs I'm building above and make a long building. I go over each dwarf and each one with injuries I Mark QUARANTINE. I lock them inside and I wait for them to die. Several children and founding dwarves will die in that building. Altogether the werebeast will claim ten of my 32 dwarves. I make tombs for the fallen heroes, and eventually for the quarantined. I will dump the body of the human that brought me this plague into a ditch so that all may gaze upon his corpse. The dead will be honored, a workshop will be engraved in their memory, and the fortress will move on.
Legend tells of a fort besieged by a dragon. When 79 brave recruits fell to its breath, the last dwarf of the fort took up arms. He sprung from his sickbed and claimed an adamant one sword before he bulrushes the dragon. A clean swipe severs the head. But the dragon claws him in the lower body and burns him alive. As he melts into a pile of booze and fat, I rename him Ronnie James Dio and change his profession to dragonslayer. He will forever be immortalized and worshipped as a dragonslayer God.

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42953 on: September 11, 2015, 10:23:15 pm »

Note to self: allow the goblinite to come within the walking distance of the main entrance before killing it, unless you want your haulers to spend the next 2 months hauling troll socks halfway across the map under the burning sun (and filling your moat with vomit)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42954 on: September 11, 2015, 10:39:30 pm »

So I start in a normal biom. I'm going good, ran low a bit on the drink at one point but I made a still. My first interesting thing that happened is my FISHCLEANER got possessed. He made some crappy yak bone animal trap engraved with beans, I just left it at the makeshift craft dwarf area I made real quick (later converted to a book keepers office) but lo and behold, a were mongoose appears. He kills one dwarf and another one as he runs toward the burrow I set up inside the fortress. While everybody is huddling in the corner of the fort, I had set the artifact trap in front of a door I locked, he bled to death. Apparently these heroes did enough damage to him. I saw that a fisher dwarf was hurt but I made a huge mistake by ignoring that. Right in the middle of my fort, he turns and goes berserk. I draft everyone and even the children get in on the action. Many of them are injured and I have learned my lesson. I halt the tombs I'm building above and make a long building. I go over each dwarf and each one with injuries I Mark QUARANTINE. I lock them inside and I wait for them to die. Several children and founding dwarves will die in that building. Altogether the werebeast will claim ten of my 32 dwarves. I make tombs for the fallen heroes, and eventually for the quarantined. I will dump the body of the human that brought me this plague into a ditch so that all may gaze upon his corpse. The dead will be honored, a workshop will be engraved in their memory, and the fortress will move on.
*sniffle*, that was beautiful :'(

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42955 on: September 11, 2015, 11:09:03 pm »

Horrible, horrible dystopia. Everything happened all at once. First, I had my first accidental kill in my medical training trap. Then the dwarf caravan left. With some bracelets the mayor had prohibited the export of. When we have a full justice system with fewer chains than "offenders." Six dead, several more in the hospital. And we got migrants.

This is so much Fun I'm less laughing than staring speechless. And I'm nowhere near finished since I have 80 people left alive.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42956 on: September 12, 2015, 03:44:09 am »

Outpost Dentbridge, 202 Felsite 21 - 203 Limestone 4: 7 20 41 49 beards

202-03-21: I re-embarked right next door to Gildspark. The land's nice! Sand, and clay, and trees, and no aquifer... (An aquifer in one corner would have been fine, but I couldn't arrange for one. So I'll survive with just a brook for my power needs.)

It'll be interesting to see how long it'll take before I get migrants from Gildspark. I'll be able to tell who they are because they'll already have nicknames.

Spoiler: Summer 202 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Autumn 202 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Winter 202 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Spring 203 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Summer 203 (click to show/hide)

203-07-04:

what the fucking hell

So. That just happened.

Stocks screen:

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42957 on: September 12, 2015, 04:19:41 am »

I'm sending my recruits from recent migrant wave to fight troll in a honorable duel. So far none has proven their worth and troll keeps running around with breastplate in hand.

By the way, why are corpses stockpiled and not put in coffins? Is this a new bug?
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42958 on: September 12, 2015, 08:16:42 am »

Just made a new fort, Traillanced. My civ is called: the Messianic Hammers. It's in a sinister biome, with all races and a tower for neighbours. Also, slightly smaller embark so less lag, and I am resolved to atom smash stuff, which I have never done before. This is making me quite happy, but does anyone know what a fort named "Traillanced" should be themed after?
One wheel short of a wagon

Urist McLaptop

• Bay Watcher
  • dwarven child care=!!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42959 on: September 12, 2015, 08:18:53 am »

Just made a new fort, Traillanced. My civ is called: the Messianic Hammers. It's in a sinister biome, with all races and a tower for neighbours. Also, slightly smaller embark so less lag, and I am resolved to atom smash stuff, which I have never done before. This is making me quite happy, but does anyone know what a fort named "Traillanced" should be themed after?

Spears and spike traps. Cover everything in spike traps. If their is an open tile, spike traps, and dwarves use only spears.
Legend tells of a fort besieged by a dragon. When 79 brave recruits fell to its breath, the last dwarf of the fort took up arms. He sprung from his sickbed and claimed an adamant one sword before he bulrushes the dragon. A clean swipe severs the head. But the dragon claws him in the lower body and burns him alive. As he melts into a pile of booze and fat, I rename him Ronnie James Dio and change his profession to dragonslayer. He will forever be immortalized and worshipped as a dragonslayer God.
Pages: 1 ... 2862 2863 [2864] 2865 2866 ... 3842