Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2858 2859 [2860] 2861 2862 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6101395 times)

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #42885 on: September 02, 2015, 12:43:59 am »

I just noticed my beastmaster animal trainer is 152 years old. This is a bit of a problem. If she dies, my Roc and wild boar domestication program dies with her.

I might have to resort to some unsavory measures... Now where did I put that vampire...

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42886 on: September 02, 2015, 02:33:18 am »

Ugh, goddamn, haven't played in a while. Turns out dwarves still happily channel the floor out from under their feet in digging projects.
Going through and designating bit-by-bit seems like way too much work, so I'm going through a lot of miners. ::)
This project would take long enough without this issue. Bah.
Use the priority levels to guide them into channeling certain areas before others.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42887 on: September 02, 2015, 04:28:00 am »

Upramp wherever possible for mass z-level removal.

GiantCaveMushroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Born Pessimist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42888 on: September 02, 2015, 05:40:46 am »

For the first time since I started playing, I breached into the cavern layer below the first one (Though I missed the first one). The location of my mineshaft happens to be right on top of a magma pipe.

Sadly I still can't find iron or cassiterite despite digging deeper than ever, so the magma pipe probably won't find much use unless I want to make Brass statues or something. Is there something I can do with all this magma?

Inevitability

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42889 on: September 02, 2015, 05:52:37 am »

Oh sure, there's magma forges, magma landmines, magma trenches, magma shotguns and flooding the world with magma. Also waste disposal. But mostly wonderfully dwarfy ways to turn the stinking hippie elf tree huggers into !!xstinking hippie elf tree hugger corpsesx!!

GiantCaveMushroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Born Pessimist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42890 on: September 02, 2015, 06:09:00 am »

Speaking about elves, the specific elves I am currently trading with is part of an elven civilization which completely annihilated a different dwarven civilization. I feel that sweet !!revenge!! is in order, but I only have five motley soldiers and they only have bronze equipment at best. Should I hold off in offending the elves until I have a functioning army and actual defenses?

qorthos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42891 on: September 02, 2015, 09:43:32 am »

For the first time since I started playing, I breached into the cavern layer below the first one (Though I missed the first one). The location of my mineshaft happens to be right on top of a magma pipe.

Sadly I still can't find iron or cassiterite despite digging deeper than ever, so the magma pipe probably won't find much use unless I want to make Brass statues or something. Is there something I can do with all this magma?

Large scale glass and/or clay industries!

I like to decorate my fortress with clay statues.  A glassmaker can make green glass gems for your jewelers to practice with.  It's a good value add for your whole fortress without needing too many laborers.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #42892 on: September 02, 2015, 10:44:34 am »

Just finished up my first year in Joyeous Wilds, where the pack of trogs sat on the cage traps and let my dwarves change them (to be instantly caught when the job completed) and giant storkes  went into our tunnel to the caverns.  A silly place, apparently, however we lost all our dogs to giant ticks.

Found C1 magma, gonna probs build right on top of the magma and screw channeling.  More fun when the foundry is exposed to the elements.

We also have oddles of cassarite and copper and silver, but no iron ore.  We'll be importing iron/steel and making our arms of bronze, it seems >.<
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 10:46:20 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42893 on: September 02, 2015, 11:57:46 am »

Started a new embark in Joyous Wilds, next door to a dark fortress.  Hope springs eternal.  Big magnetite deposits, scorching biome.  Finally found marble somewhere around the third cavern, and we have trees, so steel is a go.  Other metals so far are native copper and galena (always galena... feh.)

Spent the first year eating hunted giant snails (thinking of you, Snustok... and you, Shedim).  Werechameleon showed up only to have the doors locked in his face.  He killed a rabbit, turned into a goblin again and fled.  Knew I should have put those cage traps out sooner.  Currently prospecting for magma because running a large metals industry on purely charcoal is a challenge.  If I had coal, I could stay up top but as it is... magma sea, ho!
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42894 on: September 03, 2015, 12:53:57 am »

Upramp wherever possible for mass z-level removal.
Oh man, thanks! That seems to work quite well.

In other news, why do all the spirits that keep possessing my dwarves have to demand leather?
I don't have any more critters to butcher, and the ones I already killed would have been more useful for milk/wool. :'(
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42895 on: September 03, 2015, 08:28:26 am »

Fort was immune to minotaurs, cyclops, and giants.  Not legendary dragons.  Midgets had shields but apparently didn't know how to use them.  Farewell, Chaoswinds... your fall was at least legendary.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42896 on: September 03, 2015, 08:39:03 am »

Speaking about elves, the specific elves I am currently trading with is part of an elven civilization which completely annihilated a different dwarven civilization. I feel that sweet !!revenge!! is in order, but I only have five motley soldiers and they only have bronze equipment at best. Should I hold off in offending the elves until I have a functioning army and actual defenses?
So far as armor goes, Bronze is near equivalent to Iron.  Throw on a Copper Mail Shirt under a full suit of Bronze, and your militia has decent protection.  As for weaponry, Bronze can make a decent bashing tool, but if you have any Silver, that would be the way to go for Maces & Warhammers.  I'm afraid you are out of luck for bladed weapons until you either trade for some iron/steel or strike candy.  Oh, and don't forget your Crossbows.  Every militia should have a squad of Marksdwarves.

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #42897 on: September 03, 2015, 03:01:26 pm »

I have started a new fort with some nearby goblin neighbors, elves, and humans.  The site is a volcano with some sand, but no clay.  (It always seems to be mutually exclusive for me).  Checking my site, I realize one other issue I was going to have to worry about:  The lack of flux for steel making.  I could confirm hematite, but not bituminous coal or flux.  (I'm sure I have no flux on site regrettably, but I kinda was craving magma forges enough to give up flux.)

As of now, I'm just digging out a bit of the fort like a reasonable dwarf would.  Hopefully, I don't strike the caves too early.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42898 on: September 03, 2015, 04:35:42 pm »

So far as armor goes, Bronze is near equivalent to Iron.  Throw on a Copper Mail Shirt under a full suit of Bronze, and your militia has decent protection.  As for weaponry, Bronze can make a decent bashing tool, but if you have any Silver, that would be the way to go for Maces & Warhammers.  I'm afraid you are out of luck for bladed weapons until you either trade for some iron/steel or strike candy.  Oh, and don't forget your Crossbows.  Every militia should have a squad of Marksdwarves.

Actually, bronze is fine for bladed weaponry, too, until you can get a steel industry up and running, and you're much better off with a bronze mail shirt than copper--bronze is better than copper in every way.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42899 on: September 03, 2015, 05:13:16 pm »

My awesome fortress, which I'd hoped would have a great, long life, has developed a reliable segfault. Load game, unpause, wait two seconds, crash. HFS I could've handled. Death by goblin raid or necromantic ambush, I could've handled. Even FPS death, I could've handled. But not this way.

Farewell, Lanterngroove. I'll miss you.
Pages: 1 ... 2858 2859 [2860] 2861 2862 ... 3842