Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2857 2858 [2859] 2860 2861 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6101376 times)

GiantCaveMushroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Born Pessimist
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #42870 on: August 29, 2015, 09:52:19 pm »

Got back to playing Fortress mode after a long break from this game.

Within the first month, the farmer ordered to cut the surrounding trees heavily injured a cat and got herself killed by falling logs.

Apparently my first enemy in Spearwater will be trees. I embarked next to a forest. Armok, Zon, and Dostob help me.

Whodunnit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42871 on: August 30, 2015, 02:32:09 am »

So dorfs can apparently secede from their parent civ.

When I started playing this world, there was only the one big dwarven empire. After I abandoned my big project (because it was finished, natch) there was suddenly another dwarven entity (called the Guilds of Death, no less). By the time I noticed, it already had a couple of barons. When I talked to some of my former dorfs in adventure mode they said they had formed the Guilds of Death due to "the mismanagement" of my fort.

I did what any self-respecting DF-player would do; hunted down a vampire, drank its blood, retired. Started a fort called "Bloodtowers", retired it. Walked my dorfpire to the new fort and retired there. By the time the first migrants showed up, my starting seven where all vampirified and the Guilds of Death have a king worthy of its civ's name!

(They go through the migrants pretty fast though, there's only two or three dwarves left from the first two migrant waves. Let's hope the third brings a lot of tasty, bearded, blood bags. ;D)

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42872 on: August 30, 2015, 05:16:52 am »

I was putting the last sieges trolls in a single cage when - as keeps happening often - they somehow broke free on the way there. At the same time I had the caravans of the two human civs in my trade depot, which is about in sight range of the prioner cage storage.

I have no idea what happened, but suddenly, when my military took care of the free troll (and the other trolls getting free every time my dwarf tried to put them in the other cage), a big slaughter happened around the trade depot ... I wasn't looking, but somehow my dwarves slaughtered one of the caravans for no apparent reason! Really confused as to what happened here. Can Marksdwarves accidently hit people in their bolts flight path in fortress mode?! It's hard to tell but it might all have started with a marksdwarf hitting one of the humans with a bolt. He was probably just going by to his station on a tower...
Obviously the caravan didn't stand a chance against my elite military.

Oh well. Wonder what the consequences of that slaughter will be, except the obvious requirements for clean up...the other caravan ran away, probably got scared by the corpses.
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42873 on: August 30, 2015, 07:25:03 am »

Sooo... zombies happened.

http://i.imgur.com/1ZQiMw7.png

I did a thing.

http://i.imgur.com/InQYeSw.png

Then the zombies un-happened.

http://i.imgur.com/B5C5s1K.png

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42874 on: August 30, 2015, 08:04:02 am »

Sooo... zombies happened.

http://i.imgur.com/1ZQiMw7.png

I did a thing.

http://i.imgur.com/InQYeSw.png

Then the zombies un-happened.

http://i.imgur.com/B5C5s1K.png
lulz :)  Do zombies count as sentient?  To that end, can you designate them as a Zoo?

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42875 on: August 30, 2015, 08:41:16 am »

Turns out that the undead are a lot tougher than goblins.

I mean, I knew this from reading the forums, but I underestimated how quickly they would dispatch my military.

Survivors:
  • Three undead, trapped in the fort by the drawbridge that was supposed to trap them outside of it
  • One vampire, saved by being walled off from everyone
  • Two necromancers, in cage traps
  • Three dozen undead, in cage traps

Plus, lots of scattered gore (the remnants of former citizens, pets, and undead).

But, when the next bunch of immigrants arrives, I can just have them start afresh, since the surviving undead are trapped.

Except... for the ghosts of five dozen umemorialized citizens. That could be a problem. Note to self: Next time I need to lock a vampire up, make sure to lock a bunch of boulders up with him, in case of emergancy.

Edited to add:
Dear Urist McVampire: Yes, prohibiting the export of warhammers is the solution! That will solve all our problems!
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42876 on: August 30, 2015, 11:04:12 am »

Turns out that the undead are a lot tougher than goblins.

Understatement of the year.  Yes.  In large numbers the only hope is cage traps... assuming they don't get the pathing bug which appears randomly and still isn't fixed.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42877 on: August 30, 2015, 05:26:03 pm »

Just encountered something I've never seen before.  (Yes I realize that happens like every day in DF, but still).  After hitting semi-molten rock, I dug around a bit until I uncovered the Magma Sea.  Turns out, the Magma actually forms a caldera which extends directly into the bottom of the third Cavern layer! :o

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I am seriously tempted to begin mass-transporting my operations around this beauty, but I'm on Winter of the second year with only a novice squad of 8 Marksdwarves at my disposal.  Only have a few promising Smiths right now, so I'm hesitant to form a melee squad using the junk Copper & Silver bashing weapons I've had them churning out.  Still, I might have to just to ward of the first siege, which I'm fairly confident is coming this year.

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42878 on: August 30, 2015, 06:54:08 pm »

Violentlash's 56 war-trained Jabberers have proven themselves to be a good method for invader disposal.
Captured around 150 goblins, trolls, humans and elves, stripped them, put them into one cage, put that cage in a seal-able room, put all my Jabberers in the room, sealed it, ... hit the lever!

First victim of the battle were my FPS - they died instanly and utterly. 0 FPS. Such fun and joy!

I was sure I'd lose a few of my precious giant bird-like monsters, considering that they got afraid for a moment at the beginning. But as the slaughter slowly continued, my army of Jabberers didn't just turn out victorious, but also without any losses! And thanks to "dwarfvet" I was also able to take care of the ones that got hurt, though only one had more serious injuries. But man, all those body parts...the clean up took quite a while. Love that a few of my little pets now got names though, always gives them that little something.

Besides this I also had a visitor, but...SPOILERS!
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42879 on: August 31, 2015, 08:46:09 am »

Volcano: check
Wood: check
Hematite: check
Flux: ...

Flux: ...

Flux?

Fail.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #42880 on: August 31, 2015, 01:46:31 pm »

Happens all the time in Bastiongate. I usually hack them into a cavern.

boddha

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #42881 on: September 01, 2015, 01:04:19 pm »

We just became a barony. We've traded extravagant amounts of goods, been around for a couple years, but the biggest problem we've had has been a few kobold thieves. This is no fun at all.
I've got over 100 dwarves and we've generated lots of dwarfbucks (a very gem/metal heavy embark and lots of nice stone crafts) but not so much as a single goblin raiding party. I'd have expected a night creature or beast or something. I don't think I embarked on a inaccessible site: especially since I've had dwarven and elven traders show up.

I thought we got a raid within the first year on every embark in DF2014, but it's been a while since I played. Am I missing something?

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42882 on: September 01, 2015, 01:37:38 pm »

I thought we got a raid within the first year on every embark in DF2014, but it's been a while since I played. Am I missing something?

DF2014 broke the raiding mechanic.  Since armies now have to go overland, and there was a bug (possibly fixed, possibly not) that armies/entities wouldn't pass over rivers, unless you embark practically inside a Dark Fortress, goblins are sporadic and few.

Of course, Towers are always good sources of !!FUN!!... especially considering that undead are still extremely OP.

EuphoriaToRegret

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
    • My Newgrounds Art
« Reply #42883 on: September 01, 2015, 09:56:14 pm »

Oh hey, A forgotten beast.

It's a quadruped beast made of water... with a single horn... that has vapors... alright...

It's named Umonoxut and has a title of... wait.. what...

The... Great shaft?
Yeah... alright.

Caught in it's... extract...

By Urist's beard...
That isn't a horn... is it?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42884 on: September 01, 2015, 10:23:09 pm »

Ugh, goddamn, haven't played in a while. Turns out dwarves still happily channel the floor out from under their feet in digging projects.
Going through and designating bit-by-bit seems like way too much work, so I'm going through a lot of miners. ::)
This project would take long enough without this issue. Bah.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 2857 2858 [2859] 2860 2861 ... 3842