Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2852 2853 [2854] 2855 2856 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6101849 times)

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #42795 on: August 21, 2015, 10:50:18 am »

Stink, I forgot to put my dogs back outside after the last attack and a weresquirrel made it all the way to my central staircase before being spotted. My 2-man starter military was not far away, but still he bit 5 people. He also killed my militia commander by throwing him down 40 Z-levels of stairs. I'd never seen the "X slams into an obstacle and blows apart" report before. I thought it must be a weresquirrel on PCP or something, until I found the corpse and figured out what had happened. Fighting on stairs = not cool.

Of course, I wonder if my 13 year-old lieutenant might have something to do with the whole incident, considering "he dreams of ruling the world." Being made militia commander at 13 puts him on the right trajectory.

The other bad news is that my Chief Medical Dwarf who is also my mayor and the only one with any medical skills in the whole fort was one of the most seriously wounded.

This is shaping up to be a very interesting fort.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #42796 on: August 21, 2015, 11:46:51 am »

New fort in a new world.

I love it already.
I called my civ "The Union of Beer" :)

"Basementdwellers"
Who knew that there was a World of Warcraft civilization in Dwarf Fortress.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #42797 on: August 21, 2015, 12:19:32 pm »

After nearly three years, the goblins have finally come to besiege my fortress with ten goblins to hassle my dwarves.  The squad was a mix of spearmen, hammermen, archers, and a sole axeblin and lasher.  All have been caught in the flooding chamber and are being promptly given dwarven water torture.  Unfortunately, an alpaca had failed to evacuate into the fort, and was painfully mangled, but the stray alpaca will be remembered as these ten goblins meet a watery doom.

Now I won't have to feel guilt-wracked by causing the elves to go to war, despite their generous gift of a breeding pair of grizzly bears.  As for the bugbear taming program, I'm looking hopeful that the bugbat training will be somewhat worthwhile.  (Swarms of bugbats anyone?)

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42798 on: August 21, 2015, 02:21:27 pm »

I don't understand what just happened. I went to reclaim my ill-fated fort and met a hostile dwarf who killed 6/7 of my group and wounded the last one.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #42799 on: August 21, 2015, 02:34:22 pm »

Had a mechanic drop dead out of nowhere. Nothing in his surroundings indicates violence, there are no piles of titansneeze or FB goo laying around, and he wasn't old enough to die of old age.

could be a vampire..or a murderer...or maybe there is a sneaky animal nearby,or perhaps a were creature did it...
He had some pre-existing injuries, but no major organ damage that I know of. I don't -think- it was a vampire or something in stealth, since he died in his workshop surrounded by other workers.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42800 on: August 21, 2015, 02:45:42 pm »

Had a mechanic drop dead out of nowhere. Nothing in his surroundings indicates violence, there are no piles of titansneeze or FB goo laying around, and he wasn't old enough to die of old age.

could be a vampire..or a murderer...or maybe there is a sneaky animal nearby,or perhaps a were creature did it...
He had some pre-existing injuries, but no major organ damage that I know of. I don't -think- it was a vampire or something in stealth, since he died in his workshop surrounded by other workers.

so maybe he died of stress overdose?

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42801 on: August 21, 2015, 02:54:56 pm »

So, I set up my reclaimation force, memorized the ghosts and about to put them though intense training, hoping I'd fare better this time and not repeat emu head incident that brought down my previous attempt. Followers of my adventurer who died on site apparently proclaimed themselves an ambush, but don't seem to actually do anything. So did outpost liaison. Should I attack them?
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

qorthos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42802 on: August 21, 2015, 03:07:21 pm »

Stupid fire man is hanging out near the top of the volcano where I have my initial forges.

Shooo.

Shoo!

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42803 on: August 21, 2015, 03:40:49 pm »

Infection maybe? Sounds like it with some prior injuries.

Violentlash's newest Weaponsmith has produced an artifact worth mentioning - finally, after all the crap this fortress has pumped out...

I especially like how the hammer has a picture of itself on it. And how it depicts my duchess's obsession with statues...I have MANY of them.
The materials were chosen through forbidding everything but the most valuable stuff I had - sadly I only had Draltha leather as the most valuable leather.

Also ... I finally got some Jabberers! 3 males and 1 female though, but hey, at least I got a chance for breeding them.

Still haven't had another siege to test out my cave-crocodile-nuke and I'm just about to see whether the elves finally accepted that I value their corpses more than their goods. Well, overall not much has happened, just "normal" day-to-day stuff for this old fortress, almost 42 years and still going strong, even though I got some problems with stressed out dwarves lately. (I find it kinda ridiculous actually...but hmph...stress seems to be the worst thing in .40 that can happen to your fortress.)

EDIT: Nevermind! While writing this post a goblin siege popped up. Let's see how that croc-nuke does...! Hopefully it kills more than just my FPS! (Not that it matters.)

EDIT: 1 FPS.

EDIT: Nope. All died, 600+ crocs and not a single kill. I don't think they actually fought back to be honest...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 09:15:36 pm by SyrusLD »
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #42804 on: August 21, 2015, 03:57:50 pm »

I don't understand what just happened. I went to reclaim my ill-fated fort and met a hostile dwarf who killed 6/7 of my group and wounded the last one.

Perhaps that dwarf went berserk?  That's probably one of the more likely conclusions I could draw.

Nonetheless, I wound up stopping the siege quickly and collected their goods, though unfortunately, the dwarves aren't too keen on getting the corpses out, so I might have to literally flush them out with the water system.  On the bright side, the goblin corpses did scare the elves enough that one of the yaks spilled their goods prematurely.  (Freebies from the elves?  I think this more than settles it!  Elves, you are not this fortress' enemy.)  Also, had an artifact native silver earring.  Dwarves, get it together!

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42805 on: August 21, 2015, 04:01:53 pm »

No, he wasn't berserk, but he was considered hostile. Other people are also hanging around this place hostile, but don't seem to actually do anything hostile, so I'm confused.

Group of goblin bowmen had arrived. Judging by the text, they self-identify as humans.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 04:11:48 pm by Sirbug »

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42806 on: August 21, 2015, 04:14:19 pm »

No, he wasn't berserk, but he was considered hostile. Other people are also hanging around this place hostile, but don't seem to actually do anything hostile, so I'm confused.

Group of goblin bowmen had arrived. Judging by the text, they self-identify as humans.

They might be a seperatist faction (bug usually caused by killing dwarven merchants).

Don't call them goblins! They just have a genetic disorder...

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42807 on: August 21, 2015, 05:12:45 pm »

chek ur privliges.

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #42808 on: August 22, 2015, 12:56:05 pm »

Any dwarf that "settles" or remains in the fort by the time you reclaim it, will be considered hostile. Even if they don't attack you, which I had a case of, where I had a group of 10 people remaining in the trade depot of a reclaimed fort. It was a mixture of dwarfs and humans. But all were content to stay there and not bother us, even when we moved in. Unfortunately I had to abandon this fort due to rising magma from the bug that occurs with liquid levels when you reclaim.

Magma rising up the ramp staircase is not good.
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42809 on: August 22, 2015, 12:56:50 pm »

I think I have finally secured my fort against the tower. I still have no metal and the place is a mess. Reminders of at least 4 attempt (I lost count) litter entire area, neutral merchants wander aimlessly on the surface occasionally wrestling wildlife, some outpost liaison stick around, one human and two dwarves stick around calling themselves "hostile" but doing nothing of a sort.
Pages: 1 ... 2852 2853 [2854] 2855 2856 ... 3842