Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2850 2851 [2852] 2853 2854 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6102001 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #42765 on: August 17, 2015, 09:05:38 am »

I tend to expose kittens to FBs first, to see what effect they have.

Sort of like a guinea pig.

Hmmm, maybe next time I should use guinea pigs....
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42766 on: August 17, 2015, 02:21:12 pm »

I trapped all edge-entrances to my one cavern level in Violentlash. Seems like somehow there are still creatures spawning in the caverns and not on my 4-wide cage trap carpet. No idea how that is happening, do they spawn in a range of up to 5 squares away from the edge or something?!

Anyway, that way I captured ~150 crundles as well as dozens of other creatures (still no Jabberer yet, I'm getting concerned), like 3 more GCS. I used the crundles to train a new animal trainer, two of the other three are getting somewhat old.
I then decided that I already got way too much meat and the butcher shops were already getting smelly...and ordered all captured creatures to be pitted down my new vertical-accelerator/high-speed-impact-test-tower; my embark only has 19 z-levels, and my garbage dump only went down 18 z-levels, so I just extended it upwards 15 z-levels via a tower to increase the impact-speed.

I can tell you, if you have never seen 150 crundles get pitted down a hole 33 z-levels (by ~100 dwarves), all literally exploding into body parts on impact, you have definatly missed a part of the greatness that Dwarf Fortress is!

By now I have captured even more crundles again...hmmm...hrrrhrrr...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 04:39:40 pm by SyrusLD »
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #42767 on: August 17, 2015, 07:30:09 pm »

What if the bottom of the pit is staffed, or lined with spike traps?

I've gotten result in small critters with as little as 6 zlevels.  I'd try 11 - 15, but then again I mostly want critters to survive their falls in my forts.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42768 on: August 17, 2015, 09:06:45 pm »

The goblins finally remembered that they resent the fact that I plopped my fortress down right between several of their most important sites, and sent a small siege to burn the dwarves out. Unfortunately for them, they sent about 50 more-or-less unarmored goblins, brainwashed civilized people, and troll slaves to take on six fully steel-clad, dead-eyed veteran dwarven berserkers. Needless to say, this did not end well for the goblins. I can only hope they'll send better troops when they realize the full scope of the threat these dwarves represent to their brutal hegemony here in the frozen North.

The humans, apparently furious over the murder of their last diplomat a few years ago, but too lazy to do anything about it until now, followed up by sending about twenty poorly-armored recruits mere days after the slaughter of the goblins. The gates to the fortress are an abattoir, and even the hardiest of haulers is continually horrified by the dead bodies they've been asked to dump down the magma chute.

On the civilian side of things, I've decided to take advantage of the dfhack tweak that fixes the bug that causes candy cloth to deteriorate like regular clothing. Now, a handful of dwarves are running around the fort in legendary clothing that will last them the rest of their lives, even if they live a very long time. I hope eventually to put the clothier, weaver and dyer out of a job (and let them retire young to lives of blissful hedonism).

The queen and her entourage arrived, and to my great pleasure, none of them were vampires--I still haven't set up an appropriate punishment for the leeches I already have bricked up around the fort.

Finally, and perhaps most excitingly, the execution of a caged troglodyte unwedged the map's animal spawning, and my traps are now filled with elk birds and coyotes, which I plan to tame and immediately slaughter, and rutherers, which I intend to domesticate. I've also determined that to slaughter any creepy crawlers you have your trappers catch, you cannot domesticate them. If you leave them wild, a butchery job will be queued automagically, but if you tame them there appears to be no way to mark them for slaughter, unlike every non-vermin creature. Oh, well.

Ganb

• Bay Watcher
  • Beast Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42769 on: August 18, 2015, 05:03:07 am »

- Added [AMPHIBIOUS] to Merpeople, gave them their own Civ. Tried Ocean embark, discovered that they still behave like dwarves around water. Won't path into, leaves any depths higher than 3 or 4, won't build on water, won't dig dangerous terrain.

- Try to make a beach fort with water channeled moats and grate windows for the ocean waves to wash through. Goes fairly well considering they must move on land with their incredibly slow crawl gait.

- Examine Merpeople's inventory while equipping them. Discover they're coated in each others tears.
- Feel incredibly guilty for making the imaginary merpeople crawl around in the dirt.
- Release them back into the ocean, erase the world, and delete the raws.

Be free, Merpeople. Be free.
You need to find the most exotic animal pet you can, and then breed a war party of them. Have a beastmaster as your only guardian, wrapped in adamantium with a platinum war hammer that is backed by savage giant beasts from around the world.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #42770 on: August 18, 2015, 06:01:51 am »

The enemy (ie humans) have come and are laying siege to the fortress.

Finally. After countless murdered caravans, the humans finally got the hint and started attacking me.  Unfortunately, they were a bunch of green-as-hell recruits with literally nil combat skills.

Collision in 10...9...8...7...

They look around, and start running around terrified because they saw my llamas.

Collision in 6...5...4...

One of our stray cats casually walks past them.

Collision in 3...2...

The earth starts to shake.

One.

They realise that they are standing on minecart tracks.

The smile on my face as the humans exploded in a shower of body parts and lead minecarts was the widest I've ever had when playing DF.  I couldn't stop bloody laughing. Aaaaahhhh....good fun.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42771 on: August 18, 2015, 06:53:51 am »

Filling a lead minecart with magma is possible, but it seems it doesn't make for a good projectile - i sent it into a small cyclotron and when the cart melted, everything just flopped to the floor without any forward velocity. Booo. (Lead minecart with magma inside lasts for about 60 steps before melting.)

We got two visits to keep us entertained. First was an ettin who went straight for the trade depot/manufacturing area and tore apart a furnace operator before the military arrived. The carpenter/woodworker bravely kept the giant humanoid occupied - landed dozens of very ineffective hits with a copper battleaxe. The military chopped off all limbs before the ettin finally bled out; the kill was credited to the macedwarf who arrived last; her muscle-bruising bash just happened to be the last attack that landed before the ettin perished. Two civilians got wounded.

A few days later, we received a gift of ten loincloths. The military got distracted by a passing rattlesnake, so one spearmaster started the gift-harvesting alone, liberating six loincloths all by herself before the rest of the squad got over their excitement about the successful hunt and helped with the remaining goblins. Since invading squads generally take several turns to get themselves sorted before moving, the civilians were safely pulled inside by general alert, even the mason who decided he had to bring along the diorite boulder he'd been working on.

Now, if the elves remembered they're officially at war with us...

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42772 on: August 18, 2015, 01:11:05 pm »

The fortress of Destinedmark, my latest attempt at a zero-migrant generation fort, has had many issues with water in its time.

First, I attempted to build a well. My own failure to understand water pressure caused part of the top level of my fort to flood. Now, the constant rain in the rainforest biome of the fort has, after 5 years or so, caused the pools of water on the surface to burst their banks and flood most of the surface. Falling trees have now opened holes into the top level of the fortress, and it's a desperate battle to hold the line and to keep the fortress secure from surface attack.

Spoiler: top level of fortress (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: the surface (click to show/hide)

In all of these shots, I have dfHack's "twaterlvl" plugin turned on. It isn't cheating, since you can already tell the depth of any given water tile in the base game - this just makes it more convenient.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #42773 on: August 18, 2015, 01:14:21 pm »

Twaterlevel just toggles an option already available in the options file. It's not cheating at all.

StumpytheOzzie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42774 on: August 18, 2015, 10:28:44 pm »

I embarked on a perfect embark. Flat volcano, marble, hematite, sand and some wood. Goblins are at war, 4000 of them in the world. Plenty of dwarves for migration ~ 500 in my civ. I also embarked near a tower for the first time.

So, about 2 months in I get a siege from the goblins. It turns out to be 1 speardwarf recruit. My war dogs slaughter him. There is another "siege" a few months later, 1 goblin and 2 dwarves. My fledgling army disposes of them for the cost of a melee dwarf's mangled hand.

Nothing much happens for the next 5 years... I now have 4 squads (Axes, Hammers, Marksdwarves and "general melee" spears, swords and maces.) approx 15 weaponlords, with the other 25 not far off, everyone is quite proficient armour user and they all have masterwork steel everything thanks to a lucky armourer mood early on.

Since nothing much is happening, I decide to start a blue peafowl breeding program. I'm going to sequester the strongest peacock and 3 female peahens for a couple of years and breed out weakness. Then, take the best of the second generation and breed out low endurance etc etc.

The butcher's block has been so busy I have 2 master butchers and my outdoors is flooded with bits of peacocks. It seems butchering is a higher priority than throwing garbage into the volcano, or emptying prepared meat from the butchery.

And... cue the Necromancer. It seems that dwarves and Goblins alike have been trying to kill off the necromancer. They have failed. I assume this because the invading army is 65 Goblins and 18 dwarves.

Not only do I have to contend with 83 undead invaders, I have about 500 animated peacock parts assaulting my butchers. This could be fun.
Jesus doesn't embark in terrifying biomes, and these forums certainly count.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #42775 on: August 19, 2015, 03:15:44 am »

Apparently my dwarves noped out of the desert oasis I created for them (with it basically raining iron and flux) and decided to come to volcanofort, with no flux and no trees.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

FriarVicaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42776 on: August 19, 2015, 07:08:29 am »

So my new fort just got its first migrant "wave," if you can even call it that.

The wave consisted of only one stoneworker who died immediately. Why? I don't know, though the dwarves live in a savage jungle and I've seen lions and kingsnake men wandering about. He may have been mauled by an animal.
WHAT'S THE MATTER ANDY? DON'T YOU WANT TO HAVE SOME !!FUN!!?

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #42777 on: August 19, 2015, 07:17:36 am »

Apparently my dwarves noped out of the desert oasis I created for them (with it basically raining iron and flux) and decided to come to volcanofort, with no flux and no trees.
1 had no mountain.
The other had a mountain and easily accessible magma.

I think you're making this a too easy choice for the dwarves.

FriarVicaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42778 on: August 19, 2015, 04:10:44 pm »

I'm godawful at managing seeds. I've tried to keep the supply of plump helmet seeds plentiful by making alcohol via Workflow, but the only result was 623 units of dwarven wine and merely 70 seeds.

What's the best way to keep a maintain a steady supply of seeds without going overboard?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 04:19:50 pm by FriarVicaris »
WHAT'S THE MATTER ANDY? DON'T YOU WANT TO HAVE SOME !!FUN!!?

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42779 on: August 19, 2015, 05:00:30 pm »

I'm godawful at managing seeds. I've tried to keep the supply of plump helmet seeds plentiful by making alcohol via Workflow, but the only result was 623 units of dwarven wine and merely 70 seeds.

What's the best way to keep a maintain a steady supply of seeds without going overboard?

DFHack i believe has a command that does what you are asking about. not sure about anything else though.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.
Pages: 1 ... 2850 2851 [2852] 2853 2854 ... 3842