Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2849 2850 [2851] 2852 2853 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6102020 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #42750 on: August 16, 2015, 07:48:38 am »

I have been trying out peregrine falcon breeding and so far two batches of chicks have successfully hatched. Everything should be good then; only that I now noticed that the only female is actually asexual. This leads to a disturbing suspicion that what happens in the falcon pen between the female and the three males isn't entirely consensual...

I have also been trying to breed and tame Voracious Cave Crawlers but it looks like my trainers can't actually train the offspring up to Tame level. Is this because the crawlers are born as full adults?
Yes, I have the same problem with my cave dragon breeding. Still not sure if they will ever become tame?
My three animal trainers are all legendary 3 already, mostly due to the Crundles I keep catching, training and butchering.
Having tamed both creatures, I can tell you that they will never get to tame level unless you mod in a child tag. Many cavern creatures lack one.

FriarVicaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42751 on: August 16, 2015, 12:54:34 pm »

I feel like drawbridges are too overpowered. They can even keep out forgotten beasts so long as they don't fly over it (which most likely isn't possible in a generic undermountain fortress)

A lot of times I've just ignored sieges because my drawbridges kept every single dastardly bastard out. Though only now I've started to realize that I'm also keeping all the !!FUN!! out.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 02:12:56 pm by FriarVicaris »
WHAT'S THE MATTER ANDY? DON'T YOU WANT TO HAVE SOME !!FUN!!?

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42752 on: August 16, 2015, 01:25:35 pm »

malimbar04, are you plagued by necromancers, or is the land around you suffering the curse of undeath?  I hope, if it's the latter, that you did that in a non-reanimating portion of your map...  *undead werecavies eat everyone*

The undead dwarves rose in an evil portion of the map, due to a handful of accidents involving a well, waterfall, aquifer, and attempts to secure it from the outside. They were caught in cage traps in order to re-secure said area, and the corpse stockpile is indeed on the non-evil portion of the map.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #42753 on: August 16, 2015, 02:18:37 pm »

Two artifact armors so far. Hoping for an artifact battleaxe at some point; this fort's whole purpose is a training and equipping camp for the two adventurers I retired and added to the fortress guard.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #42754 on: August 16, 2015, 03:48:27 pm »

I have been playing with the fort for now, and Armok is angry with me to send a giantess towards my fortress' direction.  Thankfully, she seems quite interested in the wildlife for now as I raise the siege alarm to get the dwarves and animals in.  Unfortunately, drowning her is not viable for now due to the fact my water froze in a hurry.  As such, I prepare for her capture.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #42755 on: August 16, 2015, 04:23:08 pm »

Quick question: how deep should I make my dodgeme traps?
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #42756 on: August 16, 2015, 04:43:56 pm »

Quick question: how deep should I make my dodgeme traps?

It all depends on the size of the creature generally.  If it's a dwarf-sized thing or bigger ya want toasted, I'd probably recommend at least 20 z-levels deep to make the victim crippled, if not splattered.

In other news, with my fort:  The giantess is caught, as well as a boar she was about to make pork out of, and in terms of cave news, one of the forgotten beasts croaked, but with access to the second cave, I play cautiously with a draw bridge airlock in case of forgotten beasts.  (Yes, any of them.)  Did get a couple breeding pairs of bugbats, and am planning to train them up.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #42757 on: August 16, 2015, 05:27:37 pm »

What if the bottom of the pit is staffed, or lined with spike traps?
GM of Trespassers V2.

CancerousCthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42758 on: August 16, 2015, 06:14:12 pm »

If you put upright spikes, be careful. You might just create a shaft of enlightenment and lead to a legendary+50 gobbo.
Guys I don't think we want to mess with using dwarves as fusion material here. Be careful.

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #42759 on: August 16, 2015, 06:15:29 pm »

Good question, though I think you would end up with something suffering skewered targets that'll eventually eat fall damage if the spikes don't do the job.  (Might need another Dwarf Fortress player to help me out on that.)

The fort of mine has been blessed by the elves!  They brought a breeding pair of grizzly bears in one caravan!  They were promptly bought, along with the tiercel peregrine.  The migrants are flooding in as well, as I consider how to make use of the giantess.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42760 on: August 16, 2015, 07:57:40 pm »

Just order your dwarves to dig it down to the third cavern nothing can survive that fall :)
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #42761 on: August 16, 2015, 08:42:35 pm »

Oh, these would be linked to a lever. A legendary+50 gobbo isn't going to survive without taking some major issues on the climb back out.
GM of Trespassers V2.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42762 on: August 16, 2015, 08:49:30 pm »

Oh, these would be linked to a lever. A legendary+50 gobbo isn't going to survive without taking some major issues on the climb back out.

Have the lever pulled with priority on repeat for best affect.

Bytecrush

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #42763 on: August 16, 2015, 11:56:20 pm »

In my most recent fort, i was terraforming an ugly looking cliff when a piece of dirt broke off and punched a hole straight through my fortress all the way to the bottom floor,
knocking half the population unconsciuous (thanks to the huge cloud of dust that ensued). Goddamnit.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #42764 on: August 17, 2015, 12:17:00 am »

GCS ate a legendary carpenter as one of my "legendary hammerdwarves" whose highest skill is Proficient Fighter and is currently using a +steel battleaxe+ dukes it out with a FB. (Legendary Observer, go figure.)

EDIT: Aaaaand FB extract apparently causes everything in the entire body to go numb followed shortly by death. My entire militia was exposed to it. Awesome. One of the casualties was the axedwarf adventurer this fort existed for in the first place.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 12:30:12 am by KingMurdoc »
GM of Trespassers V2.
Pages: 1 ... 2849 2850 [2851] 2852 2853 ... 3842