Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2830 2831 [2832] 2833 2834 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120731 times)

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #42465 on: July 21, 2015, 09:46:31 pm »

Made a new fortress under the promise that it had a river and then...

It didn't. Wow. I guess I'll deal with it, though. A snow-covered wasteland is better than someplace with an aquifer.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42466 on: July 21, 2015, 10:51:02 pm »

Made a new fortress under the promise that it had a river and then...

It didn't. Wow. I guess I'll deal with it, though. A snow-covered wasteland is better than someplace with an aquifer.

It may very well have a river right under the snow. Be careful where you build.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

soulsource

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42467 on: July 22, 2015, 04:46:35 am »

I've started a new fort, in the wilderness right next to a haunted forest, on the border between a freezing and a cold biome, and with an aquifer. I'm planning to make its story into, well, an actual story, and am now wondering where best to post it. The "Community Games & Stories" subforum? A thread in the "Dwarf Mode Discussion" subforum? Here?

Anyhow, the new fort is incredibly fun. Indeed, ravens are murder. Those undead beasts have killed three of my dwarfs already, one of them was even armed with a hammer, but didn't stand a chance against those rotten predators...
Can you imagine how much I'm looking forward to the first goblin siege, just to see them run in terror when they realize that the sky-undead come nosediving towards them?
Quote from: Porkins Windu
Really, DF and Metal are practically the same. Drunkenness, Death, Depression, Depravity, Despondence, Demons, Dementia, Darkness. And thats just the D's!

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42468 on: July 22, 2015, 05:11:26 am »

Copperfell finally received the first decently sized goblin siege: 44 invaders of varying classes. That's the largest I've seen in .40.xx. There might be quite a few stressed haulers after cleaning up all this goblinite and body parts.

Those tiercel peregrines are getting everywhere; one was caught in a cage trap in the first cavern level, of all places. How it got through the whole fortress and several pet-locked doors unnoticed is a complete mystery to me. Of course they're not causing any harm but I can't understand why they're so keen to get underground.

One doorway near forges has started accumulating bolts; the haulers keep dropping them into that same spot. Something might be spooking them although I have no idea what it might be. I might have overdone bolt production anyway; I tried to get rid of my surplus copper and bones by turning them into bolts and now there are over fifteen thousand of them stockpiled. All my very elite crossbowdwarves are practicing non-stop but there's still enough ammo for decades to come.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

soulsource

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42469 on: July 22, 2015, 05:38:27 am »

Those tiercel peregrines are getting everywhere; one was caught in a cage trap in the first cavern level, of all places. How it got through the whole fortress and several pet-locked doors unnoticed is a complete mystery to me. Of course they're not causing any harm but I can't understand why they're so keen to get underground.
Maybe they are drawn to the caverns by a surplus of vermin there? The wiki lists peregrine falcons as a catsplosion-free alternative for vermin control, so I wouldn't be surprised if wild ones also hunt for it.
Quote from: Porkins Windu
Really, DF and Metal are practically the same. Drunkenness, Death, Depression, Depravity, Despondence, Demons, Dementia, Darkness. And thats just the D's!

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42470 on: July 22, 2015, 06:54:47 am »

Maybe they are drawn to the caverns by a surplus of vermin there? The wiki lists peregrine falcons as a catsplosion-free alternative for vermin control, so I wouldn't be surprised if wild ones also hunt for it.

Really? Maybe I should tame the next ones I catch; with luck I'll get a breeding pair of them. It could be useful to have some fast flying vermin hunters/explorers/spotters.

Uhhh... welcome?

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42471 on: July 22, 2015, 07:53:05 am »

I've started a new fort, in the wilderness right next to a haunted forest, on the border between a freezing and a cold biome, and with an aquifer. I'm planning to make its story into, well, an actual story, and am now wondering where best to post it. The "Community Games & Stories" subforum? A thread in the "Dwarf Mode Discussion" subforum? Here?

Anyhow, the new fort is incredibly fun. Indeed, ravens are murder. Those undead beasts have killed three of my dwarfs already, one of them was even armed with a hammer, but didn't stand a chance against those rotten predators...
Can you imagine how much I'm looking forward to the first goblin siege, just to see them run in terror when they realize that the sky-undead come nosediving towards them?
It would be in community forts and stories

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42472 on: July 22, 2015, 08:42:45 am »

The liaison visited with the latest news:

The latest news from Secretivepaints is that a few months ago the site was conquered by The Bad Curses.
Months ago Vabôk Figuretangles the Clear Bodices became mayor of The Glowing Lancers, replacing Zan Woundchurches the Tin Oaks of Weight.

Those names made me check the Legends snapshot I had taken before my dwarves embarked for Copperfell six years ago. The Glowing Lancers is/was the group inhabiting Secretivepaints, the fortress that got conquered by the goblin civilization The Bad Curses. Zan Woundchurches is a goblin and Vabôk Figuretangles is an elf; both have been members of my civ The Paddle of Fealties since birth and are presumably both citizens of good standing. Neither had those extra names in the snapshot which leads me to believe they've both had very interesting last six years. I have to check their histories at some later point.

These little stories are the thing that keeps me playing Dwarf Fortress...

Uhhh... welcome?

BesorgterZwerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42473 on: July 22, 2015, 09:44:31 am »

The Undead walk!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yes, i am a coward... :D
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 09:47:54 am by BesorgterZwerg »

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #42474 on: July 22, 2015, 10:24:48 am »

The Undead walk!

Presumin' they were appropriately armed, I don't think you'd be any less of a coward than I would be.  If only there was a chamber to drop the undead in and cremate them for good measure...

Also started a new fort with goblin and elven neighbors (Never could find a site with all the races without meeting an accursed aquifer), and looking at the industries available, I may be glassworking like crazy in the near future, especially if I can ready a reliable means to minecart magma up to my fort for magma forges.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #42475 on: July 22, 2015, 10:39:27 am »

I got through the aqifier by caving in an area
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

BesorgterZwerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42476 on: July 22, 2015, 12:38:30 pm »

"The Wereass has come! His dry sparse hair is extremely long."

What? :-X

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42477 on: July 22, 2015, 01:09:36 pm »

The Undead walk!

Don't think of them as caged undead horrors, think of them as Fedex for goblinite.  Didn't have iron?  Now you do!  Didn't have new clothes?  Taken care of!  It's the DF version of an Amazon gift card  :)
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Skribbblie

• Bay Watcher
  • Dlaglunkis slugutalbis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42478 on: July 22, 2015, 03:12:06 pm »

My fortress in a savage glacier within range of a warring goblin nation and a necromancer tower recently came close to ruin

When I forgot to change their blood back from a solid to a liquid in the raws after arena testing.

Thus making them unable to eat anything EXCEPT plants. Strangely.

So I guess you could make an entirely vegetarian society by making their blood solid...

But I wouldn't tempt fate. Turning blood into a gas can cause crashes, so who knows what solid blood will do.

Thankfully, a quick edit of the save file's raws amended this crisis.

Back to trying to make my triggats have sex under a glacier.
I'm not really sure that maiming someone and forcing them to live with a crippling disability for your amusement can really be considered "merciful." Just sayin'.
Dwarven mercy.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42479 on: July 22, 2015, 04:58:28 pm »

A war grizzly bear recruit has arrived with the invading elf.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.
Pages: 1 ... 2830 2831 [2832] 2833 2834 ... 3842