Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2829 2830 [2831] 2832 2833 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120188 times)

Skribbblie

• Bay Watcher
  • Dlaglunkis slugutalbis!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #42450 on: July 20, 2015, 02:55:11 pm »

Interesting place to leave the wagon, lads.

I foresee a tremendous amount of fun ahead of you...
On the bright side, we dug into the sea floor, and created a secure stairway to the surface of the water, before the ocean could thaw.

On the downside, one of the miners drowned when it -did- actually thaw.

But at least we have sandstone now.

And we can dig to the shore if we want.

But where's the fun in that? Let's see about irrigating a room before we run out of food to eat.
I'm not really sure that maiming someone and forcing them to live with a crippling disability for your amusement can really be considered "merciful." Just sayin'.
Dwarven mercy.

G3Kappa

• Bay Watcher
  • You lick the Badger Boar tongue.
    • View Profile
    • Fieropa
« Reply #42451 on: July 20, 2015, 05:08:50 pm »

> I'm forging 5 battle axes for my small squad of axedwarves
> The mayor mandates the construction of 1 battle axe

I think I might... like... this Uristocrat.

EDIT: She has just prohibited the export of said battle axes.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 05:15:24 pm by G3Kappa »

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42452 on: July 20, 2015, 05:18:37 pm »

I am attempting to rebuild dwarven civilization, using only the starting 7 that were magically created by the game on embark. Against me is the gutted ruins of the human civ, and their goblin overlords. The only surviving elf, of course, still sits in a tomb mumbling quietly to herself.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #42453 on: July 20, 2015, 06:03:41 pm »

Just saw a wrestler I kept around apply the finishing blow to a Cyclops that killed the rest of his squad. The wrestler twisted his arm for a while, threw him around by his teeth... I have a feeling he may be a vampire.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42454 on: July 20, 2015, 07:54:59 pm »

Moved my depot into the caverns and got the human caravan to leave the site via the caverns, which was pretty neat.  Have to see if the dwarves do the same.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42455 on: July 20, 2015, 11:35:28 pm »

I keep getting deaths in the danger room that doubles as fort meeting area. The first one was a few years after I started - a dwarf fell onto the stone floor of the pool and smashed his throat. I savescummed that because it was never supposed to happen. It happened again a few years later, and that time I accepted the loss as inevitable, although I did replace the stone floor with wood to try to prevent more deaths. Now two more have died - one apparently the same way and another from (it would seem) actual blows from the wooden training spears. It's really getting annoying, since there's no other good way to prevent lots of fort deaths from other things (such as forgotten beast attacks and goblins). Maybe I should be going with one spear per tile instead of five, but the child care thread produced good results (and relatively few deaths) from five per tile, especially once Staalo replaced the stone floors with willow ones.

I savescummed the last two deaths, mostly because I couldn't find combat reports and thus don't know what went wrong. If I did, I could write off the deaths as hard lessons learned, but this way it's just pointless.

Moreover, not much happens in the fort year to year. Losing a year or two doesn't make much difference. I will have to re-order the steel armor I made for my eight hammerdwarves and re-butcher the giant moth. But that's about it...

*sigh* This really gets me down, not knowing why.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42456 on: July 21, 2015, 03:25:03 am »

Thanks to the unique properties of U/D stairs, which allow transit on a vertical diagonal I somehow managed to release all of the clowns into the magma sea and thus into the third cavern level. Just the first few have made it in so far and there was plenty of time to make sure everything was secure. At least now I know where the little buggers are. Guess I'll have to enlarge my tree farm to get another sources of Bloodthorn wood.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42457 on: July 21, 2015, 05:36:55 am »

Thanks to the unique properties of U/D stairs, which allow transit on a vertical diagonal I somehow managed to release all of the clowns into the magma sea and thus into the third cavern level. Just the first few have made it in so far and there was plenty of time to make sure everything was secure. At least now I know where the little buggers are. Guess I'll have to enlarge my tree farm to get another sources of Bloodthorn wood.

I'm not sure if it's just U/D stairs. I've seen the same thing happen with ramps, oddly enough. Ruined my plans for annihilating the clown car with a cave-in.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

BesorgterZwerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42458 on: July 21, 2015, 09:06:04 am »

So, four necromancers appeared without any army and walked straight into my cage traps.

GG.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #42459 on: July 21, 2015, 10:40:27 am »

So, four necromancers appeared without any army and walked straight into my cage traps.

GG.

Be careful- their necromancy is line of site. Carry them by a butcher shop or a corpse pile and you- I mean, they're perfectly safe... Perfectly...
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #42460 on: July 21, 2015, 10:48:27 am »

started a new base, misjudge the distance and accidentally flooded a month's worth of work.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42461 on: July 21, 2015, 02:50:51 pm »

GG.

Be careful- their necromancy is line of site. Carry them by a butcher shop or a corpse pile and you- I mean, they're perfectly safe... Perfectly...

This is why I never have a refuse heap that isn't behind doors.  Strong, lockable, sealable doors.

Doors.

No reason why though... just... hm... seemed the thing to do...  :o *whistling*
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42462 on: July 21, 2015, 07:29:18 pm »

I am playing a human fort!

It is above ground aside from mines, and has no military metals whatsoever. Currently consists of 8 homes, a granary, an eating hall, and some farms.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Camulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42463 on: July 21, 2015, 07:55:49 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is the catacombs of Realmsmine.

Every alcove is filled with a coffin.

Amount of dwarves that have died in Realmsmine: One.

Damn you, cowardly necromancers, leaving the map with yer minions.
Damned your cowardice, I want Fuhn!!!

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42464 on: July 21, 2015, 08:04:08 pm »

Breachedcrypt endures.  6 years on, FPS hovers around 20 and fort value is 9.5mil.  Most fun so far was a goblin scouting force, a forgotten beast, 3 necros with 120 friends, and a mountain titan all showing up at the same time.

Amusingly enough, the mountain titan showed up next to the zombies.  He lasted about two minutes, and took out maybe (maybe) three zombies before getting zorched.  The necros pathed into the fort's cages, and went to meet Armok in the shiny red basement fluid.  The zombies milled around uncertainly in a giant mass, displaying the pathing bug, until I had to DFHack them away, and then the militia killed the FB and the cooks turned it into food/trade goods. 

Since then, nothing has attacked the fort  :(  I went from a barony to a duchy in one step.  Once the goblin king shows up and is executed by the cave ogres I'm pasturing in his adamantine palace, it will probably get retired.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.
Pages: 1 ... 2829 2830 [2831] 2832 2833 ... 3842