Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2828 2829 [2830] 2831 2832 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6119568 times)

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #42435 on: July 17, 2015, 12:35:51 pm »

Micromanaging dwarves is really a challenge, especially when you have zones set up to be intentionally dangerous to said dwarves. The training room/meeting hall has claimed its second life; the first one I savescummed, but this one will remain to remind me of the price of negligence. I shall replace the stone floor under the hall with a wooden one, to (hopefully) prevent such needless death in the future.

By the way, does anyone know if there's some article of clothing that covers the throat? Both deaths have been to dwarves taking "the full impact" of the fall into the pool on their throats, and apparently there's no armor there.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42436 on: July 17, 2015, 03:17:36 pm »

Goblins sent a token force of 15... couple human crossbowmen and goblin infantry.

Sadly for them, they didn't realize the significance of the blood-red building with shiny doors built outside the walls.  When the steel-clad vampire came rolling out, they were a little startled... but not for long.  Fifteen spear strikes later, back indoors he went, and the cleaners came to gather up the goblin cutlets.

Next?
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42437 on: July 17, 2015, 03:50:35 pm »

By the way, does anyone know if there's some article of clothing that covers the throat? Both deaths have been to dwarves taking "the full impact" of the fall into the pool on their throats, and apparently there's no armor there.

Cloaks, as many as possible and that will reduce the possibility of neck damage.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42438 on: July 18, 2015, 06:10:13 am »

I was made a barony, and appointed a baron. Then two more residents of my my fort inherited baronships, "being the rightful heir". When I got made into a dutch, ALL THREE of my barons were made dukes. (There are about a dozen barons in my civ, but the only dukes are my three.)
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42439 on: July 18, 2015, 06:18:16 am »

I was made a barony, and appointed a baron. Then two more residents of my my fort inherited baronships, "being the rightful heir". When I got made into a dutch, ALL THREE of my barons were made dukes. (There are about a dozen barons in my civ, but the only dukes are my three.)
Your path is clear. Destroy them for the good of the dwarven empire.

QuietForte

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #42440 on: July 18, 2015, 05:15:40 pm »

A weresheep showed up and attacked a group of plant gatherers and a few children roaming about outside. I sent my military to quickly dispatch of the menace - there were some injuries but when I looked through the combat logs it didn't appear that anybody had been bitten, so I thought I was green to go. I found out how wrong I was when my fortress was suddenly under internal attack by weresheep, the majority of them children. Before my military could respond, all of the children in my fort who weren't weresheep were dead, and the ones who were weresheep were brutally cut down along with the rest. All in all, about half of my fort's population has their guts smeared about the dining hall and sleeping quarters.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42441 on: July 19, 2015, 02:07:22 am »

Bonus: I made a statue for the sake of spicing up my hospital*. I wonder what wonderful work of art they deemed fitting.

For the record, Eral Lashgrooves is our main book dwarf. Manager, broker, and bookkeeper. Seems he has... a now famous fear. Eral, may the hazing commence.

*ok, so technically the hospital was just convenient because it had a waterfall. Aaaand... the waterfall was basically an accident when trying ot make a well. It appears that 2 levels below our wells is an aquifer. Bonus - endless water. Also endless water sink, where the river was supposed to fill.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

soulsource

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42442 on: July 19, 2015, 03:48:22 am »

The latest news from Beautysprings is, that a month ago the Fountain of Beauty gave up its occupation of the site.

Everything was running well (including a working more than 100 levels high magma pump stack, armourer and weapon smith who produced a steady stream of master work steel items,...), when just another forgotten beast showed up. This time a giant earwig with lacy wings, which was belching and croaking, and sadly for the dwarfs, also spitting webs. As the last few forgotten beasts hadn't really been an issue, the military was sent to quickly dispose of it. Using its webs, it killed all but four soldiers. Two of the survivors were only skilled with ranged weapons.

That wouldn't have been an issue. While the dwarfs of Beautysprings earned their wealth thanks to the riches found in the caverns, they no longer were dependent on the caverns in any way, so shutting them off should have given the dwarfs enough time to rebuild their military, and also to rethink the non-military defences in the caverns. The main reason the forgotten beast had to be fought by the military was anyhow, that said non-military defences were currently under construction, not quite ready to deal with the attacker...
While the dwarfs were still cleaning up the mess left behind by the forgotten beast, something I definitely wanted them to finish, so that the new recruits could get their equipment from the stockpiles instead of the dirty caverns floor - there was a syndrome related accident with one of the fresh recruits, who decided to first take off his clothes and then went to the caverns to pick up the new equipment - a vile force of darkness arrived.
As the dwarfs of Beautysprings have the policy that noone is left behind, they waited with closing the over-ground defensive gates until the last civilian was inside. The remaining few soldiers were sent to delay the approach of the enemy. That worked, but it cost one brave legendary axeman the live, who was, instead of defending the gate, rushing outside. Before the gate finally was closed a troll had managed to enter. This monster destroyed the second gate - the one that should have blocked the fort main entry in case of a dire emergency, before it was brought down by a soldier that luckily was still on his way from the fort to the fight.
Most goblins ran away after seeing the bloodbath at the now closed gate, but a hand full of trolls and better trained goblins stayed behind. The trolls did something the dwarfs wouldn't have thought off: They used trees to climb over the two z-levels high and overhanging fortress wall. This sheds a new light on the elf's demand not to cut down trees...
The best marksman of the now three remaining soldiers got exhausted and collapsed, and the other two could sadly not prevent the trolls from killing two innocent civilians. Still, the marksman managed, with the help of some rangers that passed by to carry away the troll corpses, to kill all but five goblins from the (now) safety of the defensive wall.
Two of the goblins were standing at a place, where the drawbridge would kill them if it opened. So, the dwarfs did just that, relying on the strength of the soldiers to fight off the last three goblins.

And this is where the story ends. At least one of the remaining goblins was obviously a well trained fighter that took down the two (remember, one soldier fell asleep) remaining defenders with ease, and started murdering civilians in the dining hall. With no defences left, the dwarfs saw only one way to escape this situation. Grab what they need to survive a trip through the wilderness to the luckily not very far neighbouring city, and run for their lives...

And what do we learn from that: Most goblins are a joke, but one should always estimate how well trained a goblin fighter is, before one lowers the defences.

(I am aware that probably the civilians would have managed to kill the remaining goblins, but I wasn't motivated to deal with the dozens of casualties the goblins would have cost before miners, hunters and treecutters would have had a chance to kill them...)

Edit: I just saw in Legends mode, that Beautysprings was responsible for the death of one of the first dragons (who just caused 1, in words: one casualty). A bitter end for such a legendary settlement, to be taken over by the goblins.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 03:57:41 am by soulsource »
Quote from: Porkins Windu
Really, DF and Metal are practically the same. Drunkenness, Death, Depression, Depravity, Despondence, Demons, Dementia, Darkness. And thats just the D's!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #42443 on: July 19, 2015, 05:16:51 am »

...I have killed a phoenix. I now have a phoenix Heartstone sitting in the stockpile. This gem is twice as expensive as the most expensive vanilla gems... I also killed a dragon, I have used it's bones to make bars of burning steel... Then, there's that leather from a purgatory wolf. This is as expensive than elephant leather... Then there's the teeth from the dragon, the hydra, and finally, the purgatory wolf...

With some savescumming and luck, I could have a masterwork burning steel short sword, with a pommel masterfully encrusted with phoenix heart, a hilt masterfully wrapped in purgatory wolf leather, and masterfully encrusted with hydra-purgatory wolf-dragon teeth... Imagine how expensive that thing would be? It's too bad I don't have an Eldest Dragon's Soulstone to also go on the pommel, that thing is as expensive as a gem made of candy once it's processed.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42444 on: July 19, 2015, 11:27:14 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"She likes ... demons of vomit for their disgusting appearance."

This is a hunter dwarf.  She menaces with spikes of wtf.  Her deity is the god of blight, death, rain and trees.  She is so completely prepared to be a necromancer... but wants to craft a masterwork.  Masterwork what?  Bed made from the bones of her kids?
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #42445 on: July 19, 2015, 08:44:32 pm »

I just got my militia commander to not care about anything anymore after one fight. This is usually done after hundreds of fights.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42446 on: July 19, 2015, 08:50:10 pm »

I just got my militia commander to not care about anything anymore after one fight. This is usually done after four or five hundreds of fights.

Psych trauma is much easier to pile up now, if you get a handful of attacks. So I fixed that statement. Personally I feel like it piles up too easily, and from enemies your dwarves shouldn't feel a lick of sympathy over...

Skribbblie

• Bay Watcher
  • Dlaglunkis slugutalbis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42447 on: July 20, 2015, 01:33:54 am »

Interesting place to leave the wagon, lads.

You know this is a COLD biome and not a FREEZING biome, right?

... Well, get digging, I guess.

Preferably with some sense of urgency...

I'm not really sure that maiming someone and forcing them to live with a crippling disability for your amusement can really be considered "merciful." Just sayin'.
Dwarven mercy.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42448 on: July 20, 2015, 05:18:53 am »

Interesting place to leave the wagon, lads.

I foresee a tremendous amount of fun ahead of you...

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42449 on: July 20, 2015, 06:15:10 am »

Your path is clear. Destroy them for the good of the dwarven empire.

Normally I'd agree, but they are all master craftsdwarves who continue to do their jobs without complaint and only feel "ambivalent" when their mandates are ignored and the ignorers go unpunished.

(unpunished, that is, except for one macedwarf that got knocked into a cage trap while battling gobblins; he got let out as soon as the fighting ended, but the game apparently considered that his sentence for not creating millstones had been carried out. Go figure.)

In other news, six hammerdwarves surrounded and killed a hydra without breaking a sweat. Life is good.
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".
Pages: 1 ... 2828 2829 [2830] 2831 2832 ... 3842