Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2824 2825 [2826] 2827 2828 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6119278 times)

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #42375 on: July 13, 2015, 02:05:55 pm »

My first time trying an aboveground fortress. Any tips?

Best advice is, figure out the ground rules for what is allowed (digging/no digging, etc.) before you start.  Other than that, in no particular order:

* Make sure your embark has clay.  Wood is good, but if you have clay, you can gather an infinite amount of clay and use it as a building resource.  You don't have to fire it into bricks (though I generally do past a certain point if I have enough wood for charcoal, just to raise the value of the building materials).  Producing glass blocks or bricks is heinously inefficient use of resources, though, at least at first.

* Don't live long-term in a wooden building.  The first fire-breathing titan or dragon that appears and your entire fort will go up.

* Fired clay and glass are your friends.

* Trade with the caravans for all the metal you can get, and all the stone as well (stone is needed for mechanisms).  If you have sand and trees, you have all you need for clear glass, which is a source of high value items for the growing fort.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #42376 on: July 13, 2015, 02:14:32 pm »

* Don't live long-term in a wooden building.  The first fire-breathing titan or dragon that appears and your entire fort will go up.

Nope. Constructed wooden walls will no more burn than constructed bauxite walls.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42377 on: July 13, 2015, 02:26:48 pm »

Bah. The goblins are stuck sending me their shitty scout squads over and over, once per year. Awesome.

The layering of the grinder works, mostly: it consists of two grinder cells anyway, and now there's a hostile-sensing pressure plate between the "outer" and "inner" cell. When waiting for enemy groups, now only the inner cell will be active initially. The leader of the squad walks through the outer grinder unmolested, triggers the pressure plate which activates a latching cell that turns the _outer_ grinder on and continues to blow apart in the inner grinder. The squad AI lets the squad walk up to the place immediately adjacent to the leader's last position but won't ever step into the tile. Not good when the leader inevitably gets killed on the first tile of the outer grinder. Now the rest of squad will happily walk into the originally-inactive outer grinder and gets splattered once the leader turns it on. The remaining issue is dealing with potential followers who made it to the tiles between first and second grinder. I installed a retracting bridge there, which should help a bit by tossing creatures around (hand-cranked).

It turned out i'd overlooked something obvious in the bigger project: critters will find a path through (6/7) water into your fort, but not through a tile covered in magma. That was sort of predictable, no? Anyway, they'll path through doors that open directly into magma, so it's not a real issue, i just needed to dig out one tile to the side and put another door there:

Massive percussion-based squad killer with magma trigger:

The corridor to the left is the main killing zone: 30 tiles, with powerless minecart thumpers above. Each cart (gold, loaded with stones) sits on top of a hatch cover until the trigger is set off - so the squad actually files into the corridor to get punched.

The trigger is that magma-filled tile surrounded by four doors. The doors to the north, east (recent necessary addition) and south are the path followed by the hapless victims - opening the first door already releases magma into the door jamb and onto whoever opened the door, incinerating them. Magma on the central tile falls to 4/7 or 3/7 within ten steps, triggering the pressure plate set to 0-4 magma. The pressure plate opens all the hatch covers, setting all the minecart thumpers into simultaneous motion.

I wasn't going to wait until winter to see it in action, so made a pure-testing spinoff copy of the save and unleashed that thing on the human caravan. Result: a ‼merchant‼ set off the fun and everyone in the corridor apart from that one human was thoroughly smashed by buggy hits through the floor from three-ton minecarts. Everyone, including the yaks (and the ‼yak‼, too). Two merchants of six hadn't reached the corridor yet, so turned tail and ran (although one lost her entire inventory to a retracting bridge hurling her yak around). The official test will have to wait for proper enemies, i need the caravan intact to lighten my load of x☼pig tail fibre socks☼x and *prepared meals*.

Linking thirty hatch covers to a single pressure plate was a massive pain, as was fiddling with the minecart-based trigger-refilling setup. It's completely overequipped for the boring shitty goblin tourists pretending to be sieges, but they're annoying enough to deserve every last ounce of ☼golden minecart☼ that's improperly hitting them.

By the way, a werebear snuck into the trading route, couldn't decide to harass the war animals pastured as buffer before the depot and was quickly chewed to bits after it returned to elven shape.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 02:29:46 pm by Larix »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42378 on: July 13, 2015, 02:27:42 pm »

Began my test fort of my mod before I release it, and named it Clubhonor, in honor of the fact I intend to issue a lead-cored steel mace to my commander, courtesy of my modding in the materials (with the values for blunt damage altered to reflect lead's superior bludgeoning potential.) I was going to give him a platinum-cored mace, but I screwed the pooch on giving the dorfs the reactions for making the platinum cored version of hammers and maces.

So far, all is well. We have food production buildings up, a fenced off cherry orchard that is also mercifully ripe with oat, rye, quinoa, and hemp, farm plots ready to receive seeds (unfortunately, the land is ill-suited to growing the tomatillos and passion fruits native to this civ's homeland,) bedrooms, and once the others are dug out, an actual dining hall. And it's only early summer!

We also spotted two kobolds, one of whom must've been a legendary craftsman or something. Good thing too, because the little shits probably wanted to nick our anvils. Fortune has also smiled on the site because in addition to bountiful food from the land, there's also fireclay, kaolinite, and coal. Hopefully there's some tetrahedrite or galena around here somewhere, because any raw recuits are going to be issued blunt weapons.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #42379 on: July 13, 2015, 02:45:48 pm »

Well, my champion is currently training to not be weighed so heavily down by his colossus bronze armour. Despite being a mighty vampire, his armour is weighing him down. Think of a suit of armour made of platinum. That's how heavy this is. After that's done, he'll be put to work killing off the several savage animal men that constantly come onto the map and cause problems, and maybe take out that group of ontos that I can't seem to cage trap.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42380 on: July 13, 2015, 03:34:14 pm »

A fire-breathing Titan made of brush.

Self-destructed (that isn't a long-lasting combo), but covered the entire map in fire and ash in the process.

(PS -- is there a way to stop a brush/forest fire once it's begun?)
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #42381 on: July 13, 2015, 03:42:44 pm »

1. DFhack in some rain.
2. Wait for the fire to burn itself out.
3. Wait for rain.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42382 on: July 13, 2015, 03:53:07 pm »

Nope. Constructed wooden walls will no more burn than constructed bauxite walls.

Ridiculous and nonsensical, and very, very DF.  Not sure why I'm even surprised.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42383 on: July 13, 2015, 04:00:51 pm »

Construction continues. Using Reveal, I have found the tetrahedrite I need to make bronze from apparent cassiterite the dig crew found while digging out the specialty kitchen, is about twice the fort's current distance down.

There's also a ton of nickel and gold ore. Not sure how to feel about the nickel ore.

Skribbblie

• Bay Watcher
  • Dlaglunkis slugutalbis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42384 on: July 13, 2015, 05:22:02 pm »

Not sure how to feel about the nickel ore.
It's magma-safe, at least.
I'm not really sure that maiming someone and forcing them to live with a crippling disability for your amusement can really be considered "merciful." Just sayin'.
Dwarven mercy.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42385 on: July 13, 2015, 05:38:09 pm »

Caravan came and went. Used two fo the four platinum bars from the one hunk of ore I brought for the weapons I can't make to buy some stuff, along with some stepladders, a door, two mechs, and a kobold's seax (Athel the woodworker killed one and managed to disarm the other before it escaped; turns out he wants to be a legendary warrior and has a sense of duty.)

It's a very strange day when a DF player finds himself putting an order in for freaking lead, among the usual stuff.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42386 on: July 13, 2015, 05:47:34 pm »

Wait, why?
One wheel short of a wagon

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42387 on: July 13, 2015, 05:52:05 pm »

Wait, why?

My mod includes three new materials - Strong steel (for better cutting weapons,) and lead/platinum-cored steel (for better blunt weapons.) There doesn't seem to be any galena, so I need to import lead to make lead-cored weaponry for my mace and hammerdorfs. Hopefully with the blunt-damage relevant data being copied from lead and platinum, it will be able to pulverise anything as a blunt weapon.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #42388 on: July 13, 2015, 05:57:52 pm »

so since actual coreing-mechanics aren't I place you moded a substitute?

is it lead+steel=cored alloy

or

lead+steel= cored weapon made of a cored alloy material
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42389 on: July 13, 2015, 06:07:25 pm »

so since actual coreing-mechanics aren't I place you moded a substitute?

is it lead+steel=cored alloy

or

lead+steel= cored weapon made of a cored alloy material

The reaction is in a custom shop that goes Steel bar + platinum/lead bar + fuel = platinum/lead-cored weapon, instead of receiving an alloyed bar. It's a placeholder, yeah, but it'll hopefully do the job of representing weighted steel maces and hammers. They aren't really meant to be melted down (because that's when it gets weird.) In effect, the weapon is made to order by a weaponsmith.

Should probably see about adding reactions to add decorations to the weapons too. That way I can give soldiers personalized weapons. :D

EDIT: A platinum-cored mace proved quite useful against our first credible threat, a troll.

It often takes a considerable amount of blunt force to kill a troll, and it only took one chipping hit and two follow up strikes for Col. Bembul to slay the beast. Much better than the usual performance.
Pages: 1 ... 2824 2825 [2826] 2827 2828 ... 3842