Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2822 2823 [2824] 2825 2826 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6119064 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #42345 on: July 10, 2015, 08:30:35 pm »

A log fell in a chicken. No damage done. A woodcutter just randomly hacked the shit out of the chicken. She's now in avian heaven.

Was the log inside the chicken to begin with, or did the log fall with such force so as to impale said chicken?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42346 on: July 10, 2015, 09:49:13 pm »

Elves are really poor climbers, especially if they are dragging their merchant animals with them over a river.
Also got the dwarf merchants whom I believe were being led by the general of the dwarven forces of my civ.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 11:00:26 pm by Aristion »
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42347 on: July 11, 2015, 08:47:27 am »

Hmpf. I'll have to reconfigure my surface-accessible grinder, because the current version's "if current path inside is harmful, reconsider" AI update just gets goblins stuck for months when their scout gets sprayed all over the floor. I'm not going to train a military/build an "alternative" trap path for a shitty fake siege of five crossbowgobbos. One of these dumb things is one too many, and we got _three_ (and in fact no other goblin activity so far).

Since the duke likes ballista parts so much, we stuck the parts together, smoothed the area, put a statue in and made it his personal statue garden. He was pleased "near his own completely sublime tastefully arranged siege engine" recently. He's the proud owner of five ballistae, and there'll be more in the future (if he keeps his mandating priorities in order).

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42348 on: July 11, 2015, 08:55:01 am »

Hey, just like my king. They're in his bedroom, facing his bed  :D.

Loaded.
One wheel short of a wagon

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #42349 on: July 11, 2015, 10:50:06 am »

I am slightly ashamed to admit it, but Ive never given minecarts more than a token attempt, making one to allow sand bags to go to an indoor smelter.

So now Im looking to establish a real one, using impulse ramps.  So excited.  This fort is the perfect place to try it, with use literall scattered all over the zlevel spectrum.

I also think I still frown upon the idea of automated defenses in the form of minecarts.  Dwarf power is best power.

-I have a topside farm/pasture/trade depot, and its accompanying room/board.
-I have a massive storage area in the marble flux layer.
-I have the jail/guard dorms and weavers at the first cavern
-I have the hospital/animal stockpile above the second cavern
-I have the masonry and the mason's room/board below the third cavern.
-I have the militiary rooms/pit between the 3rd cavern and the magma sea
-I have the nobles dorms in this neat inverse volcano in the magma sea.  Nothing like warm stone to ease their cool tempers
-I have the foundry at the magma sea.

So yea.  Besides being so spread out the foundry isnt getting supplies as fast as it could.  And everybody and their mother takes the stroll down there to get the newest *Armor Boot*, or haul the massive copper statue to its resting location.

----

Also, I found out that critters in seperate cages will reproduce if a suitable mate is within 1 tile of them.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 10:56:46 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42350 on: July 11, 2015, 12:04:57 pm »

i am building my enclosed battery of 9 wind mills & trying to house the population.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42351 on: July 11, 2015, 12:49:22 pm »

Minecarts are a great tool of cat population control. My fort gets two to three exploded kittens every year, simply because pets ignore traffic costs - the 5 per tile pathing cost automatically assigned to track keeps dwarfs away.

If you want to keep dwarfs out of the track, you can plug each end with a statue. Statues cannot be walked across, but minecarts can travel through them. You'll need to set the route to push or ride, of course. Yes, riding works; a dwarf in a minecart can ride through a statue or through unwalkable workshop tiles.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42352 on: July 11, 2015, 12:52:41 pm »

Giggity...!
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42353 on: July 11, 2015, 06:43:54 pm »

Rimclose was so insanely successful that after 10 years I retired it.  Despite it's occasional loss of half it's population, nothing could kill it.  :)  Love it when a fort works like that.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #42354 on: July 11, 2015, 07:35:13 pm »

Rimclose was so insanely successful that after 10 years I retired it.  Despite it's occasional loss of half it's population, nothing could kill it.  :)  Love it when a fort works like that.
Bastiongate is 33 years old and counting.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42355 on: July 11, 2015, 08:18:37 pm »

I just don't have the patience for 33 years.  After a while it just gets boring.  Goblins are a waste of time, and FBs are either immediately killable or they are so OP that there's no way (flying, stone and firebreathing or dusty, for example).  Once it's all set up and just ticking along... meh.

Walrusking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42356 on: July 11, 2015, 08:28:06 pm »

Plotting how to replace all the doors with floodgates, without having to manually command dwarves to pull the levers.

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
« Reply #42357 on: July 11, 2015, 08:30:09 pm »

Plotting how to replace all the doors with floodgates, without having to manually command dwarves to pull the levers.
Uhh...presure plates?

Walrusking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42358 on: July 11, 2015, 08:34:32 pm »

Uhh...presure plates?
... Ah. You're right. My mistake. Can I link multiple pressure plates to a floodgate?

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42359 on: July 11, 2015, 09:30:04 pm »

Uhh...presure plates?
... Ah. You're right. My mistake. Can I link multiple pressure plates to a floodgate?
Yes.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.
Pages: 1 ... 2822 2823 [2824] 2825 2826 ... 3842