Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2820 2821 [2822] 2823 2824 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6118851 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #42315 on: July 09, 2015, 05:22:38 pm »

While filling up the magma plumbing, we opened a shaft down to the depth of the third cavern, where the annoying pterosaurid forgotten beast was lurking. Magma fell directly on its head, it turned into a ‼forgotten beast‼ and burned for two weeks until it expired. The body is still burning and smoking. At least we should be able to repossess the first well and the grinder now.

Ah, magma... is there ANYTHING it can't solve?
Heart burn. But that's it.
Not true. If there's no heart to have heart burn, it's fixed. Therefore, magma can solve heart burn.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42316 on: July 09, 2015, 06:17:41 pm »

While filling up the magma plumbing, we opened a shaft down to the depth of the third cavern, where the annoying pterosaurid forgotten beast was lurking. Magma fell directly on its head, it turned into a ‼forgotten beast‼ and burned for two weeks until it expired. The body is still burning and smoking. At least we should be able to repossess the first well and the grinder now.

Ah, magma... is there ANYTHING it can't solve?
Heart burn. But that's it.
No no, it 'fixes' that too.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42317 on: July 09, 2015, 06:20:23 pm »

Rimclose has had a rocky couple of years.  Despite having rich deposits of iron, bituminous coal, dolomite and gold, it had an unfortunate habit of losing half of its population to wereanimals every three months or so.  Once the population stabilized, the hammer lord who came to be our salvation revealed himself as a vampire.  He is now on extended... um... "cavern patrol".  Luckily the rest of the militia has steel and silver weapons, steel armor and the leisure to train properly.

There is a Forgotten Beast haunting the well, luring people getting water down to their doom.  It's dusty, and in the water supply.

This is a cursed embark.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42318 on: July 09, 2015, 06:21:46 pm »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #42319 on: July 09, 2015, 06:34:35 pm »

One of the old Forgotten Beasts, Budam the corpse blob, she just disappeared. She lurked outside the magmaforge walls where in life she was shot down by marksdwarves and remained there for decades, just venting off noxious fumes. No one could recover her corpse so there she remained in the lake. Then I get the extremely startling discovery that a magma crab had been captured in the 3rd cavern layer platform to the magma sea, and noticed not only that - but Budam's corpse was gone and all that remained was a giant rattlesnake composed of grime and filth, that had been heavily damaged - one mandible torn off, its stinger smashed open, its body and head smashed open.
Seems like the poo snake had taken issue with poor old Budam, but that doesn't explain where her corpse went. Set on fire by the magma crab? Lost to the magma sea? It'll remain a mystery.
Also of note is that several forgotten beasts have also commenced a joint attack on the surface world, two fliers, one with webs and one with poisonous blood, and ground forgotten beast webber has also joined them. Around 30 elite warriors, most of them marksdwarves, have been tasked with repelling them.
The ground beast is breaking through the 3rd layer platform, the six-legged pangolin is flying and the blood beast is licking the honey from the former bee prisons. This should be doable. On the bright side surface construction has resumed, the wall spikes are a few years away from completion and the Fort's first siege engineers are being trained for the up and coming war.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #42320 on: July 09, 2015, 07:02:18 pm »

Let me tell you the story about how all my recruits pussed out and ran from a a battle at the Trade Depot, leaving my vets hopelessly outnumbered and stuck in miasma so I couldnt even see them die.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #42321 on: July 09, 2015, 07:09:19 pm »

Well, that was slightly disturbing. When the Dwarven children finished deconstructing some old wall to make way for renovations to fit in the new ballista a pig skeleton fell through from the upper floors into the corridor below. I'm not sure how it got there, how long it's been there or how I never noticed it until now...

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
« Reply #42322 on: July 09, 2015, 07:34:40 pm »

Started a fortress with the Dark Ages mod. So far, my legendary dwarves are proving to be quite the badass type. A miner just punched a Great Alligator to death and a Mason did the same thing with a Great Warthog.

lionstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42323 on: July 09, 2015, 07:41:55 pm »

Got my first artifact pickaxe today. Made of donkey bone, encircled with bands of wood and donkey bone. The dwarf that made it is now churning out masterwork figurines depicting goblins getting mauled by giant lions. Maybe I can set them up by the front gate to scare away the ambush that is no doubt going to hit me soon.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42324 on: July 09, 2015, 07:49:02 pm »

So the vampire hammer lord on cavern patrol earned the right to eat again.  He single-handedly beat the crap out of the FB that was terrorizing the well.  Here, have a hauler.  You're welcome.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42325 on: July 09, 2015, 09:49:24 pm »

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
« Reply #42326 on: July 10, 2015, 12:21:49 am »

Still playing the Dark Ages mod. Two lesser wendigos just came out from the mountains and slaughtered every single dwarf and my livestock (My owls :( ). I will now reclaim the fortress and avenge my owls!

NO ONE TOUCHES MY OWLS

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #42327 on: July 10, 2015, 12:36:22 am »

A giant eagle just saved my fort. A minotaur was on site, I was hoping it'd be a roc or dragon cave, but nope, an ettin. It started charging at my dwarves, only one was a warrior, with a bronze axe, copper shield, bronze helm and chain mail shirt, and five wolverine leather cloaks. He wouldn't have been able to beat it. Suddenly, a giant eagle landed on the tile beside it, going into combat with it. After suffering a few bruises from punches, it dodged a goring attack and charged the minotaur, somehow knocking it down and slamming it against a tree. That knocked it out, and I sent my axeman to finish the job. This axe now has a minotaur and giant eagle kill to it's name, within the first minute of gameplay.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42328 on: July 10, 2015, 05:26:03 am »

Started a new fortress in df2012. At embark, I discovered that flux stone is a fabled item in this world, completely unheard of. I went ahead and embarked, figuring a fluxless embark might be an interesting challenge. Then I discovered that not only was the soil all surface soil, but that there were no seeds for this area. We survived the first year, but this is going to be really interesting until I can flood a room with my 5 levels of water to have some kind of farming going on. Weee!
I had one get happy again... After producing a bed made from their own husband's body.
I once  had a fort called paddledbottom in the plains of spanking founded by the painful punishment
And so, in a thread about cointainers with usele

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42329 on: July 10, 2015, 05:29:29 am »

Gah! Outside of modding, is there any way I can use up these stupid feathers and chitin? (Rhetorical question, pretty sure there isn't, but would like to know if you find an answer.)

Anyway, drop room seems to be finally proceeding. A few casualties, but at least we know it works.
One wheel short of a wagon
Pages: 1 ... 2820 2821 [2822] 2823 2824 ... 3842