Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2818 2819 [2820] 2821 2822 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6118697 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #42285 on: July 07, 2015, 01:44:58 am »

Got a great stonecrafter in the first migrant wave, which is great. He's currently in the mining division, however, to get stones for his work. Man, an 8x8 map provides so much resources, I've got so much room to work with. I'm going to floor over a large portion of the map, and build a massive fortress that extends between human and dwarven influence. It will see a large portion be above ground and another below, with the king/mayor/whoever is in the top noble position sleeping at the highest peak, and having a huge statue garden as the entrance, with several doors on the sides leading to different sections of the fortress, with little courtyards here and there that house small statue gardens. Slabs will be put in the largest courtyard, and coffins in the deepest part of the fortress, which will extend down with ramps instead of stairs into the caverns. Certain people, such as the great stone crafter, will get rooms in the second and third floors of the fortress, with slightly important people like clothiers getting above ground homes, the rest having to make due with the underground dormitories. I'm thinking of making the fortress encompass ten z-levels total, four above ground, minus the towers, and six below. The nearby river will run through a courtyard at one point, with a tower overlooking it. Six towers, two at the front, two at each upper corner, and two in the middle-sides. A wall will surround the entire fortress, with a large drawbridge with it's own statue procession leading up to it, all made from platinum, with the gate itself being steel, the walls around it gold. Because of the river, we can easily afford to build a moat. This may be my best project yet, and I'll have a max of 60 dwarves regularity, with ten of those being in a near-constant military, and twenty more being in a weaker version of the military. After the initial mining, there'll only be six miners and one wood cutter, leaving a good portion of the population to be military ready. I will clear as much of the caverns as I can, and prepare for sieges, forgotten beasts, semi and megabeasts, titans, and anything else the rng throws my way. My main military will be armoured in iron, with imported steel, colossus bronze, and burning steel for weaponry. After the weaponry is finished, then the spare steel, colossus bronze, and burning steel will be put towards armour for my best soldiers. I'm going to try to resist candy's sweet siren song, but with a map this large, there'll be a LOT of it. Crystal glass windows will be for the nobles, gem windows for the great craftsmen, probably ruby-sapphire-amethyst windows. Wooden shields, bronze helms, mail shirts, and weapons, as well as leather layers will be given to all important craftsmen, with bronze spears/swords, wooden shields, bronze helmets, and leather layers given to the rest. Eventually I'll raise the population cap to 100. Those extra 40 dwarves will be put into four squads, one spear, one sword, one hammer, one axe, and prepared to fight for their kingdom. They'll do nothing but fight, expected to give their lives any time.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42286 on: July 07, 2015, 02:26:14 am »

I noticed massive amounts of furniture in the stockpiles, so I have begun designating dining rooms in the completed mining shafts, giving my engravers practice smoothing each of the rooms. The use of drained out beyond of ore has given the effect of a random and natural feel to the rooms. I will continue until all dwarves have their own room, commissioning more tables, chairs, statutes and doors as necessary.

Edit: the merchants left with figurines the duchess wanted and more than 20 dwarves were killed in the ensuing punishments.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 04:47:11 am by sculleywr »
I had one get happy again... After producing a bed made from their own husband's body.
I once  had a fort called paddledbottom in the plains of spanking founded by the painful punishment
And so, in a thread about cointainers with usele

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
« Reply #42287 on: July 07, 2015, 01:12:57 pm »

Weregilla Monster attack! Two dwarves were slain, but none was bitten, thankfully.

UPDATE: A cat also died. You can see his teeth and body on the moat...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 01:19:48 pm by Magnumcannon »

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42288 on: July 07, 2015, 02:17:23 pm »

Who would have thought that our own bowyer was of royal blood? The caravan came to our duchy, beating news of the untimely death of our king, and joyous tidings that our own Unib Arroserush was to become the Queen of the realm! Construction of individual housing has come to a halt as the construction of our new Queen's lavish house has begun. Each room will be decorated with 8 golden statues, golden armor stands, masterwork furniture, and engravings from our nationally acclaimed artists, displaying images of the short, but storied history of our people.

However, work is expected to be slowing soon as the duchess has ordered the beating and hammering of several dwarves who ignored her mandated ban on figurine exports. But, with over 100 dwarves, this will be but a slight inconvenience, and the hammerer is known for allowing many to plead to a lighter jail term sentence when the cells are empty. This is most fortuitous as it has saved the life of our Queen in the past as she inadvertently hauled a bin carrying figurines to the trading Post in the last caravan.

Edit: after further discussion with the new Queen, she insisted that we use lead for the furniture, and gingko wood for the bed. She also mandated the construction of crossbows, which she promptly began to construct. I do love when a noble fulfills her own desires
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 02:29:22 pm by sculleywr »
I had one get happy again... After producing a bed made from their own husband's body.
I once  had a fort called paddledbottom in the plains of spanking founded by the painful punishment

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42289 on: July 07, 2015, 03:10:47 pm »

Just started a new game and 7 dwarves embarked to their new home, Diamondsquash. Their dwarven civilization is called The Submerged Gate and the group of these 7 dwarves is called The Responsible Gate. I hope they know what they are doing when they are playing with gates.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42290 on: July 07, 2015, 06:08:55 pm »

Flood the fort with lava and blame the nobility. Call it lavagate

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42291 on: July 07, 2015, 06:53:22 pm »

I'll do that towards the end of the fort.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #42292 on: July 07, 2015, 07:38:20 pm »

My first 40.xx siege!  A full 12 attackers came on site and I closed my untamed desert/evil mountains fortress off from the topside world, stranding a yak bull and something else we hadnt goteen around to murderizing yet out while my forces gathered from their scattered locations into the sand barracks.

So while the gobos came over a mountain range and almost their maximum travel distance to get here, they didnt bring the punch.  But thats okay.  We long ago harvested anything useful from the surface and moved underground, occupying the 3rd caverns and mamgma sea mostly.  The desert doesnt typically spawn anything worse than a giant bark scorpion and the mountains rain blister causing syndrome.

Anywho, I let all my dwarves stand out in the sun and they painted the sand green.  I recalled them inside.  :|  lul cave sickness.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42293 on: July 07, 2015, 08:25:05 pm »

I laughed.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42294 on: July 08, 2015, 05:52:53 am »

Udil beltlashed, the migrant just arrived. 84 years old, she's a high master gelder, as well as a proficient engraver and a competent thresher and mechanic. She must have made some odd career choices, then.

EDIT: 140 people, with a King, and apparently we're only a metropolis, not a mountainhome! Gah!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 05:54:59 am by NJW2000 »
One wheel short of a wagon

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42295 on: July 08, 2015, 12:35:24 pm »

I laughed.

I have achieved my dream of making it into a signature on Twelve bay!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #42296 on: July 08, 2015, 01:15:59 pm »

My first 40.xx siege!  A full 12 attackers came on site and I closed my untamed desert/evil mountains fortress off from the topside world, stranding a yak bull and something else we hadnt goteen around to murderizing yet out while my forces gathered from their scattered locations into the sand barracks.

So while the gobos came over a mountain range and almost their maximum travel distance to get here, they didnt bring the punch.  But thats okay.  We long ago harvested anything useful from the surface and moved underground, occupying the 3rd caverns and mamgma sea mostly.  The desert doesnt typically spawn anything worse than a giant bark scorpion and the mountains rain blister causing syndrome.

Anywho, I let all my dwarves stand out in the sun and they painted the sand green.  I recalled them inside.  :|  lul cave sickness.
I took on the 12 gobbos just now.  we lost 6 dwarves in the clash (1 baby), and took another 4 casualties.  1 dog also died.  The survivors are pissed about being in the sunlight and seeing their friends die and taking minor wounds.  But looking over the units and logs I found that several are now semi-hardened and I got a pretty cool log from my militia captain.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

She had terrify cast upon her as the battle commenced, and was gashed in the neck early.  But she managed to get back on her feet and kill a few after overcoming her fear in more than just word.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42297 on: July 08, 2015, 01:28:32 pm »

Undead siege! The necromancers left the map, but the zombies just marched towards my fortress. Some of them got inside my fortress and i sent my millitary. I will tell how the fall of Greencrafts was later...

LockeTalks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42298 on: July 08, 2015, 02:22:20 pm »

Urist McMiner: The caravan is here! At last, we shall have steel with which to forge true armor! Seeds to plant in the fungus farms! And all the other goods we cannot make ourselves! Make haste, Good Broker-Dwarf! Our salvation is at hand!

Urist McBroker: Not now, I'm on break.

Urist McMiner: But we--

Urist McBroker: ON BREAK ON BREAK ON BREAK!

--Imagined Conversations from The Cave of Lulling

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42299 on: July 08, 2015, 02:29:51 pm »

Well, shit, the entire millitary is dead, most of the livestock is dead, a baby is dead, my watchcat is dead, there's a goblin zombie heading towards my fort and i ain't doin' shit about it. Let the fun begin...
Pages: 1 ... 2818 2819 [2820] 2821 2822 ... 3842