Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2817 2818 [2819] 2820 2821 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6118894 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #42270 on: July 06, 2015, 03:12:09 am »

Just threw him up against two blind cave ogres, it wasn't pretty for either side. He started stabbing into the upper body of the first cave ogre, pierced a lung, and then pulled out, cutting off the ogre's head while only receiving some bruising. Then somehow, the second one got a hold of a wooden spear, which did some damage to my champion's cheek. with a spear lodged in his face, he stabbed the cave ogre in it's right upper arm, his longsword getting stuck in it. A shaft smack destroyed his other cheek, while the cave ogre just got the flat of a blade upside his head. The cave ogre started wrestling, and after many failed grip breaks, he started choking my champion, only to release his hold soon after. After another wooden spear stab, which my champion dodged, he cut the spear arm clean off. A few minutes of hilt smashing later and the skull caved in, my champion had beaten these menaces. Maybe I'll have him get rid of those annoying trolls a cavern layer down next, or have him assist the GCS clearing on the first layer.

In other news: The aboveground city is well under way, with ten dwarves always doing construction. Two miners are working on the 3 z-layer ditch, which will be filled with water via bucket brigade. Basements are being smoothed under each buildings right now, as I've cleared away most of the dirt layers through channeling, except a little up in the top corner around the river. My regular military is currently making a push through the huge herds of troglodytes that keep wandering in, this place has an infection with them. I got a forgotten beast that was easily handled, a massive skinless bat with a thirst for blood. Nice try, Dracula. Those little tunnels between each cavern layer have been sealed off, and I'm soon to square off each cavern layer and put small village structures in them. My champion is spelunking in the second cavern layer, killing anything he sees. Except the friendly ant men. They're permanent residents, and are on my patrol routes for protection.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42271 on: July 06, 2015, 03:35:16 am »

The main problem with such a short history is that none of my artifacts show anything aside from one elf getting cooked, then gored, then torn in two by a dragon. While there is nothing wrong with the evisceration of the hippies, I'm getting bored.
I had one get happy again... After producing a bed made from their own husband's body.
I once  had a fort called paddledbottom in the plains of spanking founded by the painful punishment
And so, in a thread about cointainers with usele

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42272 on: July 06, 2015, 06:03:10 am »

Zoniden has had the first case of justice. Our milker attacked a carpenter, and the hammerer dispatched a wrestler to punish him. He attempted a kick, which the milker tried to block, and watched horrified as his hand exploded in gore. Now both the milker and his victim lie in the beds in the hospital awaiting treatment

Also, trade with the humans has made me feel sorry for their enemies. Hundreds of masterwork crossbows and thousands of equally well crafted bolts have made it such that I have a surplus of weaponry for sale. I am now the weapons dealer of the world.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 06:14:08 am by sculleywr »
I had one get happy again... After producing a bed made from their own husband's body.
I once  had a fort called paddledbottom in the plains of spanking founded by the painful punishment

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42273 on: July 06, 2015, 08:41:23 am »

Biteseals has had a rough time of it.  First the werebadger came, and killed off all but 3 dwarves before being killed.

A year passed, and the militia was starting to get on its feet (nothing but tetra and candy on this map).  Then...

The werecamel came, and killed all but 3 dwarves.  Watching them scurry around for a season and a half making and filling coffins was depressing.  I think the worst thing is that the camel's real name was "the human Ote Boottook the Defended Order of Periwinkles".  Flower power killed my fort.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 09:16:46 am by Iamblichos »
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42274 on: July 06, 2015, 09:50:57 am »

Not sure if things have changed, but it had been a while since I had a fort in an "evil cloud" area.  Now the clouds seem to leave piles of dust behind, which I don't remember them doing.  It basically turns the whole surface into a deathtrap.  Is this new?

It's not new; you probably just never encountered it before because not all clouds leave physical contaminants behind.

My dorfs stopped their wagon in a pass between two peaks of the mountain that dominates the map. It'll take some clever landscaping, but in a few years, the dwarven road and trading post here will be the only way to cross the mountain without a lengthy detour.

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
« Reply #42275 on: July 06, 2015, 11:18:14 am »

A fisherdwarf was stung by a honey bee. No wounds.

For some reason, a miner ran to the rescue and carried the fisherdwarf straight to the hospital bed.

As soon the fisherdwarf was in the hospital, she quickly got up and went fishing.

I have no idea what happened there, but sure it was amusing.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42276 on: July 06, 2015, 05:31:05 pm »

Has anyone ever seen an 82-z first cavern layer before? I think it might be a record for vanilla DF... seems to cover quite large sections of this world, as well, and it's pissing me off because it takes up so damn much space. Impossible to navigate for basically any dwarf who isn't a master climber.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42277 on: July 06, 2015, 05:34:21 pm »

Wow. You got a volcano on the map? Might solve navigation problems.
One wheel short of a wagon

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #42278 on: July 06, 2015, 05:35:40 pm »

Decided that place wasn't cool or big enough. Going to embark on a map with at least three different environments, all savage, 8x8-10x10 size. Hoping to get mostly flat, but some hills would be good too.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42279 on: July 06, 2015, 05:39:23 pm »

Wow. You got a volcano on the map? Might solve navigation problems.

Maybe one. I'm not sure. I've lost track of what maps I've generated and which ones I've duplicated, so I don't think I can check.

It goes from z4 to z86. The other two cavern layers are crammed in below that, then there's the magma sea and a few layers of the circus. There are ramp pathways through parts of it, but I'd wager not all of it is accessible from every other part. I put a few kittens in there and they wandered around exploring until a forgotten beast showed up, and they didn't explore all of it.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42280 on: July 06, 2015, 05:55:55 pm »

The fortress of Zoniden has declared war on the elves, massacring their diplomat and merchants after they objected to our trade offer. They got what they deserved

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
« Reply #42281 on: July 06, 2015, 05:57:33 pm »

Now there are two dead fisherdwarves. The cause, you ask? Not the troglodytes, not the giant frogs, not the sharks, not the constant jaguars or dingoes. Both died due to the same Monitor Lizard. Both bites to the neck.

I also caught a giant olm and two troglodytes. I don't know what to do with them, but with the constant troglodytes spawning, i might create a troglodyte pit of some sort. Yeah, a troglodyte pit...

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #42282 on: July 06, 2015, 08:49:23 pm »

My second S7 miner organized a party in the dining hall that was occupied by my insane first S7 miner.  Given that there are like 7 of the things and a few statues, I'm skeptical what he was doing throwing a party for a babbling lunatic.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

bananaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42283 on: July 07, 2015, 12:24:43 am »

I'm currently churning out lots of mechanisms and rhyolite blocks for a large dam. It is going to be 17z tall, span 74 tiles, and 26 tiles thick. It is going to have a powerplant to let me bring magma up from the deep, and many floodgates so I can empty the reservoir at will. It will fill up all the way, due to a 17 z-level waterfall along the course of the river being damed. Unfortunately, this embark is below freezing for 3/4 of the year, so it will take ages to fill up.

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42284 on: July 07, 2015, 01:04:17 am »

Mining progresses slowly, but thoroughly. Our miners dig up every ore, gem, and economic stone they find, making certain to leave none behind before proceeding to the next level. They also are given priorities so that, if there  no accessible ore to be dug, they plumb the next level's exploratory shafts. The prospectors claimed the area was rich in flux stone. I hope that I will find it before the caverns.
Pages: 1 ... 2817 2818 [2819] 2820 2821 ... 3842