Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2815 2816 [2817] 2818 2819 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6118937 times)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #42240 on: July 03, 2015, 02:25:52 am »

wait what

why do you have ettins as liaisons

Camulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42241 on: July 03, 2015, 07:36:51 am »

Oh that happened afterwards
Ettin diplomats would be cool thougdoublespeak

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42242 on: July 03, 2015, 09:45:34 am »

A massive group of 18 jungle horrors descended upon the fortress, and the militia mobilized to face them.

In the chaos of the attack, a fisherdwarf was beaten to death with his own glove, Speardwarf Solon being tasked with avenging the slain dwarf. A high master leatherworker, a valuable asset to the fortress military, was also seriously injured. The beast has become known as "Bentsect," and will be immortalized once slain as the killer of a dwarf.

It also seems we have someone who, while not exceptional in any other areas, devoted all their solo drills to learning their weapon so well they are now a sword master. The horrors and elves will fear them.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42243 on: July 03, 2015, 10:05:35 am »

Third year attack, another ten goblins and a small contigent of cave dragons. Also, one of my wrestlers is kicking ass.

Needless to say, the goblin is already dead.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #42244 on: July 03, 2015, 12:34:23 pm »

Well, an ambush showed up... And everyone started dropping babies. Eight babies were born within a minute of the ambush coming.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Iban

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42245 on: July 03, 2015, 01:51:48 pm »

I'm in an evil tundra that is so immensely difficult, it rains perpetually a "stinking muck" that causes heavy bruising just from standing in it - but then the creature dies. I have no idea what the actual cause of death is. They are covered in muck and their own pus as a corpse, but I don't see what actually kills them.

So I'm stuck here wondering .. is this the muck itself? Does the bruising kill them? It has to be the muck, because the pus is the result of a syndrome. Maybe it melts flesh?

The result is the same. Most of my supplies are above ground. I've forbidden them and set restricted upon the entire top floor, and where the muck has seaped into the base.

My primary concern here is that this will affect trade horribly because the caravaneers will die upon entering the map. Same with migrants.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 01:55:49 pm by Iban »

Iban

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42246 on: July 03, 2015, 02:18:02 pm »

So I decided to follow around some Elk that spawned naturally on the surface amidst the muck.

They followed the normal pattern but I managed to catch a glimpse of one mid-death. This elk is "Shaken to its core!", which I assume is a fear token. It has sustained bruises on every imaginable part of its body. Its status screen lists yellow for most parts, and light blue for one of its eyes. It's also blinking "X" for Winded, which I assume means it's losing respiratory function.

As I toggle between pauses to check its status, it's not sustaining damage on any more parts, but it is gaining more yellow. Its left eye, for instance, is now also yellow instead of light blue. After it dies, it's coated in stinking muck and pus.

The rest of the herd collapsed all at once. They all have similar injuries. One sustained spinal injuries. Another had kidney injuries. They all begin to get pus as coatings before they die. They die at different times, usually very quickly after they begin to become winded. The only parts of the body that don't become injured are their hoofs, which is probably because of the material. I also have Giant Beetles because of my mod, and I believe they are the only things to experience contact with the muck and survive. I'm pretty sure that's thanks to their exoskeleton.

So, conclusion: The skies above my fort bleed ooze that melts flesh.

Edit: 100% causalities first migration wave.  There is no salvation from this red death.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 02:39:01 pm by Iban »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42247 on: July 03, 2015, 03:23:16 pm »

The muck isn't melting flesh. It's basically pummeling your dwarves to death.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42248 on: July 03, 2015, 03:47:37 pm »

I successfully finished my go at the 2D version - just built a fort and kept digging east until we hit the eerie pit and spirits of fire popped up and burned everybody. That took several years and we had over 70 dwarfs before everything was done; i'm not entirely certain, but i think the magma river really needed a steel bridge to cross, and getting enough steel bars took a good while.

- never worked out proper irrigation, just used the spring floods
- kept scraping by on food and drink
- didn't get a wagon-capable connection for traders. Cue caravans bringing something like 20 plump helmets and 15 wheels of cheese, nothing else.
- completely failed to get anything military working

+ survived for three years or so
+ built most workshop types at least once
+ triggered a too-large-open-space cave in
+ nobody starved or dehydrated
+ everybody burned

a rousing success. That's enough for DF 2D.

bananaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42249 on: July 03, 2015, 04:29:44 pm »

I'm recreating an extinct dwarven civilization. I was attacked by a wereiguana and I have no military. 4 dwarves were infected, and I'm quarantining them before they change in 7 days.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42250 on: July 03, 2015, 06:49:34 pm »

I'm recreating an extinct dwarven civilization. I was attacked by a wereiguana and I have no military. 4 dwarves were infected, and I'm quarantining them before they change in 7 days.

Or, since you already have so many werebeasts of the same variety, you could become the wereiguana fort.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42251 on: July 04, 2015, 06:17:42 am »

Ima settling inside the first cavern. Spent most of the first year working on a natural cave so the wagons can access the first cavern. (The cavern stair is a minor setback).

The good thing is that I embarked on a joyous wilds biome (and i never ever embark on good biomes) so I have sun berries AND whip vine. I think i'ma make a digging project so sunlight reaches the caverns and I can grow them here.

Also setting the fort inside the first cavern is Fun. One giant toad killed one of my dwarves, and I ain't finished with my fortification system. There are dead rotting gorlaks in the cavern access as well. Must build defenses ! I'm not even sure if I will be ready for the first forgotten beast.

Also 10 dwarves ain't enough. So much stuff to do, mostly moving my temporary stockpiles 30z down.

Really standard fortresses are easymode. Human-style outside fortresses are better, so are embarking on caverns.

Hell, embarking on the third cavern level must be excessively Fun. You just have to play very carefully and pray to Armok so he doesn't generate hungry heads/a cave dragon too early.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 06:21:31 am by Naryar »

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42252 on: July 04, 2015, 06:38:59 am »

Not sure if things have changed, but it had been a while since I had a fort in an "evil cloud" area.  Now the clouds seem to leave piles of dust behind, which I don't remember them doing.  It basically turns the whole surface into a deathtrap.  Is this new?
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

nimbus25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42253 on: July 04, 2015, 07:51:59 am »

Decided to check out legends mode, and the entity with the most kills (by far) was a Demon, who was leading a Goblin Civ. Born in -194, he killed 134 different creatures in his lifetime, before getting killed by... a Jabberer? Apparently the demon led an attack (he did that a lot) on a Dwarven Civ, who had 5 Jabberers on their side. No clue how or why.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42254 on: July 04, 2015, 07:56:36 am »

Decided to check out legends mode, and the entity with the most kills (by far) was a Demon, who was leading a Goblin Civ. Born in -194, he killed 134 different creatures in his lifetime, before getting killed by... a Jabberer? Apparently the demon led an attack (he did that a lot) on a Dwarven Civ, who had 5 Jabberers on their side. No clue how or why.

Someone must've tamed them. Dwarves don't do it anywhere near as often, but sometimes you'll see historic events of the general or some other person going into the wilderness to bring back animals for the civ. One time I had a dwarf general who managed to domesticate elephants.

Bentsect, Slyquest, Acheclimate.

These beasts will be remembered as the killer of the child Urdim, the Wrestler Cog, and the Fisherdwarf Nish. 18 jungle horror onslaught has left these three dead, but hopefully in the future, the addition of an armed patrol ranger squad will reduce the number of losses next time.

Construction of fortifications is also slow, as I'm very reluctant to fell the trees that provide most of our alcohol base.
Pages: 1 ... 2815 2816 [2817] 2818 2819 ... 3842