Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2812 2813 [2814] 2815 2816 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6119035 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #42195 on: July 01, 2015, 02:24:26 am »

It's worked for me to mix them.

Same here. Only the crossbow dwarves equipped quivers and loaded up on ammo.

I've never been able to get them to equip ammo right when I try it. Dunno why, but then I haven't tried that since once or twice last version and probably forgot or did something wrong.

It still doesn't seem like a good idea all the same. Marksmen aren't supposed to be stuck in with the regular troops (which in this instance they very well could be by the sound of it, unless you really like to micro your soldiers.) It would probably be better to have them in thier own units with lighter gear, since it seems lower encumbrance = higher rate of fire and therefor more bolts sticking out of bad guys. Otherwise at least give the dude an actual melee weapon as as secondary for when he pisses away all his ammo mid-battle, unless the axedwarf crossbowdwarf thing meant they were supposed to be the same dude.

I just woke up though, so meh.

Decided to fire up my Elf War test fort, and so far things are going well. It's been a week or two since I played and I've honestly... Well, forgot what I was doing besides moving furniture into the quarters and digging out a jail. Shouldn't be too hard to get back into the swing of things.

And damn is that a lot of rats.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42196 on: July 01, 2015, 02:53:45 am »

Having them mixed in with melee troops provides a moving shield wall, preventing them from being taken out by enemy crossbow lords, who can shoot through fortifications. That said, the same can be accomplished with separate squads that are moved together, which prevents marksdwarves from getting to the battle too far ahead of their melee compatriots.

On a sidenote, does equipping melee weapons actually work these days on marksdwarves? I remember people trying to get that to work in previous versions to no avail.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 03:06:05 am by VerdantSF »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42197 on: July 01, 2015, 03:00:24 am »

Having them mixed in with melee troops provides a moving shield wall, preventing them from being taken out by enemy crossbow lords, who can shoot through fortifications. That said, the same can be accomplished with separate squads that are moved together, which prevents marksdwarves from getting to the battle too far ahead of their melee compatriots.

On a sidenote, does equipping melee weapons actually work these days on marksdwarves? I remember people trying to get that to work in previous versions to no avail.

If i needed to deal with cowardly mounts I'd usually do that, or otherwise try to get them where they could cut off the enemy (they'd run right into a firing line while trying to flee,) although one time a marksdwarf got jumped and he punched the dude hard enough to cave in his head through his helmet. Just dodge, counter, dead invader.

No idea on if it works. I never tried in the current version. I know the biggest problem was something along the lines of them either not holding pack when assigned the crossbow as the secondary (running in and getting killed,) or not using thier secondary often enough when it was assigned if they got into melee (they'd prioritize shooting over melee, getting killed as a result or not contributing to a melee very much.)

Since I lack iron bars, I've opted to put billion bars in my jail instead. I also noticed I have two fisherdwarves and nobody cleaning fish. I've started expanding food production to fix this. No sign of the enemy yet, but that's fine. My cow herd, small as it is, can continue to graze in peace.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42198 on: July 01, 2015, 03:04:49 am »

Well, no time like the present to test this out :)! I'm just waiting on some random wildlife to show up.

*Edit*

Still doesn't work :(. The first weapon equipped is still the one used to the exclusion of the other.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 03:50:05 am by VerdantSF »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42199 on: July 01, 2015, 03:44:03 am »

Fulin the kobold inaugurated the fortress in it's second year. The Militia commander managed to (just barely,) catch him and bludgeoned the poor thing into mush with his mace. This has lead to the "Death's Shed" being built - A siltstone shed for the express use of keeping dead sentients out of sight of merchants. The region-loyal elves have arrived as well, and while they had little to trade, I was generous to encourage more exotic fruits to flow here.

Billion draw bridges are being put in place, and I'll need to build a control station for them, and the militia has been equipped with some copper hauberks and kettle helms along with thier leather combat boots and scale armor; more than sufficient against the likes of the outlander, outcast, and insurgent elves. Hopefully I'll be able to get some iron or steel from home before I have to contend with the high elves.

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42200 on: July 01, 2015, 04:39:24 am »

I captured a Troglodite; so I decided to sacrifice it to Amok and gave my military their first live training, which for me is an accomplishment because I'm bad at military.

I almost feel sorry for it. It didn't even land a hit and my Milita Commander was particularly brutal. And this is a female peasant I drafted. Who's 25. And already a Lv 6 Axedwarf.

I mean seriously. She first cuts off the leg one of her three underlings failed to; then cuts off it's OTHER leg as if to show them how it's done; slices it's stomach open and then; then it's legless and with it's guts all over the ground; finally beheads it in a single blow.

Not sure of Steel is that awesome [Never had it before] or my Milita Commander is a sadistic badass. Speaking of; she attacked 4 times and the three others combined only attacked 5 times. 4 attacks for 3 other dwarves getting 5?

Also my Mayor is complaining he slept in an 'awful bedroom' despite being assigned a perfectly good one for him. He just decided to sleep somewhere else.

Edit: Just saw a fishery worker carrying a massive I. Checked the lists. Seems he found the chitin of that moth FB who got it's neck and head broken by Troglodites; it succumbed to it's wounds. It's filled with it's extract; and is apparently... -16 degrees?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 05:41:03 am by Raikaria »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42201 on: July 01, 2015, 05:17:05 am »

Unarmored things tend to not hold up well to any metal unless they're about the size of a troll or bigger. I've had copper and silver have similar effects on trogs and the like.

Also, it seems my attempt to have dwarves that fully hate the invading elves with every fiber of thier being was a success.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42202 on: July 01, 2015, 05:34:39 am »

Unarmored things tend to not hold up well to any metal unless they're about the size of a troll or bigger. I've had copper and silver have similar effects on trogs and the like.

Also, it seems my attempt to have dwarves that fully hate the invading elves with every fiber of thier being was a success.

So, did you put [VERMIN_HATEABLE] on the elf creature description ?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42203 on: July 01, 2015, 05:38:06 am »

So, did you put [VERMIN_HATEABLE] on the elf creature description ?

Yuppers. Also, thanks to the help of the modding boards, my Jungle Horrors now work wonderfully.

Ten of them in all showed up, one raged and proceeded to seriously injure two dwarves in very short order (crippling one with a motor nerve injury in her foot, and breaking all the bones in a miner's legs.) Only the fact the militia was on station right above and another miner happened to be coming in from moving recently arrived cow during the attack saved the workers.

A new squad is being raised and equipped. Right now we only have a spare axehammer a migrant worker brought, a copper hewing spear, and Fulin's iron Seax to arm them with. We have to kill these things ASAP before they run across the cattle herds (expanded by migration to include a breeding pair of horses and several reindeer.)

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42204 on: July 01, 2015, 06:02:39 am »

SIEGE!

Only 2 years in as well. It's not massive [2 Bowmen; 1 Crossbowman; 3 Spearmen; 2 Pikes; 1 Sword and 1 Mace]; however my military is only 5 Dwarves with Steel Gauntlets; Shields; War Axes and Helms. No actual body armor yet.

I got everyone inside in time; but my Guard Dogs just got butchered. I have a lot more dogs so this hardly matters; their job is just spotting Thieves and the like.

I'm confident if I can finish outfitting my military I can handle this; but while I've found Iron it's not in great abundance, and my Steel production is therefor going somewhat slowly. Not too sure however about how well a bunch of mostly rookie Dwarves and their Milita Commander who has some combat skill will fare against this; even with Steel.

I've also never survived a Seige/broken one at all; and this is my first in DF2014. I can survive underground fine right now, I *do* have everything I need. Food; Pig Tails and an above-ground walled part of the fort for cloth; the caverns have trees...

Just hope the grazer pets getting shot isn't taken too hard.

Also the complete lack of any -lord level Goblin and any mounts; together with overall small ambush-like numbers makes me think this might actually be a Goblin Bandit Siege.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 06:10:11 am by Raikaria »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42205 on: July 01, 2015, 06:12:38 am »

Hmm. 10 men. Take stock of where the enemy is. Let a few get captured on those traps, maybe set up a kill zone with a drawbridge (a few trickle in, close, and dispatch.) If your men have enough basic skill (3+) then they should be able to take the enemy down if you can keep them broken up somehow.

Even something as simple as a corner or using animals to draw some off can make a world of difference, plus some of them are bound to flee at first contact if you take a few down beforehand.

A jungle horror tried to steal my swordsdwarf's scale armor. He didn't appreciate having his shirt stolen, and due to being lung-punched, flew into a rage and removed the offending Horror's neck. He'll need some stitches on his arm, but thankfully they didn't all rage at once, letting us take them on. A carpenter also followed the troops into battle, punching a horror until the Colonel killed it with a mace to the head.

Crisis averted, though we have wounded to tend to now.

In all? They performed exactly how I wanted! :D

EDIT: Inspection of the logs allowed me to find a Horror tried to steal my Colonel's shoe as well in the fighting. Colonel Litast responded to the attempted shoe-theft by beating the horror to death with his mace.

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42206 on: July 01, 2015, 07:06:31 am »

Turns out while I was preparing the Goblins found my little walled-off farm section.

Apparently Goblins can climb walls now; and then they entered through the ramp I used to make the roof. I didn't know Goblins could climb walls.

Seige is broken [My AxeDwarves butchered them when they got there; 0 military casualties or real injuries; although one's flashing with a white X I look and there's no injuries on that dwarf at all.]; but I lost like 30 dwarves due to them walking into my farms and butchering the farmers; and those dumb enough to run in to pick up stuff before I noticed the Goblins had snuck in, and tantrums are happening.

Still; I actually broke the seige. So reclamation should be a thing.

First thing I'll do is wall off around the damn ramp. Don't need to ever go up there anymore; why leave it as a Gobbo hatch?

Also I checked the history logs. Apparently the FB didn't die to it's injuries. A Giant Olm killed it.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 07:10:46 am by Raikaria »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42207 on: July 01, 2015, 07:15:44 am »

Turns out while I was preparing the Goblins found my little walled-off farm section.

Apparently Goblins can climb walls now; and then they entered through the ramp I used to make the roof.

Climbing's been a thing since v40 came out. It's not used unless there's literally no other means of ingress available, or if it seems preferable to sharing a tile.

Seige is broken [My AxeDwarves butchered them when they got there]; but I lost like 30 dwarves due to them walking into my farms and butchering the farmers and tantrums are happening.

Chances are the civies saw the goblins and jumped in as well. Dwarves now tend to take to the field if they think they can win (be it due to numbers or personality and values)

Still; I actually broke the seige. So reclamation should be a thing.

First thing I'll do is wall off around the damn ramp. Don't need to ever go up there anymore; why leave it as a Gobbo hatch?

Figured you could win, even with a small force! Congrats! And you could leave it as a kill area - move the farms, set up an airlock system (pair of drawbridges,) keep it locked down unless the enemy is spotted - then seal all other ways in, and let them climb into the waiting maw of DEATH.

Also I checked the history logs. Apparently the FB didn't die to it's injuries. A Giant Olm killed it.

It may have still succumbed to injuries. The kill goes to whoever last attacked it successfully, probably including bruises and deflections, if I'm not mistaken.

A miner/bone carver spotted a straggler Jungle Horror and ran it down. It raged, came at him, even threw him on his side by his fucking pickaxe, and knocked out four teeth.

The worker still won, mining its left hand and brains. And he says he "doesn't really value skills related to fighting." Hmmph. my ass. But still, we now have a nice healthy stock of some nice red meat to supplement our reliance on fish, pomelos, and lychees since my ass dragging lead to the loss of most of our squash and blackberry seed stock.

Camulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42208 on: July 01, 2015, 09:40:47 am »

Come oan ye lazy drunken louts, stop twiddling yer beards, the human merchants ave entered our gates!
Grab as many of them carved bones as ye can lads, these buffoons will buy em all.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42209 on: July 01, 2015, 10:07:54 am »

According to the billion coins I minted to offer to the home caravan for lulz, my dwarves hail from the magical mountain nation known as New Zealand. Why? Because my dorfs' country has  a pair of Kiwi for thier symbol.

Humans came and went, and amidst the extra brew, I managed to secure a partisan for a migrant who dreams of becoming a legendary warrior. He must be a big son of a bitch, because he was able to use the thing one-handed.

The populous is fully housed, we finally have a hospital (such as it is,) we finally got a bookkeeper, the jail is partly-built (still need chains,) the Mayoral Suite is awaiting the first election, and plentiful tetrahedrite is resulting in plentiful billion for fall. Hopefully fall won't come bearing high elves.
Pages: 1 ... 2812 2813 [2814] 2815 2816 ... 3842