Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2811 2812 [2813] 2814 2815 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6118940 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #42180 on: June 30, 2015, 04:12:30 pm »

Every squad will be set up as so: One swordsman as the leader, two hammermen, two axemen, two spearmen, and a crossbowdwarf. Each member will have at least one dog to accompany them, the leaders having two and another war animal on top of that. Squads for smiths with full armour and two shields will be set up, with two dogs each and a single axedwarf and a crossbowdwarf for protection.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42181 on: June 30, 2015, 04:14:26 pm »

Every squad will be set up as so: One swordsman as the leader, two hammermen, two axemen, two spearmen, and a crossbowdwarf. Each member will have at least one dog to accompany them, the leaders having two and another war animal on top of that. Squads for smiths with full armour and two shields will be set up, with two dogs each and a single axedwarf and a crossbowdwarf for protection.

Don't mix ranged and melee unless everyone gets a ranged weapon. Otherwise everyone will try to carry ammo. Keep your ranged fighters in thier own squads otherwise.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42182 on: June 30, 2015, 04:20:51 pm »

It's worked for me to mix them.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

conein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42183 on: June 30, 2015, 04:30:44 pm »

And then you get 10 goblin sieges.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #42184 on: June 30, 2015, 04:34:26 pm »

War dogs should be given to the most vulnerable/important.  which means administrators and outside civilians first.  Then nobles and perhaps captains.  war animals are simply too ineffective to use along with the warriors without numbers to replace them.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42185 on: June 30, 2015, 05:25:32 pm »

It's worked for me to mix them.

Same here. Only the crossbow dwarves equipped quivers and loaded up on ammo.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42186 on: June 30, 2015, 05:29:25 pm »

War giant tigers rip through goblins as fast as my legendaries. And then there's the BIG ones, like jabberers/cave dragons/rocs/dragons. Those are enough to counter a siege if backed.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42187 on: June 30, 2015, 05:45:15 pm »

Think of wardogs as ablative armour - work fine for a (very) short while, but then... all gone. :(

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42188 on: June 30, 2015, 06:16:40 pm »

War giant tigers rip through goblins as fast as my legendaries. And then there's the BIG ones, like jabberers/cave dragons/rocs/dragons. Those are enough to counter a siege if backed.

Yup, I love war giant tigers! I did a lot of testing back with the previous version and found that, at least back then, war giant tigers can go toe-to-toe with jabberers, despite being half their size :).

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42189 on: June 30, 2015, 06:19:30 pm »

Its been 2 1/4 years.  We have 81 dwarves and no mayor.  I cant appoint any nobility yet.

A ribbon worm is going around my muddy barren cavern and burning all the crundles in it.  The ashes of the fires and the remains of the corpses seem to allow for sparse fungus birth.  And mah frames goes down when cuz the smoke.

Babies are being born every few days.  Not a huge deal, we only have like 15 of them.  But the constant pausing when Ive grown apathetic isnt helping.

We set up magma forges, have water, figured out that the desert would have an aquifer but the stone directly below the surface doesnt sport them.

I started this fort as a test/first fort in a fresh world.  Instead, I still cant appoint nobles.  We've survived a werecat attack because of luck.

And it rains elf blood in the mountains.  The elf blood appears to kill wagons and freak out the pack animals, who drop their load and flee.  :roll:  go figure.

And this from the last migrant wave.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yea.  the mother, a 22 year old, got elf blood on herself, dropped her baby into a pool of sand and blood, and walked halfway to the magma sea to wash herself off.  She them promptly fogot about her baby and got to work hunting.  the baby has left a trail of vomit from where he got dropped to there.  Crawl little babah, crawl!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42190 on: June 30, 2015, 07:07:28 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

that represents the entirety of my embark points.  I loaded up default raws and Im going to see for myself how long the rest of you have to wait for nobles.  Ridiculousness.

How does Toady expect me to claim terrifying or untamed wilds and do cave starts or reclaim fallen forts if I can't* assign a military?

Pedit:  took me less than a month to recruit the whole bloody schlew of nobility.

Peditedit:  So i discovered it isnt the entity file that does it.  I replaced that and nothing, but I replaced all the raws and it fixed.

Pediteditedit:  ITS THE CREATURE_STANDARD FILE!

:|
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 08:07:09 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42191 on: June 30, 2015, 08:09:52 pm »

Holy Shit being a slow learner stops you from recruiting nobility!

But [SKILL_LEARN_RATES:50] doesnt.  So just replacing [slow_learner] with that will have the same effect, in case anyone else feels dwarves gain skill too fast.

This whole time Ive been playing with addled dwarves!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 08:20:56 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

Lockem Shoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42192 on: June 30, 2015, 09:18:50 pm »

My retired legendary adventurer "Deathfornicator" settled down in one of my sinister forts. Using dfhack, I managed to get him married and have 10 children. Unfortunately, zombies kept spawning and killing everybody in the fortress. Deathfornicator is currently the last dwarf, and he is being repeatedly attacked by his undead children and wife. No migrants are coming - my poor adventurer is living a terrible retirement.

a troglodyte

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #42193 on: July 01, 2015, 12:11:56 am »

Wererhinoceros attack! Fortunately, he decided to mainly smack my dwarves with an (alpaca wool hood). In the end only a couple limbs were lost.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42194 on: July 01, 2015, 02:11:40 am »

Usually when I see vermin, it's just one isolated individual. While scanning through my fortress recently, I came across a rat infestation!

I've never seen so many in one area before. Counting the corpses, as well as a stack of 3 in one spot, there were 12. Luckily, the recently acquired cat was on the scene. I'm guessing it's related to rotting items from item degradation when reclaiming retired forts.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 02:15:38 am by VerdantSF »
Pages: 1 ... 2811 2812 [2813] 2814 2815 ... 3842