Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2809 2810 [2811] 2812 2813 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6118708 times)

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #42150 on: June 29, 2015, 03:08:11 am »

Working on precise delays / clock signals.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42151 on: June 29, 2015, 04:46:46 am »

A siege! A siege! Rouse the military, arm the civilians! Move all the animals but the dogs, leave those at the gate! Get that beast master to his station! Close the main gate, open the sally port! Unforbid all the good ammo, go go g- What? Ten goblins...? Okay, kill them all... What a dissapo-LLLYYYYYY SHIIIIIIIIIT!!! I checked the u menu, 534 goblins, 38 trolls, 44 giant olms, and a ton of beak dogs... Well, open the main gate. Our new masters are here... My second fort fell to a massive siege, wherein my dwarves killed almost the entire siege anyway. Proud of those filthy beards.
And people said giant sieges never happen anymore  :P
Good job on your dwarves for surviving so long though.

And good job on your computer for not bringing you to >.01 FPS with such a huge army onscreen!
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #42152 on: June 29, 2015, 05:14:13 am »

It went as low as 8 the whole time, and usually stays near 40 when I have a 100 dwarf fort on my usual 4x4.

I think crossbowdwarves and ballistae picking off dozens of targets as they came up might've helped my survival a lot, as I don't use cages or any traps. That includes cave ins and magma traps, too. Everything is done by dwarf power, with extensive use of steel for mass production. Everything but highwood was forbidden during civilian shield making, the most of them were armed with spears, everyone had a bronze mail shirt and helm, the rest being leather, and I had twenty hunters going only hunting year round. Any masterwork bolts were forbidden for such occasions, and steel was the only weapon metal used, besides the rare bars of near-divine grade burning steel. Due to having four weaponsmiths working away, I had four artifact weapons: a platinum war hammer, a steel morningstar, a burning steel longsword, and a burning steel battle axe. My real military consisted of 30 regular soldiers, and a one-dwarf "beastmaster". He happened to be a great animal trainer, so I made him war train all the war animals, and a professional shield dwarf, with novice swordsdwarf. I made him use two shields, however. This made him hard to kill. He, instead of having weapons to kill things with, as his title meant, had many animals: three jabberers, three grizzlies, fourteen dogs, a pair of giant tigers and giant jaguars, and four elephants. I was hoping to add the nearby rocs to his collection, three in total are very close by, two female and one male, and start a roc hatchery, but nope. The goblins got me first. The beastmaster actually got a few kills anyway, with his shields, and was the fifth to last dwarf to die. The fourth was a very lucky civilian recruit, who managed to get a respectable kill list before having a silver whip go through his head. The last three were my three militia commanders. They held out rather well. My fortress guards were some of the first victims, as they were ten of the twenty hunters. They stood before the gate in the line of fire, shooting dozens of bolts as fast as they could, while the civilian hunter squad on the other side of the gate did much less than the fortress guard. The siege operators had two ballistae and a catapult to work with, and whittled down actually a few goblins before they fled. There was eight dogs left in front of the main gate, and they fell pretty fast. Then the first two waves of civilians were thrown at them, my legendary smiths and potter retreated to a room where they held out with crossbows and one axedwarf, with a giant cheetah and a dog also. After burning through my civilians, the upper two paths, which led to the dining room and sleeping area, were guarded by two of my three militia squads. My beastmaster was left by the smithies, ahead of the smiths and other important crafters. He held out pretty well, but the smiths ran out of bolts and charged out, getting slaughtered, despite their full steel plate. The last militia squad charged from the miltary zone, held in the caverns with drawbridges for walls, and up some stairs, running into the main horde from the side. About eighty goblins out of 540 and only two beak dogs were left alive by the time the final dwarves fell. I'm pretty sure this'll be in the engravings of my next fort, as well as many images on the clothing. Maybe I should reclaim the site if I can, because there's a lot of metal and clothing there, as well as twelve artifacts, nine of which are military involved. I wish I had recorded the battle... Ohwell, it was great to watch. So much miasma will be there when I get back though...
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Galena

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42153 on: June 29, 2015, 08:09:56 am »

It went as low as 8 the whole time, and usually stays near 40 when I have a 100 dwarf fort on my usual 4x4.

I think crossbowdwarves and ballistae picking off dozens of targets as they came up might've helped my survival a lot, as I don't use cages or any traps. That includes cave ins and magma traps, too. Everything is done by dwarf power, with extensive use of steel for mass production. Everything but highwood was forbidden during civilian shield making, the most of them were armed with spears, everyone had a bronze mail shirt and helm, the rest being leather, and I had twenty hunters going only hunting year round. Any masterwork bolts were forbidden for such occasions, and steel was the only weapon metal used, besides the rare bars of near-divine grade burning steel. Due to having four weaponsmiths working away, I had four artifact weapons: a platinum war hammer, a steel morningstar, a burning steel longsword, and a burning steel battle axe. My real military consisted of 30 regular soldiers, and a one-dwarf "beastmaster". He happened to be a great animal trainer, so I made him war train all the war animals, and a professional shield dwarf, with novice swordsdwarf. I made him use two shields, however. This made him hard to kill. He, instead of having weapons to kill things with, as his title meant, had many animals: three jabberers, three grizzlies, fourteen dogs, a pair of giant tigers and giant jaguars, and four elephants. I was hoping to add the nearby rocs to his collection, three in total are very close by, two female and one male, and start a roc hatchery, but nope. The goblins got me first. The beastmaster actually got a few kills anyway, with his shields, and was the fifth to last dwarf to die. The fourth was a very lucky civilian recruit, who managed to get a respectable kill list before having a silver whip go through his head. The last three were my three militia commanders. They held out rather well. My fortress guards were some of the first victims, as they were ten of the twenty hunters. They stood before the gate in the line of fire, shooting dozens of bolts as fast as they could, while the civilian hunter squad on the other side of the gate did much less than the fortress guard. The siege operators had two ballistae and a catapult to work with, and whittled down actually a few goblins before they fled. There was eight dogs left in front of the main gate, and they fell pretty fast. Then the first two waves of civilians were thrown at them, my legendary smiths and potter retreated to a room where they held out with crossbows and one axedwarf, with a giant cheetah and a dog also. After burning through my civilians, the upper two paths, which led to the dining room and sleeping area, were guarded by two of my three militia squads. My beastmaster was left by the smithies, ahead of the smiths and other important crafters. He held out pretty well, but the smiths ran out of bolts and charged out, getting slaughtered, despite their full steel plate. The last militia squad charged from the miltary zone, held in the caverns with drawbridges for walls, and up some stairs, running into the main horde from the side. About eighty goblins out of 540 and only two beak dogs were left alive by the time the final dwarves fell. I'm pretty sure this'll be in the engravings of my next fort, as well as many images on the clothing. Maybe I should reclaim the site if I can, because there's a lot of metal and clothing there, as well as twelve artifacts, nine of which are military involved. I wish I had recorded the battle... Ohwell, it was great to watch. So much miasma will be there when I get back though...

Nice.
He listed off what sounded like a lot of painful-sounding procedures that needed to be done, then proceeded to immediately throw a party.

Camulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42154 on: June 29, 2015, 09:24:05 am »

Uhmmm...............
So many drumsticks, so little time.

Also, the necromancer and a few undead arrived. Mulled about for a few ticks and promptly left my site.
Guess my dwarves are to skinny for their tastes.

At least the chicksplosion will soon fix that.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42155 on: June 29, 2015, 09:39:41 am »

When they have come we were ready ... sort of.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #42156 on: June 29, 2015, 10:58:58 am »

A legendary miner isn't much impressed by a giant rattlesnake.

nimbus25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42157 on: June 29, 2015, 02:26:23 pm »

Fighttomb is living up to its name

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42158 on: June 29, 2015, 02:49:47 pm »

A legendary miner isn't much impressed by a giant rattlesnake.

Miners are awesome. Really.

Fighttomb is living up to its name

This child needs a bad ass nickname right here. I mean, he punched a honey badger in the head and the head exploded. That's some Kenshiro-level shit right here.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42159 on: June 29, 2015, 03:08:27 pm »

Gah, only 370 meat from a giant bulging feathered antennaed scorpion? The chitin alone weighs twice that much! I'll never have a giangantic foof stockpile now!

*Sits down and cries about measly lack of insanely paranoidly excessive food supplies*
One wheel short of a wagon

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42160 on: June 29, 2015, 03:10:01 pm »

Decided to go with beekeeping as a major industry for my new fort, aptly named Toolbear. With 16 hives reserved and 24 always on Gather Products, my dwarves are swimming in honey and royal jelly. Lavish meals of dwarven syrup, rock nut press cake, rock nut oil, & dwarven wheat (dwarven baklava!) are usually the staple for my forts. But with all these bee products, the dwarves of Toolbear mostly chow down on roasts of flour, eggs, honey, and royal jelly. I like to think of it as the DF version of honey bread. Mead is also currently 50% of all booze production. I used to sell all the excess royal jelly, but in an effort to recycle jugs back into local production, lavish meals of rock nut paste + 3 jugs of royal jelly now accompany the flour roasts. Probably tastes something like vegemite. 

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42161 on: June 29, 2015, 03:10:59 pm »

Are bees laggy? I'm wondering about mass producing hives, once I have more forges or craftsdwarves workshops.
One wheel short of a wagon

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42162 on: June 29, 2015, 03:13:28 pm »

Not as far as I've seen. Still at 100 fps, though Toolbear only has 28 dwarves. Once I hit 80, I'll have a better idea.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #42163 on: June 29, 2015, 03:14:23 pm »

Uhmmm...............
So many drumsticks, so little time.

Also, the necromancer and a few undead arrived. Mulled about for a few ticks and promptly left my site.
Guess my dwarves are to skinny for their tastes.

At least the chicksplosion will soon fix that.

Get ready to become McDonalds. Sell your produce to Elves and Humans - no need to even leave the caravan! Drive right on through!
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #42164 on: June 29, 2015, 04:26:23 pm »

Meet Zan Raluklorban (Zan Hailstandards), a legendary swordmaster (he's legendary+5 according to Dwarf Therapist) in my fortress.
Today he's leading demonstrations to the rookies

Curious he's not teaching his sword skills, but biting is still a part of the dwarven way of battle, so Zan Raluklorban is probably teaching his incredible btting skills to the rookies, let's see how highly skilled he is

Hmm.
Pages: 1 ... 2809 2810 [2811] 2812 2813 ... 3842