Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2805 2806 [2807] 2808 2809 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6118703 times)

BesorgterZwerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #42090 on: June 26, 2015, 11:16:32 am »

Started a new fort in a nice location with sun berries and giant desert scorpions to get.
And finally i see kobold snatchers again. :o

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42091 on: June 26, 2015, 12:04:11 pm »

Well, making everyone babysnatchers wasn't such a hot idea. We have nine superlegendary soldiers and nothing for them to fight apart from very sporadic werebeasts and giant humanoids. Last was a minotaur. The first to reach it was a hammerlord who _kicked_ the (standing) minotaur in the face so hard it was knocked unconscious. I imagine he came in running and turned the momentum into a foot-first leap. Even so, that's some impressive vertical reach to get his feet in a minotaur's face.

P.S. or he ordered the swordmaster who ran alongside to toss him.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42092 on: June 26, 2015, 12:08:34 pm »

Well, making everyone babysnatchers wasn't such a hot idea. We have nine superlegendary soldiers and nothing for them to fight apart from very sporadic werebeasts and giant humanoids. Last was a minotaur. The first to reach it was a hammerlord who _kicked_ the (standing) minotaur in the face so hard it was knocked unconscious. I imagine he came in running and turned the momentum into a foot-first leap. Even so, that's some impressive vertical reach to get his feet in a minotaur's face.

P.S. or he ordered the swordmaster who ran alongside to toss him.

Don't tell the elf.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42093 on: June 26, 2015, 01:27:10 pm »

Another goblin ambush team incursion via the Trade Depot tunnel into Tombthrones a year after the first one.

This one was detected mid-tunnel by some sentinel roosters.  So the two goblins using this way in were met at the Depot itself by the faster moving of my armored militia squads (5 squads of 4 wearing iron).  Weapon skill seemed about equal (Competent) and the goblins were wearing iron helms and breastplates themselves.  Numbers made a quick difference and both goblins died quickly. 

The rest of their ambush group, another one detected at an outer gate, and four snatchers got torn up by the menacing spikes and limped off.  Most of them got away before a couple of squads came along to finish them off.  None of these goblins got far enough to encounter the Frogger II devices - which had to be turned off before the militia sortied.

An interesting thing did happen when the goblins skirted a natural earth wall heading inbound.  The livestock pastured on the other side went into a panic and fled.  Out the unlocked pasture door into the outer courtyard.  And, being the pets of dwarves, they opted not to run north into the fortress where the dwarves were, but south towards the outer gate and the way to find goblins.  However, between them and the gate were the three Frogger II devices; so my dwarves are now burying exploded pets and miscellaneous grazing livestock.

I have also shut down my silk farm.  It ran for roughly a season and generated enough webs to make a couple thousand rolls of silk cloth.

Final bit of news was the chief medical dwarf getting a mood and making an artifact steel mail shirt.  He's now a legendary armor smith and likes steel.   :D   He was given his own personal magma forge to work from and has been tasked with churning out the steel upgrade for the militia's armor.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42094 on: June 26, 2015, 01:29:17 pm »

One wheel short of a wagon

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #42095 on: June 26, 2015, 02:43:11 pm »

Soon after a group of merchant from mountainhomes came to my fortress, an early (earlier than i thought) undead siege started.
My military was non existant, but i had finished my fort and its bridge entrance, so all that was left to do is to simply pull the lever and raise the bridge.

Wait a minute, the lever, the damned lever, i completely forgot to make that lever.
Uh oh..

The undead after trying to kill a couple of rhinoceros started to move toward my fort fully opened entrance.
Doom was coming, as i didn't bother to make any kind of even wooden weaponry, chances were very very small to get a victory.

But i didn't counted on the brave merchant bodyguards, those dwarves were though and despite a couple of losses managed to annihilate the undead legion (playing 34.11 of course) and save my fort !

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The 2 warriors fallen in battle will be remembered (surprisingly there didn't seemed to be a necromancer, as none of those warriors walked up as undead).

Next priority : remember to make that damned lever this time !

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42096 on: June 26, 2015, 02:56:32 pm »

Found the first layer of caves.

Seems to just be a giant underground lake.

Also the Hippies brought me a breedable pair of Giant Leopards. Waiting to breed a small army of teeth and claws.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #42097 on: June 26, 2015, 03:09:41 pm »

Okay, we get it, your wife died, you dont have a bed! Okay, you're a little thirsty, don't throw your baby! Why are you upset? You just made eight masterworks! WHY DID THE ANIMALS I BOUGHT DIE?!? Why aren't you mining in the right area? I thought you calmed down?!? Where'd your baby go?!? Why did your husband die?!? Why did you just punch the metalsmith in the face!?! What are you doing!?! Stop fighting!?! Okay, they both di-w-what? And ambush? NO! THOSE DON'T HAPPEN! Go away goblins, I only have one suit of armour, I don't know how to deal with this...

I forgot what a hassle it was to keep 34.11 dwarves happy in the first couple years.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #42098 on: June 26, 2015, 03:14:40 pm »

Current Dwarves are worse. My Dwarves still haven't gotten over their memories of a goblin being killed. Bastards are still depressed. Pansies.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42099 on: June 26, 2015, 03:16:05 pm »

Yeah, but I've had genocide witnesses in my fort remain cheerful throughout, though they claim to be horrified.
One wheel short of a wagon

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42100 on: June 26, 2015, 03:21:43 pm »

STOP DRINKING! YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE KILLING GOBLINS! YOU'VE DRANK 14 UNITS OF DWARVEN ALE ALREADY! JUST STOP!
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #42101 on: June 26, 2015, 03:23:12 pm »

Current Dwarves are worse.
I find its easier to keep these 40.x dwarves happy early on.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42102 on: June 26, 2015, 03:32:32 pm »

...You know what? Screw these dwarves. Even in burning steel and regular steel armour with a colossus bronze war hammer, they couldn't kill a goblin spearman. I'm abandoning this fort... Man, 40.24 is easy compared to this. I became so complacent.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42103 on: June 26, 2015, 04:26:40 pm »

Frogger II devices -

Hmmm?

Outer courtyard area about 8 tiles wide.  On each side is a coil accelerator with lever retractable doors.  Between the accelerators is a bridge playing the part of straight cart track.  Open the doors and a gold mine cart races back and forth going very fast.  Creatures stepping onto the bridge tend to get pasted by the cart, carried into the accelerator chamber and exploded against the wall.  With three of these built and active an invader gets to deal with six lanes of potential cart traffic in order to get through.  (Though a large creature like a cave croc can seriously slow the cart and multiple collisions can stop it completely.  For kobolds, snatchers, and goblin ambush teams; e.g. infantry, it just mangles them.

It's called "Frogger" due to earlier designs using the name in reference to an old video game where you try to hop a frog across lanes of traffic dodging cars, and then across a river using logs and turtles.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #42104 on: June 26, 2015, 04:28:39 pm »

As a follow up to my previous post, after the cleaning of the area to avoid very bad surprise in case the necromancer was still going stealth around, a season passed.
Then a new caravan from mountainhomes (i only have them visiting me, i guess the other friendly entities have been destroyed, i may have added a bit too much very hostiles new entities) , i lowered my bridge.

And a couple of yaks rushed into the fort, undead yaks , the merchant troops managed to kill them with a few casualties unfortunately, then after a few seconds, the yaks attacked again !

This time i was certain : there is a stealth necromancer around, fortunately my fort underground hatch is well guarded so the enemy can't stealth go down and have fun with the refuse stockpiles and dump zone that i have full of corpses and body parts (i secured the previous dead there to avoid a re-raise).

As i had got some migrant since, and several actually competent warrior in the middle, and with some weapon i had by then, we destroyed the yaks again, then again.

And finally the sneaky bastard was discovered, man he managed to walk undetected all that distance inside my walls ?

Let's say Justice was made , but it was not the angry merchant bodyguards that survived the undead yaks onslaught and my actually competent military squads that made short work of that "dwarf administrator".
The heroes of the day were actually the animals that were really angry at him, with a horse of the merchants that dealt the killing blow (34.11 has a lot of wrong "knocked unconscious" that in fact mean the guy is struck down)

That mighty horse was then given a name for his necromancer kill , Vutotok !

Too bad the merchants don't want to leave him with me.
Pages: 1 ... 2805 2806 [2807] 2808 2809 ... 3842