Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2804 2805 [2806] 2807 2808 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6118900 times)

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #42075 on: June 25, 2015, 01:17:53 pm »

Or drop a trade depot full of elves down there. That's always fun.
Ooh. I like that!
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #42076 on: June 25, 2015, 01:20:12 pm »

Or drop a trade depot full of elves down there. That's always fun.
Ooh. I like that!
Remember to buy any exotic animals first. Especially if they have giant tigers.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42077 on: June 25, 2015, 01:59:27 pm »

Why buy when you can claim/steal?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42078 on: June 25, 2015, 02:01:10 pm »

Why buy when you can claim/steal?
Because if he claims them, the elves will start leaving before he can get the exotic animal out or drop the elves.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42079 on: June 25, 2015, 02:05:31 pm »

Because if he claims them, the elves will start leaving before he can get the exotic animal out or drop the elves.

Unless you made a trap that makes the hatch on top of the Trade Depot, it's easier to make the drop hatch on the path back out of your fortress, anyway.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Galena

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42080 on: June 25, 2015, 02:08:20 pm »

My two miners just became lovers, which is basically the cutest thing to ever happen in my fortress. From the start of my fortress they'd always been friends and so I had been hoping forever that this would happen.

In bigger picture news, I just outfitted my military with some kickass metal armor and weapons. considering my fortress is on an island with no neighbors, I really shouldn't have a fortress military this large. I considered only having a 4-5 person military, but then I realized militaries are awesome.
He listed off what sounded like a lot of painful-sounding procedures that needed to be done, then proceeded to immediately throw a party.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42081 on: June 25, 2015, 07:32:36 pm »

The embark on top of a mountain overlooking an evil desert is getting along nicely. The embark point was right on top of the spur of rock - 118 z-levels above the desert biome. The desert occasionally generates clouds of zombie dust, which doesn't bother us, since there's simply no path up. Getting the farms going was quite a bit of work - the only soil is in/below the desert, so we had to drill down ~120 levels. Travel and haul distances are slightly crazy. Things were worse before we lifted a bit of magma from the first cavern to roughly the level of the farms. We had to send ore down to the second cavern (because that was the first open magma tube we spotted) before magma transportation became possible. That meant ~185 z-levels to traverse. The third cavern level is 230z below the top of the map.

The goblins aren't very active. We got two token sieges, each consisting of a single archer squad. And they keep trying to camp, sitting on the map border or in some passageway, moving maybe one step per fortnight. The second "siege" of the goblins was fortunately after the first full undead siege (had a few ambushes before, netting us two caught necros). In order to deal with that siege, we built a high-speed minecart grinder and stocked it with golden carts. And the undead may be quite terrifying offensively, but they seem to be a bit mushy. About half fell after the first minecart hit, about another third after the second, i didn't see anything that lasted more than three hits. Limbs ended up flying everywhere.

Actual living goblins die about as quickly, the main difference is that they don't lose most of their limbs when smacked around by a minecart. Their movement code can lead to infuriatingly long waits before they decide to move at all. They stood around in the corridor leading to the bonemill for two goddamn _months_ moving a whopping three tiles in that time. Eventually, they tried to leave - through the grinder. We built a mini-minecart-shotgun into the array so it can shoot a volley of stone blocks down the corridor leading up to the grinder if this kind of shit happens again. We weren't going to carve the fortification with _that_ crew in the corridor, though - it was an all-ranged squad and at least one goblin was going to be adjacent to the fortification.

Not long after, another undead siege came. Before any of the undead got into the grinder, two corpses appeared out of nowhere. The grinder had annihilated two stealthed necromancers. One of them was a named human, the other a dwarven miller, who, it turned out, was our ex-queen. The dwarfs keep trying to clean the grinder while it's in full operation. A citizen-triggered pressure plate opening two hatches in their way prevents the mass suicide they crave, but since cats are too light to trigger plates, a cat got through and was blown apart by the collision. Note: set doors to pet-proof.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 07:46:26 pm by Larix »

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42082 on: June 25, 2015, 07:45:09 pm »

Began a 5x5 fort in 34.11. It's starting rather well, ran into a clump of magnetite right away. Currently getting a smelter and wood furnace going, as this place has a LOT of trees. In excess of 1200. There's blade weed too, so that's good. I'll have two types of dye going. Where do you get red root again? As this is 34.11, I'm expecting sieges sometime. I'll ten iron spears, mail shirts, chain leggings, helms, and shields going. My weaponsmith likes spears, so they'll come out in a bit better quality than if he did swords or such. Got the stone crafter pumping out stone crafts, hoping the caravan comes with some burning steel and colossus bronze bars. (Colossus bronze is better than steel for defense, better than platinum for blunt weapons, and worse than silver for cutting. It's exceptionally heavy, too. Burning steel is basically better steel, not that heavy, really good blades, and only as good as steel for blunt. Colossus bronze is better by far for armour, too. Since they're both equally rare, burning steel requiring a dragon's bones and colossus bronze requiring lots of tin, copper, and a bit of aluminum, they'll only be used once my weapon smith hits legendary, same for the armour. This fort will not fall, it'll last indefinitely. I wont let it fall.)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #42083 on: June 25, 2015, 07:50:56 pm »

Embarked on a test fort.  For whatever reason, nobility seems borked in my forts for the version 40.24.

If this for goes well and I can assign a bloody milita commander I'll be able to both run my theme game from that world and maybe retry my community fort.

On the offchance, how long do you guys have to wait before assigning brokers, bookeepers, and commanders?  Hopefully not the 3 years Ive documented in my forts :|
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #42084 on: June 25, 2015, 07:54:22 pm »

My two miners just became lovers, which is basically the cutest thing to ever happen in my fortress. From the start of my fortress they'd always been friends and so I had been hoping forever that this would happen.

In bigger picture news, I just outfitted my military with some kickass metal armor and weapons. considering my fortress is on an island with no neighbors, I really shouldn't have a fortress military this large. I considered only having a 4-5 person military, but then I realized militaries are awesome.

when the forgotten beast and titans and megabeast attack, you will be glad to have had a military
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42085 on: June 25, 2015, 08:14:23 pm »

when the forgotten beast and titans and megabeast attack, you will be glad to have had a military
Uninvited guests are pushovers. One squad with metal armor and weapons can usually make short work of them. A bunch of unarmed untrained dwarves can kill a cyclops or Minotaur just by outnumbering it, the only reason you even need some kind of soldiery quality to your troops is to make up for those killed by syndrome inducing guck.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42086 on: June 25, 2015, 08:24:57 pm »

Tons and tons of iron and plants have been gathered. Have 500 wood at least already. First migrants arrived. Sadly, only two of them. About to get the smiths going. Going to make some sandstone walls around the place, and then work on buildings. The buildings will extend one floor underground and one floor in the air.

UPDATE: I miss priorities in the d menu, and n in workshops...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 08:41:56 pm by StagnantSoul »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #42087 on: June 26, 2015, 08:18:20 am »

While testing some fortress mode in df2014 to see if the changes i made to the goblins would help in making them sieging more and after several years being disapointed that nothing is different (no siege is occuring), i gave a look at some of my dwarves description.

And noticed my manager
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

wow, that new emotion description system is wrote with so much awkwardly double entendre wording that i wonder if that dwarf is some of kind of exhibitionist nymphomaniac  , that chair must be something :o .
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 08:27:31 am by Robsoie »

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42088 on: June 26, 2015, 08:44:11 am »

I've felt pleasure near a fine door.... After slamming it closed in anger.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42089 on: June 26, 2015, 11:11:16 am »

Merchants, underground tracts, FPS death, and the knowledge that a fire FB may soon visit, halving FPS from 8 to 4, may conspire to bring down Dogikozul.

And I had found the shining adamantine as well.
One wheel short of a wagon
Pages: 1 ... 2804 2805 [2806] 2807 2808 ... 3842