Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2802 2803 [2804] 2805 2806 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6119102 times)

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #42045 on: June 24, 2015, 12:45:06 pm »

I tried working with minecarts once... Whereas I'm a master of the minecart and redstone systems of Minecraft, I'm only dabbling in the machinery of Dwarf Fortress. I can't even get a millstone working.
make sure you have the main level and the level above and below the machinery cleared and open.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #42046 on: June 24, 2015, 12:49:04 pm »

I once had an image made of fireballs (a skull closing and opening it's mouth after much luck) done in Minecraft. I think it might be on Youtube. I worked out tons and tons of dispensers with fireballs to shoot in the shape of a skull. It got a bit distorted, but I managed to get lucky enough that the top half stayed mostly in unison, the bottom half of the jaw shifted up and make the jaw close. And that was in survival mode.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42047 on: June 24, 2015, 12:52:43 pm »

I once had an image made of fireballs (a skull closing and opening it's mouth after much luck) done in Minecraft. I think it might be on Youtube. I worked out tons and tons of dispensers with fireballs to shoot in the shape of a skull. It got a bit distorted, but I managed to get lucky enough that the top half stayed mostly in unison, the bottom half of the jaw shifted up and make the jaw close. And that was in survival mode.
If only dwarffortress mechanics was that easy. Just kidding, I play it for its challenge and fun! Actually. that should be the next siege equipment! Cannons!
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Sig-texts!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42048 on: June 24, 2015, 12:59:02 pm »

I think cannons would be a bit out of place. Trebuchets and mangonels would be good, same with a hwacha. Hwacha would use normal arrows instead of ballista bolts, launching a flurry of them in a cone-ish shape. Mangonels would take the same stone, but break it up into small rocks when it fired. A trebuchet would be a massive catapults, that you can select a spot to fire at and can shoot many z-levels up. They'd probably all require extra pieces, like, maybe 20 for a trebuchet. It'd be worthit though, as you could shoot at anywhere you want, and with a legendary siege operator, be 100% on the mark. Compared to straight lines offered by catapults and ballistae with their small aoe, these would offer huge advantages to siege defense.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42049 on: June 24, 2015, 01:02:51 pm »

I think cannons would be a bit out of place. Trebuchets and mangonels would be good, same with a hwacha. Hwacha would use normal arrows instead of ballista bolts, launching a flurry of them in a cone-ish shape. Mangonels would take the same stone, but break it up into small rocks when it fired. A trebuchet would be a massive catapults, that you can select a spot to fire at and can shoot many z-levels up. They'd probably all require extra pieces, like, maybe 20 for a trebuchet. It'd be worthit though, as you could shoot at anywhere you want, and with a legendary siege operator, be 100% on the mark. Compared to straight lines offered by catapults and ballistae with their small aoe, these would offer huge advantages to siege defense.
yah, that would be good. The HWacha would be neat if you could configure it's firing pattern. Finally, my enemies shall know the aged skull of pain (my civ's name)
GENERATION 31:
Sig-texts!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42050 on: June 24, 2015, 01:08:19 pm »

Oooh, just downloaded ArmokVision... japa appears to be a genius of some kind, but anyone know if it'll be hard to work?
One wheel short of a wagon

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #42051 on: June 24, 2015, 01:38:24 pm »

Cannons would fit into Dorf Fort incredibly well. You'd need saltpeter, brass/iron/steel/broze cannons, stone/metal munitions and a whole host of other things about cannons I'm not listing. I think it'd be great as one of those final weapons-developments that actually make siege engineers worthwhile, to see a corridor fill with black smoke as a cannonball ploughs through hordes of Dwarven enemies... Splendour!

And what happens when a cannon misfires, warps or detonates? FUN!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #42052 on: June 24, 2015, 01:42:01 pm »

Oooh, just downloaded ArmokVision... japa appears to be a genius of some kind, but anyone know if it'll be hard to work?

What's Armok vision? Is it like Beer Goggles? :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42053 on: June 24, 2015, 01:44:32 pm »

Well considering everything else is in it's basic forms, I don't see something as advanced as a cannon sitting as well as a trebuchet.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42054 on: June 24, 2015, 01:44:36 pm »

Meant to be a new visualizer, also developed by japa, as all the others are for versions my fort is not on. Can/t get it to work, it seems not to have any graphics, which might be the prblem. Works for japa, not me.

I imagine real ArmokVision would involve rather more unimportant ants, magma, blood and targets.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #42055 on: June 24, 2015, 02:11:20 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I have just genned the biggest lake Ive ever seen.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42056 on: June 24, 2015, 02:15:36 pm »

Something about that reminds me of Lord of the Rings
GENERATION 31:
Sig-texts!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42057 on: June 24, 2015, 02:40:47 pm »

Size-wise: meh. Standard giant lake.

BUT: Mountain lake! With what look like islands, promontories, island rivers, nearby forts, a way in via river, a secluded beach (bottom left) and nearby peaks. Would look lovely in isoworld or something, I bet.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42058 on: June 24, 2015, 03:14:57 pm »

It's mountain-adjacent with a few hilly sections.  Embark on it, it sounds interesting.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42059 on: June 24, 2015, 03:27:07 pm »

AdvMode or even AdvFort would be better, for stockades/exploration, IMO.

Anyone ever tried wetting up their own empire, in AdvFOrt or no, by leaveing a buncha people in the country?
Pages: 1 ... 2802 2803 [2804] 2805 2806 ... 3842