Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2797 2798 [2799] 2800 2801 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6119450 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #41970 on: June 20, 2015, 09:52:39 pm »

Nobody, I called off the fights because a gremlin released all the animals for the fights. Well, technically the cheese makers won, because they killed one of the trolls and didn't lose anyone. The second troll was found near the daycare, fighting a miner. A blind cave ogre was the biggest threat to the fort, and managed to crush several heads in before my dual wielding militia commander could put him down. This fort is going really well! I've been working on it for two irl weeks.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Swonnrr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41971 on: June 21, 2015, 01:06:15 am »

Two years in, the prosperous and promising outpost is starting to really be held back by the lack of dwarfpower (16 heads).
Humans and Elves, and Dwarven caravans comes and goes, and this second time really start leaving with some valuable stuff, telling the world that the coastal fort of TwilightBoard is in dire need of hands and picks to begin the underground operations and fortification process.
Still, we attract no migrants.

Maybe dwarves want a fort with some tunnels dug to judge it worthy of their bearded presence?
Let's spend half the year digging 80 bedroom, filling them with masterwork carpentry and preparing dozens of roasts by our master cook for them!

"No migrant this season."

"Uhhh... Urist, check the books of legends please."
"Sure boss, what do you want?"
"Nearest Dwarven city."
"10 clicks. But it's under goblin control."
"Damn. Nearest FREE dwarven city?"
"None since 75."
"Uhhh... Nearest FREE city?"
"None since 140. They were all enslaved."

Armok Dammit. I should check these things before investing a whole night on a fort.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41972 on: June 21, 2015, 03:40:49 am »

Can one liberate cities in adventure mode?
One wheel short of a wagon

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #41973 on: June 21, 2015, 08:30:22 am »

Can one liberate cities in adventure mode?
Yes. I did it many times when There was a war started with the goblins and the goblins were winning. I ended up ruling the towns.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41974 on: June 21, 2015, 01:06:35 pm »

So that's what swonnrr needs to do.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41975 on: June 21, 2015, 01:28:54 pm »

Two years in, the prosperous and promising outpost is starting to really be held back by the lack of dwarfpower (16 heads).
Humans and Elves, and Dwarven caravans comes and goes, and this second time really start leaving with some valuable stuff, telling the world that the coastal fort of TwilightBoard is in dire need of hands and picks to begin the underground operations and fortification process.
Still, we attract no migrants.

Maybe dwarves want a fort with some tunnels dug to judge it worthy of their bearded presence?
Let's spend half the year digging 80 bedroom, filling them with masterwork carpentry and preparing dozens of roasts by our master cook for them!

"No migrant this season."

"Uhhh... Urist, check the books of legends please."
"Sure boss, what do you want?"
"Nearest Dwarven city."
"10 clicks. But it's under goblin control."
"Damn. Nearest FREE dwarven city?"
"None since 75."
"Uhhh... Nearest FREE city?"
"None since 140. They were all enslaved."

Armok Dammit. I should check these things before investing a whole night on a fort.

Seems like an ideal site to me. :P

Things don't go faster in a fort with a lot of dwarves, it tends to just halve your FPS at the same time it doubles the number of hands, anyway.

But yeah, it would really help to have some sort of indication of these conditions before you embark...  (Although I tend to find that being at war with the elves is a really good indicator your civ is extinct...)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41976 on: June 21, 2015, 01:46:36 pm »

My fort with Xhu Li in it died... That faint yellow diamond ape was too tough, somehow. We couldn't kill it, if someone with a good axe or sword came at it, it'd dodge or deflect with it's shell. If someone who wielded a knife or some other less effective weapon came up, it'd kick and punch them in the gut. My martial artist actually held out the longest, got to legendary, and stalled the beast for about two weeks game time. It killed Xhu Li though, and then my dual wielding militia commander was asleep when it came charging through. His head was crushed in his sleep, he never felt anything... Everyone was slaughtered. How could a bronze spider be less of a challenge than a faint yellow diamond ape? Xhu Li slaughtered the bronze spider in under a minute irl.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41977 on: June 21, 2015, 01:59:00 pm »

Apes are fighters on the human level, which is what the game is built around. Very dangerous.

Also, diamond is a teensy bit harder than bronze.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41978 on: June 21, 2015, 02:56:25 pm »

My new place is carved into the side of a mountain! With a lava tube. There's a stream on hte other side of the map, too. Which I'm going to redirect into a pool near my place. I'm thinking of having it half carved, half built, sticking out of the mountain for many Z levels, with 3-4 levels below ground.

Skribbblie

• Bay Watcher
  • Dlaglunkis slugutalbis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41979 on: June 21, 2015, 03:03:27 pm »

My dwarves are currently working on a pit to throw captured, wild, untamable creatures into, floating just above a magma pipe.

Why a pit, and not, say, just the magma?

Because that's boring, you clod. They just fall through the magma and vanish on contact with the bottom of the world. ARMOK DEMANDS BLOOD!

Additionally, we're working on acquiring a baron. I may have to do some fiddling with the liaison, because he refused to proclaim us a barony at 80000 wealth exported.

Coincidentally, that 80000 is entirely prepared food, because that's how we roll. All cheap like that. And we just exported about 100000 more wealth in prepared food, buying out almost the entire dwarven caravan.

But we don't trade with the other caravans - for them, we have a special surprise by the trade depot: A large cistern of water! Because the trade depot is inside a drowning chamber! Yay!

This may have caused war with the elves. Maybe. Or maybe it's just a coincidence that they don't come around anymore, and have changed their relationship status to "At War" (It's complicated.).

However, my custom race, the Triggats, seem perfectly okay with our repeated drowning of their merchants. They've somehow achieved and maintained peace with every civilization at the moment, despite obvious goblin kidnappings (judging by the sad little "siege" by ten unarmed goblin-aligned triggats)

And finally, we're refining candy. Quite a lot of it, actually. Slowly but surely. Two of our farmers are learning to become strand extractors, so our grand master armorsmith and high master weaponsmith can make some fancy candy weapons and armor.
I'm not really sure that maiming someone and forcing them to live with a crippling disability for your amusement can really be considered "merciful." Just sayin'.
Dwarven mercy.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41980 on: June 21, 2015, 03:06:29 pm »

But yeah, it would really help to have some sort of indication of these conditions before you embark...  (Although I tend to find that being at war with the elves is a really good indicator your civ is extinct...)

Legends Viewer is your best friend in these situations. These days I never embark without checking it for the civilization with sufficient resources and the best background story.

Lately I've fallen into habit of checking the immigrants' life stories from the Legends as I play. I find that it gives a whole new sense of realness when I find out that

- all four children of Edzul Paintedpaddled and Fath Fencedhorn were abducted before they left for Copperfell
- my new chief medical dwarf Uzol Cobaltmachine had her right eye poked out by hydra Ata Lousebud the Wastes of Filth when she was ten, just when she was returning home from her own abduction
- the freshly inherited Duke of Questedstake Solon Ancientwound's late father was obsessed by his own mortality and seeking to become a necromancer. Now I'm itching to know whether he succeeded or just died of old age.

That last one is giving me headache; the fort is barely into its second year and I'm struggling to provide duke-level accommodations at this point. If Copperfell starts to accumulate more spare nobility I'm in trouble.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #41981 on: June 21, 2015, 03:11:22 pm »

Eh. It takes too long to access Legends mode each time you want to check.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41982 on: June 21, 2015, 03:15:35 pm »

First few migrants showed up. Started on two of the magma smelters, got a magma kiln in construction, one forge soon to be up... But, all the metals I have is copper and silver. So silver war hammers, copper crossbows, and copper bolts. I'll import all the iron, steel, bronze, and burning steel I can. Man, this place sucks mineral wise. No diamonds, rubies, or sapphires. Most expensive gem is emeralds. I do have 1.2k native aluminum, though. I'll find that soon.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41983 on: June 21, 2015, 03:15:58 pm »

Eh. It takes too long to access Legends mode each time you want to check.

I just export the legends as XML and map files to use in Legends Viewer before I start the real game in fortress mode. No trouble at all, really.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41984 on: June 21, 2015, 04:16:26 pm »

Lately I've fallen into habit of checking the immigrants' life stories from the Legends as I play.

... That's a good idea.  I'll have to start doing that.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 2797 2798 [2799] 2800 2801 ... 3842