Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2795 2796 [2797] 2798 2799 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6119626 times)

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #41940 on: June 17, 2015, 03:25:30 pm »

How did you get the historical migrants? Some people have all the luck... :P

I've only had them few times during .40.xx but then again I tend to make my worlds a bit too tough for historical dwarves to survive. Getting historical migrants seems to require civilizations with thousands of citizens so any kind of "dwarfkind on the brink of extinction" scenario is out.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41941 on: June 17, 2015, 03:35:30 pm »

How did you get the historical migrants? Some people have all the luck... :P

Judging by the fact that I have one GIANT extended family in my game, I have almost nothing but historical immigrants, (none but the Starting Seven are generated,) but I apparently embarked from a civ made of 40% fisherdwarves, and 40% rangers.  (Not that having a few rangers roll in with silver crossbows and silver bolts before I have my metal industry really in full gear is a bad thing.)

I also got someone with 8 animal kills and some bone jewelry. 

Unfortunately, it also means about a third of my dwarves are like 150 years old, and have like 50 grandchildren, and are all intermarried via grandkids to the other old farts, 20 of which are in this fort.  I'm going to have some tantrum fun when these old coots kick the bucket from age.  (I'm excavating a large and detailed tomb floor down in the marble layer.  I still have yet to find a dwarf with no detested vermin, so I have no "real" smoothers/engravers, though.  I'll just have to decorate with statues.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #41942 on: June 17, 2015, 05:30:36 pm »

Dump then forbid. Or stockpile selectively.

Try decorating for a real reminder...
what would that look like. [u ] It is a Masterwork engraving By Urist Mcengraver.
The engraving is of a cat and a mine cart.
 The mine cart is speeding towards the cat and the cat is making pained expressions.
Relates to the mine cart kitty catastrophe of 120.[/u]
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41943 on: June 17, 2015, 05:51:22 pm »

Filled a weapon trap full of imported silver and copper whips, expecting an amazing display when someone walks across... Literally, nothing happened. He got some bruised flesh. My one exceptional silver whip equipped lasher has even decapitated someone once... I really don't know how that worked. But ten silver and copper whips did nothing but bruise flesh.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41944 on: June 17, 2015, 09:06:54 pm »

Filled a weapon trap full of imported silver and copper whips, expecting an amazing display when someone walks across... Literally, nothing happened. He got some bruised flesh. My one exceptional silver whip equipped lasher has even decapitated someone once... I really don't know how that worked. But ten silver and copper whips did nothing but bruise flesh.

The weapon trap swing must be qualitatively different from the way a lasherdwarf uses the weapon.

I'm busy designating the lower fort sections of Lightningmaw the Eternal God-Forsaken Fortress of Thunder. (My older brother helped with the naming.) I'm thinking it would be a good idea to build the main dining hall and meeting zones as danger rooms a la Dwarven Daycare. I'd still have a dedicated children's zone, but it'd be nice to train the rest of my dwarves in dodging and armor user passively as they take breaks and stuff. Put the time to good use, you know.

There are a lot of fort sections to designate: Dining hall/meeting zone (with or without spears planned), bedrooms, a workshop zone with Quantum Stockpile support, kitchens, stills, farms, a massive seed stockpile (I hate bags so much), a cistern with a hospital over it and a well in place, a large crypt, etc.

I'm going to rely on charcoal for forging. The map should grow enough wood to suit my purposes. I'm on an island to isolate the fort from invaders, since this is a fort for science. The caravan caught me with my pants down but we still managed to build a half dozen wooden balls and trade for some booze and plump helmets while the double-slit was still being driven through the aquifer. Easy access to lots of water is another perk.

This fort will be a lot like Picksling, but that one is my main fort, where I shall put to good use the things I learn from Gikenstul issunbunsothgeshud Amud. There's a lot of hauling to do before we're fully functional... probably two years' worth of moving in, then we can get started on the real business of making children to fill the daycare.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41945 on: June 17, 2015, 10:27:45 pm »

OK, so in the past year, my fort has had FIVE (fortunately non-fatal) accidents already, mostly involving either minecarts or falling objects.  (And one bee sting, although that hardly qualifies.)

So, I'm testing a minecart track out even though it's not finished, just to make sure I understand what's going on in it.  I basically intend to just force-quit/savescum everything away, as it's just for SCIENCE.  ANOTHER falling log manages to slam into my legendary weaponsmith, hitting her in the spine... but I figure this is OK, since, after all, I'm going to force-quit and not save it...

Autumn has arrived.  **SEASONAL AUTOSAVE**

F$#@!
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41946 on: June 17, 2015, 10:49:47 pm »

If I put a crossbow into the weapon trap and bolts, will it shoot the crossbow?
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41947 on: June 17, 2015, 11:03:53 pm »

If I put a crossbow into the weapon trap and bolts, will it shoot the crossbow?

Yes, but it only accepts 5 bolts at a time, so most players do not consider it worthwhile.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41948 on: June 17, 2015, 11:05:29 pm »

Oh. Well, scratch that idea. I was thinking of filling it with wooden bolts, to train enemies in dodge and armour as they came down the line.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41949 on: June 18, 2015, 01:42:26 am »

In yet more evidence of the blinding idiocy of dwarves, I have set up a pond area to fill up some water for a waterwheel and pump since I didn't think a small pump merited the complexity of a full reservoir tap.  Thus far, however, it has been annoyingly slow, and I might just change my mind on that, after all. 

In any event, one of my dwarves who was drawing water from the lower reservoir decided that climbing all the way to the top of the reservoir to get water was too far, and so decided to open the access door (which I had forgotten to lock) to get more directly to the water, instead. 

Cue dangerous terrain cancellation spam. 

Fortunately, I never deal with water without a drain, in this case, to the lower cavern, but it's still mind-boggling that they'd even try that one.  (They shouldn't even see a valid path to anything from there!)

In other news, for someone whose lower spine was severed, my weaponsmith seems awfully spry.  She doesn't need a crutch or anything, she just got stitches to her spinal cord, and away she went!  I haven't dealt with hospitals that much until now (as I haven't had such a ridiculous string of accidents involving what appear to be predatory dwarf-seeking logs that levitate until they can pounce upon unsuspecting dwarves, as I refuse to believe they could ALL manage to fall ONLY when a dwarf is underneath them) but any injury a dwarf can survive the trip to the hospital with in this version seems to be healed before the surgery is even over!
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41950 on: June 18, 2015, 02:35:04 am »

My gurad captain was crippled for life in a fight and cannot stand, but he did beat up some unconscious people in the fight that made him like this.
One wheel short of a wagon

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41951 on: June 18, 2015, 07:51:54 am »

Someone cane to my fort who was a great striker and a professional kicker. I simply ignored this guy, thinking he was useless and left him out of the military. But when he was the one who had to close the bridge during a siege, he was outside. Suddenly, a few goblins ran close to him... He kicked one and pulped it's head. He grappled another and threw him off the bridge. He broke a shoulder on another and crushed his skull in two hits later. The next got his chest crumpled in with a kick, and finally, he made it to the lever and close the main gate, releasing my militia in their section. These weren't all one hits, kind you, more like five-six hits. I never knew a martial artist could be that strong. Yeah, this guy is the new second in command.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #41952 on: June 18, 2015, 08:21:53 am »

Someone cane to my fort who was a great striker and a professional kicker. I simply ignored this guy, thinking he was useless and left him out of the military. But when he was the one who had to close the bridge during a siege, he was outside. Suddenly, a few goblins ran close to him... He kicked one and pulped it's head. He grappled another and threw him off the bridge. He broke a shoulder on another and crushed his skull in two hits later. The next got his chest crumpled in with a kick, and finally, he made it to the lever and close the main gate, releasing my militia in their section. These weren't all one hits, kind you, more like five-six hits. I never knew a martial artist could be that strong. Yeah, this guy is the new second in command.
\he is chuck urist
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41953 on: June 18, 2015, 09:03:43 am »

i once had a farmer with almost no military skills that killed 5 ice wolfs without getting injuried at all.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41954 on: June 18, 2015, 09:06:49 am »

Decided to deploy him alone against a group of troglodytes. He charged at their ranks, arms raised and- fell asleep... He's currently asleep, game paused, with a group of troglodytes about to start wailing on him... Better get my military down there fast, a large group of troglodytes has even killed a legendary axe lord of mine once.
Pages: 1 ... 2795 2796 [2797] 2798 2799 ... 3842