Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2794 2795 [2796] 2797 2798 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6119611 times)

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #41925 on: June 16, 2015, 12:35:36 pm »

That is tragic ???

I think it would remind the soldiers of the fraility of human non-dwarven existance, is all. But your's is cooler.

Dwarf Fortress, where people that play with trains are more dangerous than people that play with spears :D
XD
On the plus side, my fort has an excess of meat now. Plus my archer squad if fully equipped with cat leather armor
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41926 on: June 16, 2015, 12:53:59 pm »

That is tragic ???

I think it would remind the soldiers of the fraility of human non-dwarven existance, is all. But your's is cooler.

Dwarf Fortress, where people that play with trains are more dangerous than people that play with spears :D

What i know of DF healthcare i owe to minecarts.

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41927 on: June 16, 2015, 01:52:06 pm »

Spent about a year ingame expanding the aboveground portion of my fort vertically. Many stoneware bricks were used (cause I finally hot magma and started crapping them out of about 12 magma kilns, along with pots and other useful things).

Raised the main outer wall from its original 2 high with an anti-climber overhang to 5 high, and the main citadel was breaking 15z levels high....
game crashed, realized i hadnt saved in a couple hours of play

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41928 on: June 16, 2015, 07:55:10 pm »

The 101-z pump stack project is looking to take more like 5-7 years rather than the initial projected 3. That's fine... Picksling is still technically just an outpost, and we're not looking for migrant waves until after that project and some others are finished. I just need to remember to keep designating screw pumps in the right order.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41929 on: June 16, 2015, 07:59:49 pm »

Tried to migrate my entire fort underground, using a section of cave moss for the animals, and only having hunters and woodcutters go above ground...

Five in game years later, I've ended up with a massive above ground castle with a decent basement.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41930 on: June 17, 2015, 04:37:22 am »

DFHack's profession/dwarf skill management system seems a bit buggy. I was doing an unretire on a demon-besieged fort when it up and crashed after I tried to use the profession saving/applying bits.

Ah well, I never really wanted to go back there anyway. Too much death, too many unfulfilled dreams. Riddledfences was a fun time to get back into the swing of things, but Picksling is my baby now.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41931 on: June 17, 2015, 07:54:38 am »

A minor tragedy has struck again at Steamplains.  I swear, I'm not sure if it's jinxed or not, because I have yet to get a fatality, but I've never had this many accidents since the first time I ever had a serious fort...

I was completing construction of my secondary greenhouse, which is in the one regional tile of "tropical" land in an otherwise temperate map.  (I wanted a farm for tropical crops.) It's basically a wooden oval whose soil I dug down to the aquifer layer that I have yet to put a roof over.  However, it had turned out that a hanging natural soil ramp along one of the walls for some reason.  Seeing it was closer to the top than the bottom, I built some stairs down from the roof, rather than up from the floor.  When I channeled the tile, I designated the stairs deconstructed... and instead of pulling the log from the deconstructed stairs up with them, the dwarf chose to drop the log onto a hauler directly below. 

"Ol' Ed" (a dwarf who arrived at my fortress at the age of 155, and thus, someone who started out on death's doorstep,) was struck three times by a spinning log, although oddly, the first strike was deflected by a wool dress.  The second bruised the lung, and the third mashed the left hand into an unrecognizable mess.

Even more freakishly bizarrely, "Doc Dour" was actually on duty for once (after completing a threshing job), and did medicine without my having to turn off all sorts of things manually, or force some other dwarf to perform medicine for him while he took a break after taking a nap.

Because of the compound fracture in the hand, Ol' Ed is stuck in a traction bench for now.

For those who wondered about my militia captain, it turns out that I was wrong about what caused the end of the giant toad rampage - one of my squad leaders actually got down into the fight just long enough to shield bash the giant toad directly into a cage trap, so the cave croc did nothing.  The militia captain is now back at full strength after my untrained mayor sutured her injuries.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41932 on: June 17, 2015, 11:17:38 am »

Tried to migrate my entire fort underground, using a section of cave moss for the animals, and only having hunters and woodcutters go above ground...

Five in game years later, I've ended up with a massive above ground castle with a decent basement.
This made me chuckle :)

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41933 on: June 17, 2015, 11:39:46 am »

Lost several dwarves to chain-reacting wearbeasts (having a faster computer also means less time to respond to unusual events).

The best mechanic wound up bedridden for months(?) before going berserk. :(

I probably should've channeled a spot out from under him.  Guess I'll have to train up a new mechanic. 

This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41934 on: June 17, 2015, 02:28:22 pm »

In 250 The Mechanisms of Brightness of The Systemic Gem founded Greaterstockades. I finally managed to gen a world where the migrants are real historical figures instead of randomly rolled clones. I like my silly little neckbeards to have at least some flavor in them.

This time the migrants appear to be coming from a settlement conquered by goblins 175 years ago. These dwarves have been citizens of a goblin civilization from birth; why they have decided to return to dwarven culture after so many years is a mystery to me. During their years under goblin yoke they seem to have learned some very undwarven habits...

...like murder. Several of them have actually murdered their fellow dwarves in some personal dispute or another. I'm now very interested in seeing whether they'll continue their goblin ways in my fortress.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41935 on: June 17, 2015, 02:53:37 pm »

How did you get the historical migrants? Some people have all the luck... :P
One wheel short of a wagon

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41936 on: June 17, 2015, 02:58:24 pm »

he, onee question, now that my fort has a huge amount of cat bones. What should i do with them?
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Sig-texts!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #41937 on: June 17, 2015, 03:00:26 pm »

Bolts or crafts.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41938 on: June 17, 2015, 03:01:50 pm »

Bolts or crafts.
ooh, is there a way one can make a display or something for crafts. I want to make a memorial to the great kitty rail road disaster of 120
GENERATION 31:
Sig-texts!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41939 on: June 17, 2015, 03:07:46 pm »

Dump then forbid. Or stockpile selectively.

Try decorating for a real reminder...
One wheel short of a wagon
Pages: 1 ... 2794 2795 [2796] 2797 2798 ... 3842