Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2792 2793 [2794] 2795 2796 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6119574 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #41895 on: June 14, 2015, 06:10:23 pm »

Ah, of course. I suppose parallel strips for breeding grazers? Or some more complex design?
One wheel short of a wagon

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41896 on: June 14, 2015, 06:33:30 pm »

I got bored with holding goblin prisoners* and decided to "let them go".

Which was a drop of 10-11 levels into the upper cavern.

Onto a surface floored with gold bars.

On which I had dumped the lignite remains of a forgotten beast I had killed.

Which I had lit on fire.

===
* - One thing I noticed after I did this.  I had not seen a goblin siege for 3-4 years.  I knock off the prisoners from at least two previous sieges, and the next season a monster goblin siege shows up.  Almost as if there was something like a biome limit affecting how many goblin groups could be represented on the map at once.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

keyreper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41897 on: June 14, 2015, 06:37:16 pm »

im pretty sure your supposed to have a bit more dwarves before you get a king/queen

is this a good or bad thing?
The anwser to life, the universe, and everything as we know it is -MAGMA-

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41898 on: June 14, 2015, 06:55:34 pm »

It means your civilization's previous ruler died and one of your dwarves ascended to the throne. You didn't get the entourage that usually comes with a king/queen.

I'm almost certain that there's an internal party counter for every dwarf and they absolutely must party when it hits zero. To test that theory, go build a party zone (statue garden, dining hall, whatever) and set a burrow to keep all adult dwarves off of it. Then disable every other party zone they have. They'll spam party cancellations so fast it'll make your eyes water.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41899 on: June 14, 2015, 07:28:02 pm »

Ah, of course. I suppose parallel strips for breeding grazers? Or some more complex design?

I've yet to nail down exactly how much space they really need.  Apparently, 5 is plenty for a horse, nowadays. (Although there's the problem of trees/shrubs.)

Anyway, you might as well put two grazers into the same pasture, since the main problem is a combination of making sure they're always next to one another, and the fact that longer pastures = more FPS drain.  A 3x3 pasture is better for FPS than a 1x5 pasture.  (Pathing 2 tiles versus 4 at their worst.)

For egg-layers, the best bet is to just use burrows to keep food haulers away from the eggs, but you can try to use a door, with a 1x3 pasture so that the female can walk out to meet the male, and then lock the door behind her when she lays eggs.   Egglayers are problematic, because the male needs to be next to them at the moment they decide to lay eggs, or the eggs are infertile.  Of course, you only need a couple actually set to breed...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #41900 on: June 14, 2015, 07:47:23 pm »

I'm almost certain that there's an internal party counter for every dwarf and they absolutely must party when it hits zero.

The answer is yes:

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Syndrome

Quote from: The wiki
PARTIED_OUT   How long before the creature will decide to attend another party. Starts at 3+ months and counts down to zero.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41901 on: June 14, 2015, 08:03:22 pm »

My legendary armour smith is currently running his beard over rocks, smoothing floors. Man... I think I may have too many dwarves already. I have so many idle dwarves, 10-20 on average, and that's with three industries running, engravements going, and stone to haul. In fact, I'm not even mining that much. I'm content with the iron I have.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41902 on: June 14, 2015, 09:10:10 pm »

I somehow managed to pull the wrong lever.

It turns out that the lever that opens up the original entrance drawbridge (which I wanted to deconstruct, as I have outgrown it) was right next to the "release the trapped beastie DO NOT PULL IF NOT DEAD" lever.  As such, I just released a giant toad I was leaving as marksdwarf target practice into my fort. 

Now, I'm not a total idiot, I left some lockable hatches above its exit, and I actually put the hazardous creature taming pit just under the marksdwarf live fire practice creature, so there's some cage traps around, but I have no particular method of actually making use of those things, as the first warning I had that I'd pulled the wrong lever was looking at my drawbridge, waiting for it to go down, when all of a sudden I get a combat report that one of my marksdwarves just had her ear bitten off.  Turns out, as soon as the marksdwarf saw a valid path to that toad, she took off like a suicidal lightning bolt to go swipe ineffectually at the toad. This meant getting inside the trap ring.

In further "how stupid ARE you?!" news, my marksdwarf (a captain, no less,) has her masterwork copper crossbow and her bronze shield strapped to her torso, and is trying to punch the giant toad to death.

I am currently debating whether to send in a rescue squad, or let her suffer the consequences of her own stupidity. 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 09:19:07 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41903 on: June 14, 2015, 09:17:55 pm »

I suggest dropping her in the cavern for five years.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

In other news, I've produced tons of crystal glass flasks, and am packing golden salve in them. Man, this stuff is expensive. 3700 on average, because of a legendary glass maker. Not as expensive as other things, and it's not as fast making as the porcelain goods, but it's another way to make cash.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41904 on: June 14, 2015, 09:54:10 pm »

Update:

The combat went around as well as you'd think at first.  The marksdwarf captain punches bruised fat, and the toad punches bruised and stopped her heart, but being DF, that's no big deal.  Then the toad had the terrible idea to wrestle with her, and snapped her right ankle tendon, causing her to fall unconscious, but not before she managed to get in a lucky nose scratch that turned the organ red. 

Knocking my captain unconscious was a tactical miscalculation, as it meant that it focused far more attacks on her head, which had a steel helm, (rather than the bone helm I'd assigned...) instead of the leather armor on her torso, and it started doing significantly less damage. 

Meanwhile, I set up a meeting zone behind the toad, and let my tamed cave crocodile out of its pasture, and it migrated out into sight range with the giant toad.  It didn't actually do serious damage, but the ensuing scuffle knocked the toad into the cage traps.

I'm not entirely sure on the status of the captain.  No body part is worse than yellow besides the ear and ankle, but there's a lot of blood and she's faint. 

Doc Dour was well prepared for this, and is already sleeping.

EDIT:
She seems unconcerned by this, however, and as soon as my captain woke up from her pain coma, she ignored her bleeding torso, and went to go get a drink without even bothering with medical attention.  (In spite of having a completely destroyed ankle and no crutch...)

Also, she now "no longer cares about anything" after just one fight.  I didn't think you could get that in a single fight that literally only lasted a dozen punches before you fall unconscious. 

Spoiler: on my captain (click to show/hide)

EDIT 2:
After waking up from being asleep, Doc Dour went on break.  I gave up and assigned my mayor to treat the wounded after a dwarf finally chased the captain down and dragged her to bed. (Presumably against a blistering verbal abuse for pulling her away from attempting kicking puppies with her bloody mangled foot.)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 10:28:53 pm by NW_Kohaku »
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41905 on: June 14, 2015, 10:12:45 pm »

Doc Dour was well prepared for this, and is already sleeping.

My broker does the same thing.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41906 on: June 14, 2015, 10:20:41 pm »

Armoursmith has produced probably three squads worth of masterwork iron. Now, time to train a weaponsmith. Legendary cook is producing roasts. Mostly masterwork blackberry roasts... Ehh... Even tried putting a flour stockpile right beside him, he still runs for the berries and mushrooms. Might just link that stockpile to him. The draconian merchants left, and happened to have a masterwork crystal glass vial full of golden salve in their loot. Glassmaker is now depressed after the defaming of his art. Despite the dozens of masterwork goblets...

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41907 on: June 14, 2015, 10:57:03 pm »

Why the bloody f#$*ing hell do dwarves take ownership of clothing and store it if they're wearing full steel plate?! I need that Armok-damned clothing for the few dwarves and dwarflets in the fort that DON'T WEAR STEEL ARMOR. GIVE THAT STUFF THE F#$* BACK TO THE F$&%ING STOCKPILE YOU BEARDED BASTARDS.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41908 on: June 15, 2015, 09:46:00 am »

It's fun to read this as though all these things are happening in the same fort and nobody has any idea what is going on in their own section, much less the ones everyone else works on.

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41909 on: June 15, 2015, 11:25:37 am »

project that thing i talked about with kohaku mk.5 or so is go.

wish me luck.
Pages: 1 ... 2792 2793 [2794] 2795 2796 ... 3842