Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2790 2791 [2792] 2793 2794 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6119427 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #41865 on: June 13, 2015, 06:35:24 pm »

I dropped a dwarf into the first cavern and left him with only copper armour and a sword months ago... Five game years later, a forgotten beast shows up... I checked, followed it a little. Suddenly, a legendary swordsdwarf jumps out and cuts him up! This was on the third cavern layer. This dwarf had wandered around aimlessly for five years, killing everything he saw and gaining so many skills. There's dead skeletons everywhere!
What a badass. Why'd you dump him in the caverns in the first place?
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #41866 on: June 13, 2015, 06:47:02 pm »

I've done that type of thing so I have somebody down there mapping it. I use kittens to the same effect.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41867 on: June 13, 2015, 06:48:15 pm »

A weaponsmith is currently working on some bismuth bars. He demanded those over anything else. It has terrible edge weapon characteristics, but it's not too bad in terms of density. I don't know what to wish for.

Well, he made a warhammer. I guess I can have my militia commander dual wield that and the gold warhammer - pink and gold. :D
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 06:53:52 pm by ImagoDeo »
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41868 on: June 13, 2015, 06:48:52 pm »

I'm kinda worried about the miasma this might cause...

http://imgur.com/N3Xm0NU
It's a dwarf.  Their natural habitat is "trapped on the wrong side of a wall".

Flinging children halfway across the map to land in magma is good, wholesome fun, but extramarital reproduction?  Why, that's just unseemly!

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41869 on: June 13, 2015, 07:15:09 pm »

just so long as it gets into a stockpile right away, you can sell/give it to the next traders and not need to worry about the miasma.
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41870 on: June 13, 2015, 07:16:14 pm »

just so long as it gets into a stockpile right away, you can sell/give it to the next traders and not need to worry about the miasma.

The rotten egg smell though... God damn would that be monstrous if it did happen.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41871 on: June 13, 2015, 09:23:17 pm »

Heh, in my fort, every single prepared food has egg in it, and about a third of my prepared meals are entirely egg.

It's not like I'm making an all-poultry fort or anything, either.  I have several thousand plants and leaves in stock.  My cook just LOVES him some eggs.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41872 on: June 13, 2015, 09:26:53 pm »

I dropped him in there because he used my precious star ruby on his day job. He went into a mood, and decorated something with my one star ruby. That was going to go on a burning steel battle axe along with the roc leather. But no! So I'd sentenced him to death, and hoped he'd put on a good show before he died.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Ljas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41873 on: June 13, 2015, 09:54:54 pm »

The fortress Masterlance, 252-04-02, population 81. The outer courtyard wasn't walled in yet before the first siege came. Not that it would've been a problem, except I completely forgot there was a tower nearby. 60 walking corpses, and four necromancers. I can wall myself in, but I have poultry inside, and the cavern entrance is outside. This is going to be loads of !!Fun!!

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41874 on: June 13, 2015, 10:11:42 pm »

In other news, catapults can shoot stones across 200 tiles of sea; and if the stone ends up falling to the floor, it even arrives intact. Could be used to transport building materials across an embark. Minecart airmail is not so promising: the cart can bounce off the water if it comes in shallow enough, but touches the surface once every seven steps and loses ~25% of current speed on each contact, which limits the whole range after the first contact with water to 52 tiles when starting at max ramp speed.
Congratulations on inventing Dwarven Speedboats.
If the cart reaches the other end of the water and there's a track will it automatically attach itself?
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41875 on: June 13, 2015, 10:24:56 pm »

In other news, catapults can shoot stones across 200 tiles of sea; and if the stone ends up falling to the floor, it even arrives intact. Could be used to transport building materials across an embark. Minecart airmail is not so promising: the cart can bounce off the water if it comes in shallow enough, but touches the surface once every seven steps and loses ~25% of current speed on each contact, which limits the whole range after the first contact with water to 52 tiles when starting at max ramp speed.

You could always use waypoints.  A few islands of impulse ramps to re-ignite ramp speed for another jump.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41876 on: June 13, 2015, 10:33:46 pm »

Muahahahahahaha! A webspitting forgotten beast, very similar to the one that killed my legendary badasses back in my favorite ever fort - Valefortress - has appeared in the third cavern layer. I shall add it to my collection...

Forgotten beast silk should make good clothing for the few non-steel-clad civvies.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41877 on: June 13, 2015, 10:41:26 pm »

If the cart reaches the other end of the water and there's a track will it automatically attach itself?
Other questions:
Can carts also skip along magma? Sail the magma sea!
Do they need to be magma safe to do so? Will a wooden cart become a !!wooden cart!! Will metal carts melt?
Does it contents ever fly out? Transport materials, offer pleasure cruises, sentence dwarfs to death by marooning, etc.
If a cart full of magma is submerged in the ocean does it cast obsidian? Could be used to create artificial islands of natural stone without the need for long magmaducts.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41878 on: June 13, 2015, 10:42:54 pm »

Forgotten beast silk should make good clothing for the few non-steel-clad civvies.

As far as I know, you might as well just capture cave spiders or giant cave spiders.  At least GCS silk is worth more.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41879 on: June 13, 2015, 10:44:21 pm »

If you put a fire breather, web shooter, or magma crab in the cart and launch it, does it shoot it's projectiles while it flies?
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.
Pages: 1 ... 2790 2791 [2792] 2793 2794 ... 3842