Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2789 2790 [2791] 2792 2793 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6119381 times)

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #41850 on: June 13, 2015, 03:10:03 am »

Just caught a forgotten beast for it's fire proof filaments. :D
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
it needs modification though. The cat is out of range most of the time.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41851 on: June 13, 2015, 04:24:18 am »

I don't appoint a hammerer at all.
They only...hammer.
I'm severely tempted to demote my Commander and promote him to Hammerer. Point? He's got a golden artifact warhammer and is a hammerdwarf himself. I'm utterly terrified by the idea that any Dwarf in the Fort can at any moment be executed on the whim of a neurotic noble Dwarf. Considering it is a Prison Fort... I must have Dwarven justice, or it just won't be right.
Check the wiki.

Gold is a shitty military weapon for everything but hammers. For hammers it is the second best material in the game because it's heavy. Steel, OTOH, is a bad weapon for hammers because it's light. The only thing worse for a hammer then steel is candy.

So your best bet is probably to mine enough candy to make one warhammer, equip your hammerer with a featherwod crossbow, etc.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41852 on: June 13, 2015, 04:26:29 am »

So what's the best hammer material then?
One wheel short of a wagon

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #41853 on: June 13, 2015, 04:54:51 am »

Platinum, I think. It's also the best pit floor material.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41854 on: June 13, 2015, 04:59:05 am »

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Dwarves with a single preference in their moodable skill will definitely make that artifact, right? Seem to, in my experience...
One wheel short of a wagon

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41855 on: June 13, 2015, 05:40:05 am »

on a side note: how to assign a weak ass hammer to my hammerer...i have lost 3 hammer lords to my current hammerer because he uses steel hammer
According to a recent post in another thread, you want to equip him with a Hammer made of Candy or possibly Steel, or Crossbow made of the lightest wood you have available.

Looking at the wiki page on weapons a Xbow should be smaller/lighter than a War Hammer of the same material, & wood has really bad impact values.

So ideally a Basic-quality Feather Wood Xbow?

And maybe assign your cook or bookkeeper to job?

Pearofclubs

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of -it-
    • View Profile
« Reply #41856 on: June 13, 2015, 07:36:25 am »

on a side note: how to assign a weak ass hammer to my hammerer...i have lost 3 hammer lords to my current hammerer because he uses steel hammer
According to a recent post in another thread, you want to equip him with a Hammer made of Candy or possibly Steel, or Crossbow made of the lightest wood you have available.

Looking at the wiki page on weapons a Xbow should be smaller/lighter than a War Hammer of the same material, & wood has really bad impact values.

So ideally a Basic-quality Feather Wood Xbow?

And maybe assign your cook or bookkeeper to job?

Use steel only if you're looking for !fun!.
Sure, its tied with iron for being the second lightest non-candy metal, but those impact values are no joke. Steel is usually considered to be roughly on par with silver for blunt weapons.

Personally, I don't use it for hammers. It's too much hassle :P

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #41857 on: June 13, 2015, 10:06:49 am »

I have prepared to go to a new fort on a new world, where I'll be meeting with all civilizations (Which are elves, humans, dwarves, and of course, the goblins).

The surroundings are temperate, yet heavily forested, with some very deep soil, and only one aquifer tile in the lower left corner of the entire map (The ocean).

Not sure if I should stick with the typical surface castle design I usually did with my forts, or if it's high time to do a new fort design.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #41858 on: June 13, 2015, 10:52:29 am »

To improve the value of my dwarves' dormitory, I made some pretty microcline statues for them! They're all of dwarves being horribly killed by wild animals.

Oh, apparently they're mostly of a dragon killing dwarves back at the dawn of time (well, year seven). I guess the sculptor loves his history and mythology.

Edit: visited by keas and ravens. My fort is almost twenty percent trained marksdwarves. I actually feel really sorry for them.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 12:25:46 pm by Arx »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41859 on: June 13, 2015, 02:23:06 pm »

I dropped a dwarf into the first cavern and left him with only copper armour and a sword months ago... Five game years later, a forgotten beast shows up... I checked, followed it a little. Suddenly, a legendary swordsdwarf jumps out and cuts him up! This was on the third cavern layer. This dwarf had wandered around aimlessly for five years, killing everything he saw and gaining so many skills. There's dead skeletons everywhere!
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41860 on: June 13, 2015, 02:23:57 pm »

A werebeast visited. Time to activate the militia.

No, wait. We have no milita yet. Whoops.

Everybody bravely cowered in the dining room while the werebeast smashed a few workshops and chewed up three tame animals, then turned into a naked goblin and ran away. Yay?

In other news, catapults can shoot stones across 200 tiles of sea; and if the stone ends up falling to the floor, it even arrives intact. Could be used to transport building materials across an embark. Minecart airmail is not so promising: the cart can bounce off the water if it comes in shallow enough, but touches the surface once every seven steps and loses ~25% of current speed on each contact, which limits the whole range after the first contact with water to 52 tiles when starting at max ramp speed.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #41861 on: June 13, 2015, 02:27:29 pm »

I dropped a dwarf into the first cavern and left him with only copper armour and a sword months ago... Five game years later, a forgotten beast shows up... I checked, followed it a little. Suddenly, a legendary swordsdwarf jumps out and cuts him up! This was on the third cavern layer. This dwarf had wandered around aimlessly for five years, killing everything he saw and gaining so many skills. There's dead skeletons everywhere!
What did he eat? The flesh of his victims? 0_o
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41862 on: June 13, 2015, 03:35:59 pm »

Either he's a vampire, or he did that vermin hunting thing I've seen them do. If he is a vampire, it would explain why he's tough enough to do all this with poor equipment.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41863 on: June 13, 2015, 03:48:05 pm »

Finished the minecart magma elevator (now working completely automatic and w/o supervision) by taking a ready loading design (four impulse ramps + dropping the cart on the first one, s/o dubbed it "Urists cradle") since I couldn't get my (unpowered) designs to work. Realised then that lifting magma on a single lane (minecart returns on the same track) to fill a reservoir to have convenient magma source from above for proper magma & water plumbing is not only slow as hell (little above 1 minecart per day), but also quite pointless given that the fortress is between the lowest cavern and the magma sea. Well, I consider it as a mandate.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 12:41:10 pm by taptap »

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41864 on: June 13, 2015, 05:39:05 pm »

Forgive me, Armok, for I have save-scummed.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?
Pages: 1 ... 2789 2790 [2791] 2792 2793 ... 3842